Smoker recipies

Big Cliff

Temps went off the scale. When I pulled the cover to check the meat, the smoker was super hot.

DSCF5029.JPG.fbfd314b91c3a1c2a36a10bdacc6e971.JPG

DSCF5030.JPG.7083d2bcc32c59098c8f50ff0bd3ad53.JPG

Mini Canadian bacon bits. These will fry up just nice with a trio of fried eggs.

DSCF5034.JPG.70ad1875cce061df1154f089885a2127.JPG

The wrap with tin foil with 3 hrs left ? Well, I just pulled the bone right out.

DSCF5036.JPG.7821ef078d8fa8382ccb945dd35ad8e5.JPG

Taste well, BACON BACON BACON.

Now to get me some trout to smoke.

AH YABBA DABBA DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl

Oh so good

DSCF5042.JPG.9b8f167875df8fd7f40e985b092b6af6.JPG

A note on the reflectix . It sure does keep the heat. So much heat,I was burning my fingers removing the front cover. I do not know what the high temp was, but man it was hot.  Need  a better thermometer .Also another note I took from from this cover, lots of water around the smoker. Condensation.  Might need to remove the top of the wrap ?  For what it,s worth though,the cover did what I wanted. Kept the heat. Need  for more trial and error me thinks.  Had a 1/3 of the ribs today. Another OMG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FILTHY OAR said:

Looks good MISFISH, did ya like the fall off the bone ribs ?,  I do 1-1/2hrs wrapped in my smoker @ 220DEG then unwrap and put back on, this tightins things back up a bit, the less time wrapped the less fall off the bone they will be.

The fall off was a thumbs up with a couple of co-workers. I like the rip the meat off texture. LOL

Will give your tip a try next time.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

This is going to be my 2nd attempt at maken bacon . It,s been in the fridge since last Friday turning everyday .. 2 cups salt,2 cups of brown sugar . There was lots of liquid in the bag when I pulled it out to rinse. It sure sucked the water out that for sure. It now is  resting in the fridge til 6am Saturday, where it will then be on the smoker using hickory chunks.  Quick trip down to Whitby, return and put another pan of chunks . This one looks real good already.  :good:

Could probly hang it and have prosciutto. If I had a cold cellar.  LOL

DSCF5085.JPG.afe9d0cab8bea309d5dd5bffd3160a40.JPG

21 hours ago, misfish said:

This is going to be my 2nd attempt at maken bacon . It,s been in the fridge since last Friday turning everyday .. 2 cups salt,2 cups of brown sugar . There was lots of liquid in the bag when I pulled it out to rinse. It sure sucked the water out that for sure. It now is  resting in the fridge til 6am Saturday, where it will then be on the smoker using hickory chunks.  Quick trip down to Whitby, return and put another pan of chunks . This one looks real good already.  :good:

Could probly hang it and have prosciutto. If I had a cold cellar.  LOL

DSCF5085.JPG.afe9d0cab8bea309d5dd5bffd3160a40.JPG

You can’t make prosciutto out of that, it comes from the leg. Maybe on the Rock :)

• Haha 1

Well it,s another trial and a bit of an error. I thought the salt was only to draw out the moisture ?

I rinsed this piggy off real good, yet it seems to be to salty for my taste,but other then that, it,s pretty darn good. Maybe power wash it next time.LOL

DSCF5087.JPG.8690a7b8b63bb99c1a71ad572f8b1d65.JPG

DSCF5088.JPG.6f7fbaef9004f0a3309673159220e1fb.JPG

DSCF5091.JPG.2c687eb36e5dbb5062144761f7feb497.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FILTHY OAR said:

that bacon looks top notch, great job. My first attempt at pork belly was making pork belly burnt ends, all I can say is OMG. Going to try the bacon thing next.

Thanks

I think I know why it was saltier then I liked . The brown sugar adheres to the meat and really does not wash off completely. So I am thinking it traps the salt with it. Might need to rethink how to do this.

On a side note . The pink curing salt they sell at Cabelas . This is also known as prauge (sp?) powder correct ? I was asking the gal in that section and she was telling me no . I am pretty sure it is .

My next thing to try is Walt Disney turkey ham. :good:

Edited by misfish

Prague Powder #1, also referred to as Tinted Cure or Pink Curing Salt, is used for all types of meats, sausage, fish, and jerky curing. One of the most popular curing salts, Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride as per FDA and USDA regulations. A critical component in the meat curing and sausage making process, Prague Powder #1 is essential to prevent food poisoning. Additionally, Prague Powder #1 provides a distinct flavor and helps to prevent product discoloration. This salt is not to be used asa table salt and is specifically for the meat and curing process.

Prague Powder #1 can be used in the preserving and curing of:

• Semi-dry and cooked meats
  • Sausage
  • Fish
  • Jerky
  • Bacon
  • Ham
  • Pastrami
  • Hard Salami
  • Corned Beef

To cure meat or fish correctly and within food safely guidelines, it is extremely important to use the proper amount of Prague Powder #1. As a curing agent, Prague Powder #1 serves to inhibit bacteria growth and helps to maintain meat flavor and appearance. Too much or too little Pink Curing Salt can adversely affect health, taste, and food quality. Overall it is recommended that you use one ounce of Prague Powder #1 to twenty-five pounds of meat or fish.

• Like 1

One down, one to go. Pot luck Christmas lunch this week. I was asked if I would do something smoked. I said sure .  So, I did up a BC Atlantic salmon side today from Costco . This came skinless and Y bones plucked. Perfect.  It was put in a wet brine.  It sure is delicious. 50/50 wood chunks. First pan apple, 2nd hickory.

DSCF5097.JPG.de23cbd30c38cd083bc5f0d7d6fc7f08.JPG

Before heading to the ice show, I did up a brine of brown sugar,kosher salt, pink pepper corns , cloves and 2 bay leaves.  The turkey breast is bathing til 10 am . Do not disturb. :wub: LOL

DSCF5094.JPG.53d4d1bb25d6c1c29f96b2e1258be31b.JPG

Stay tooned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Woke up 6am to find winds blowing, ice pellets falling. Not prime environment for the smoker .  I was able to tuck it away in a safe spot for today's smoked turkey breast .  This is my first attempt at this. 2 pans of apple chips. Smoked for 4 hours then pulled it and put in the oven as I was not getting the temps I needed to cook the breast even with the  cover. Well after 2 hours in the oven at 275 with the door cracked, I got my breast done. I have yet to taste it, but dang, it smells and looks good. Reached the safe 170 deg. That is when I pulled it, so it would not be dried out . Tented with tinfoil.  Funny thing is,there was this pop up button for when it was done. It never popped up. I am thinking it was stuck due to the brine.

Once it cools off,I will sample it.

DSCF5101.JPG.fa13be2ae965b74161bdad159ce0b961.JPG

DSCF5102.JPG.87f935423423a958194a48bcb1dcb2e2.JPG

• Like 1