Smoker recipies

Big Cliff

22 hours ago, akaShag said:

Where did you get the whole pork belly?  The last three times I made side bacon I had to make do with pre-cut strips of pork belly from Costco.  They are only about an inch and a half wide, so it's harder to slice the finished product.

You don't mention curing salt, hopefully you do use a cure?

Doug

Got it from Sobey's $3.88/lb like BC mentioned. I do use a cure, part of the brine mixture. I make allot of jerky so I have lots of cure that came with some jerky kits I bought, I don't use the kits anymore and I'm out of cure now so need to order some.

23 hours ago, mamona said:

This is nice, cannot wait for the next pics. Why are brining with brown sugar?

Never had brown sugar bacon ? google it. Allot of brine reciepts for home made bacon call for it, figured while I was at it I would add some maple syrup, it's bacon gonna taste fab anyway no matter how it turns out LOL

when it's done I'll slice and vac seal it in portions for 2.

16 minutes ago, FILTHY OAR said:

Got it from Sobey's $3.88/lb like BC mentioned. I do use a cure, part of the brine mixture. I make allot of jerky so I have lots of cure that came with some jerky kits I bought, I don't use the kits anymore and I'm out of cure now so need to order some.

Are you anywhere close to Lindsay, I have about a cup of extra cure that I can spare. Should keep you going for quite a while. I just buy it from a local butcher shop. 

13 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

Are you anywhere close to Lindsay, I have about a cup of extra cure that I can spare. Should keep you going for quite a while. I just buy it from a local butcher shop. 

Thx BC but I'm down in Windsor, I'll buy it by the 1kg bag from Amazon $22 bucks, I make a lot of jerky so it wont go to waste.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FILTHY OAR said:

Thx BC but I'm down in Windsor, I'll buy it by the 1kg bag from Amazon $22 bucks, I make a lot of jerky so it wont go to waste.

Sounds like you make a lot of prepared meats, please see my pm to you.

Doug

Hi Doug, got your PM, I'm going to pass on the offer but thank you... only because I've resorted to making my own receipts as I'm no longer a fan of the kits and really only make home made bacon and jerky, I do smoke allot of things but not for preservation,  if I ever ( which might be soon ) get into making pepperoni and sausage I'll revisit your offer. 

Cheers

Jeff

I do a cold smoke for side bacon.  3 pans of maple chips in my Big Chief, each pan takes a bit more than an hour, so four to five hours in a cold smoke.

For me, a cold smoke is one where I don't put the box over top of the smoker........😁

and back to MJIG, I cut mine with a knife, but I did once use a buddy's meat slicer and it did a dandy job.  I freeze the chunks unsliced, and slice them when they are going into the pan.

Doug

Edited by akaShag
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, misfish said:

3hrs ?

What temp are you smoking that at ?

It was actually 3.5hr's to reach an internal temp of 150 deg F and I smoked it @ 210deg F with a blend of pellets, cheery, apple and maple. I just fired a pc up and OMG, I will never buy store bought bacon again, the best thing is you can slice it however thick you want it.

12 minutes ago, FILTHY OAR said:

What are you getting out of your set up ? The pellet smokers I've had Pit Boss 820 and upgraded last year to the GMG Daniel Boom plus, both go over 500f and as low as 150F

LOL

I am old style Little Chief smoker. I get better temps in the summer months. LOL