Smoker recipies

Big Cliff

4 hours ago, smitty55 said:

When a pan gets going they can smoke pretty good for a while. I've just started using pellets the last few years after my daughter gave me some Jack Daniels brand ones for Christmas one year. Now I buy Pitmaster pellets by the 40 lb bag. I've definitely noticed pellets provide a much thicker and stickier smoke than shavings for sure, it shows on the inside of the smoker, the racks and the front door edge big time.

Here's another idea for you that I mentioned in the cooking thread somewhere. I've been doing spiced and smoked pork chops for a long time now, they are usually a staple in my freezer. When those family size variety pack of chops go on sale I grab two of them which is just right for the 5 racks. I've played with many Clubhouse spice mixes over the years, often with a different flavour on each side. Funny enough I decided to try Curry on one side of a half batch just because it was in my spice cabinet and I love to play with flavours. Well go figure I became an instant fan and now it's always on a half batch. At 160° for 3 hours, with maybe a rack switch at 2 hours they end up just starting to stiffen up and take a nice colour on. To me they're like half cooked at this point, 3 to 4 minutes on a hot grill or cast iron leaves a touch of pink, just right. We always have the best ones fresh for dinner, and the ones my girls don't hear about get vac sealed in pairs usually and frozen. When I want a special treat for dinner months later I can just take a pack or two out knowing that I can bring it to room temp and in 5 minutes at high temp I get to enjoy a treat no restaurant could even offer.  ;)

Cheers

Sounds amazing. I really like the idea of loading the freezer up with quick and super tasty options. I’m a big fan of curries. 

On 12/7/2021 at 5:56 AM, Hack_Fisherman said:

Sounds amazing. I really like the idea of loading the freezer up with quick and super tasty options. I’m a big fan of curries. 

So I was in IG on Friday and saw that they had family packs of 5 boneless sirloin chops on sale for $2.49 lb and I couldn't resist that price so I grabbed two packs and also grabbed a dual pack of pork tenderloin to use all the racks. One side of 5 chops got Montreal steak spice and the other 5 got a good dose of curry powder. The other side will get a Mango Chipotle spice and the other will get a Traeger Blackened Sakatchewan rub which I quite like. The tenderloins got a good smearing of mustard and then a good coating of Meathead's Memphis Dust rub that I made. Here's the recipe for anyone interested. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe/

Things are looking up. :)

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

• Like 2

How long will smoked meats and fish last in the fridge? Can I assume that freezing some things after smoking won’t work well?  Like fish etc. A few of my of coworkers is recommending I go with a pit boss bbq-smoker when my regular bbq is sent off to the scrap pile. 
image.jpeg.131839d301f15b6a86ff65d4521ab871.jpeg

is smoking a good way to salvage freezer burned foods? 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

12 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

How long will smoked meats and fish last in the fridge? Can I assume that freezing some things after smoking won’t work well?  Like fish etc. A few of my of coworkers is recommending I go with a pit boss bbq-smoker when my regular bbq is sent off to the scrap pile. 
image.jpeg.131839d301f15b6a86ff65d4521ab871.jpeg

is smoking a good way to salvage freezer burned foods? 

As far as I know there is no good way to salvage freezer burned foods but if you vac seal things before freezing them you won't have a problem with freezer burn. I have packages of fish in my freezer from last winter and they are just as good now as the day they were caught. I often do things like smoked salmon or trout then vac seal and freeze it, occasionally I have found a package that has been shuffled to the bottom of the freezer and been there for many months, never a problem. 

That looks like a real kick ass bbq/smoker/do just about anything unit but I personally wouldn't spend the money on it unless you are really serious about smoking one heck of a lot of stuff. I have my little chief smoker and it does just about anything I want but each to their own. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 6:12 PM, Hack_Fisherman said:

How long will smoked meats and fish last in the fridge?

Not very long, they get eaten!  😉

But the real answer to that is, it depends on what it is.  Smoked salami, weeks for sure.  Jerky, possibly months.  Smoked salmon, I suggest less than a week.

And as others have said, there is no rescue for freezer-burned meat.  Mind you, I have had this happen with a larger cut, and been able to trim off the bad parts and still salvage most or some of the meat.  But a badly freezer-burned piece, especially something thin, is dog food or compost.

Doug

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:28 AM, Big Cliff said:

That looks like a real kick ass bbq/smoker/do just about anything unit but I personally wouldn't spend the money on it unless you are really serious about smoking one heck of a lot of stuff.

x 2.  Pretty spendy I think, and it probably takes up a fair bit of room on your deck, or whatever?  And for sure you would need to cover something like that to keep it out of the rain and snow and ice...................

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

You might be able to use freezer burned meat and fish as bear bait, that would be one way to recover it, just let the bear eat it before you shoot it 😀, kind of like "how do you unscramble an egg?" Feed it to a chicken 😊

Good call.  I did have some freezer burned deer liver a couple years back that went into the bear bait.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took a drive around Lake Scugog yesterday and stopped at Freedom Canoe & Kayak in Caesarea. They have a huge selection of wood pellets for smokers and some really nice looking smoker/grills combinations. If you are in the area and need smoker supplies check them out, great people and very customer oriented.  paddlefreedom.com 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...