Smoker recipies

Big Cliff

Just started another pork belly for bacon . Do not mind paying primo for a piece of quality pork belly. This time I am going to salt cure first for 5 days,then brown sugar for 1. Think my salty taste came from the brown sugar trapping salt on the meat . Also have you seen the price of smoked pork hocks ? Stupid crazy. I picked up 2 chunks for $4 at Starskys in Mississauga . That is already a savings of $10. Have them in a brine mix same as I used for the turkey breast . Will leave for 3 days then throw in the smoker. Make soup mid week with them . :good:

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

What a busy day. Boxing day travels,bacon in the smoker then home to make my soup. I decided to go with a Hungarian tribute to my great grandmother. I am not sure I made it exactly the same,but it tastes and looks the same. What would I know,I was a young boy whom liked to eat.

The hock was super tender. Boiled for 1 hour, pulled and cleaned the bone off. Everything back in the pot. Huge sweet onion,celery, the rind and bones and the meat. Once simmered for another hour, in goes the tomatoes. Simmering away for the next hour. Pull the bones and rind before serving.

Dang it smells and tastes great. Only regret is, I wish I had of smoked a half dozen of these hocks. I know now .:good:

dxYzFXR.jpg

Y8FK7SB.jpg

qqgxljA.jpg

While that is getting happy happy, I must tend to my smoking bacon outside. Pan #3. Sweet maple chunks this time.:wub:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

WHY, WHY, WHY ,is this so far down the threads ? All this time on our hands and ya,ll aint smoking someth,n ?

Teriyaki beef jerky

Cut with the grain,sat in a bag of marinade for 24 hours, smoked with one pan of hickory to get just a little smoke flavor . Has a nice chew / melt, in yer mouth texture .:good:

IMI0M1c.jpg

SbOmJaB.jpg

a7whbMf.jpg

Got some pork loin bathing for 7 days to make some Canadian bacon . That will be put on the smoker next Friday .

Be safe all

B

• 1 month later...

Brisket.jpg.14cd58f1bde43e6b84819ae6ea61a8c0.jpg

Sobeys have brisket on special, $4.99/lb so I decided with this nice fresh cool weather it was the perfect time to replenish my supply. Simple Texas style soon to be chilled, sliced, and vac sealed (after a few samples 😉

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Not sure why I am not getting notices when new posts are put on here..........

Well stay tooned,as I got one coming in a couple of hours. Another labor of love today. Do not fret,I am wearing an apron. :devil:

Edited by misfish

Turkey legs and thighs have been bathing for 3 days. Time to hit the smoker. They were on sale at food basic, and I needed to smoke something, so why not,,,,,,,,,,,

2 pans Apple, 1 pan Pecan. 1st time using pecan. I was thinking fruit and nutty. Held a good steady temp for 5.5 hours. Basted every 2 hours with a mix of,maple syrup , Italian olive oil and dried tomato to keep the meat moist.

Looks good to me

DSCF5828.JPG.7a26c43ee30970f93bce1b393fb438b7.JPG

DSCF5829.JPG.71b5553ff028051127545b7cdd8cfb5b.JPG

DSCF5830.JPG.5f1fe9d5d532e7c157854a498c0b066b.JPG

DSCF5833.JPG.dc1561a0b998ba0a3ec713f2a47ae72b.JPG

DSCF5834.JPG.20a751457b5dec0c37946005c09e21c8.JPG

DSCF5856.JPG.f7779ebb450e8e5adb3640fb92e87c27.JPG

DSCF5863.JPG.52cc2481dd12b2e4b54a0fa6f83ca7e9.JPG

DSCF5866.JPG.937667c9e21dfbce6a9460cd1ffb0da5.JPG

While the turkey was smoking and the meat loaf cooking,I tied dry  fly's and mini leeches. .

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUSY BUSY BUSY

DSCF5865.JPG.1d7861807601bf1f507e456559f17c85.JPG

17 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Looking good, Brian.

I have never used pecan for smoke wood, never seen it for sale I don't think.  I agree with apple for sure, but I don't recall doing turkey pieces either.  They look delicious!

Doug

I got the bag of pecan  from Cabelas .  I am waiting for the meat to rest before cutting.  Back soon,stay tooned .🤣

7 minutes ago, misfish said:

I got the bag of pecan  from Cabelas .  I am waiting for the meat to rest before cutting.  Back soon,stay tooned .🤣

Those bones and skin etc will make a wicked soup!

Edited by akaShag

13 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Those bones and skin etc will make a wicked soup!

Oh ya.

Just so you are aware,I buy smoked legs from the factory in Mississauga. 

Brandt meats .The pic shows the price of 1 drum .

DSCF5871.JPG.b80783944689fa43043ed7af9d8e4587.JPG

You do the math of what I spent to make 3 plus 2 thighs,,,,,,,,

Oh the taste well, AWESOME .

DSCF5867.JPG.2332054f5a5d6efc49a10dbc19a17afb.JPG

DSCF5869.JPG.f06152b43e3ba306fd933f730d94b665.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 8:59 AM, Big Cliff said:

Sobeys have brisket on special, $4.99/lb so I decided with this nice fresh cool weather it was the perfect time to replenish my supply. Simple Texas style soon to be chilled, sliced, and vac sealed (after a few samples 😉

So when I saw your post last week, I jumped in the car and headed to Sobeys.  I forgot how big a whole brisket is.  Those vacuum packed whole briskets at 4.99 looked great, but no way I can eat 20lbs of brisket.  But they had cut pieces for a bit more, so I got a nice $30 slab for smoking on Canada Day.    thanks for the tip.  I plan to smoke it for about 3 hrs, then wrap in foil and leave it for another 10 hrs or so overnight at some low temp,  Hopefully will be awesome like the last one I did..

Edited by Canuck

Ribs on sale this week NO-FRILLS,,,,,,,,,,,,,:good:

I delivered the 3 legs to a co-worker this morning. Some are having a tougher time then others. Oh the smile . It was all I needed to see. I was told to get a hair cut,but I refuse.LOL

I will do up a big batch of ribs to share as well. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by misfish

• 4 months later...

It's bin awhile , was off the whole summer due to layoff because of covid, been back since mid Aug working from home, but bringing this thread back to life, I've smoked a lot lately ( at least once a week ) here's a few I've done lately...I finish off the smoked burgers on the BBQ, this is a reverse sear, I do it for steaks and chops also....enjoy

so in order

Pinapple jalapeno marinated beer can chicken

pizza attachement for my smoker

Brisket

smoker pizza

Jalapeno dr pepper jerky

pork shoulder

smoked burgers ready for the BBQ

pinapple jalapeno marinated beer can chicken.jpg

pizza oven attachement for the smoker.jpg

brisket.jpg

pizza on the smoker.jpg

jerky.jpg

pork shoulder.jpg

smoked burgers.jpg

Edited by FILTHY OAR
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up Cliff

I had 2 full back rib racks in brine since Monday. Just rinsed off and racked,pat dry,crack peppered and now in the fridge til morning . Then in the smoker they go for the 4-3-1 method.  Granddaughter has been asking for my bacon ribs. I will deliver her share to enjoy . :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...