Smoker recipies

Big Cliff

3 minutes ago, misfish said:

That is some sweet smok,n there SIR.

I can not bring myself to freezing smoked meats or fish. Probly cuz I end up eating and sharing all of mine.

thanks. I prefer to wolf them down asap but it's nice to have a few ribs for days when I don't want to cook lol. praise be the mighty microwave. Also happy if I get a really nice smoke ring ;)

1 hour ago, misfish said:

:worthy::worthy:

This is snack,n bits :worthy: Please share this. image.png.88c39e11e1c6e9da38e68067e269ff35.png

Dr Pepper Jalapeno smoked jerky, took it off the internet, some call to heat up the ingredients but I did not, marinated  in the fridge for 48hrs. I also did not dry ea strip of meat off, right from the marinade onto the jerky racks and into the smoker. 3hrs tops, I start taking pcs off as they are done.

Ingredients

• 1 2-3 pound beef eye of round roast thin sliced against the grain

For the marinade:

• 2 cups Dr. Pepper
  • 2 jalapenos sliced
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions

• In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients for the marinade. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture has reduced by half. You should have just over a cup of marinade. Chill the marinade completely.
  • Transfer the sliced beef to a gallon sized zip top bag and pour in the marinade. Massage the marinade into the meat and refrigerate for 8-12 hours, or overnight.
  • Preheat your smoker or oven to approximately 170 degrees.
  • Remove the meat from the marinade and dry each strip thoroughly by laying on paper towels. Transfer the strips to the grill grate, jerky rack, or cooling rack and smoke/cook for 2-3 hours (depending on the thickness of your slices, some thicker pieces can take 4-5 hours). Check often after the first hour to be sure your jerky is drying evenly. You are looking for jerky that is firm and still slightly pliable, but not soft. If you bend your jerky and it breaks, you've cooked it a little too long.
  • Place the finished jerky in a gallon zip top bag while it is still warm. Don't seal closed all the way. The jerky will steam in the bag slightly and this step will make the jerky moist. The jerky will last 3-4 days on the counter or 2 weeks in the fridge.
Edited by FILTHY OAR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OMG those are some beautiful looking eats and that jerky sounds amazing! That's one I'm going to have to try, thanks!

Just found my first puffball this year, they are about a month later than normal, I always fry some up (in lots of butter) then dehydrate the rest to use in soups, sauces, and stews but I'm going to try to lightly smoke a slab this year before frying.

Found a nice bunch of chantrells last weekend up North, I'm going to try to find more this weekend and dehydrate them in the smoker. I'm thinking a light hint of smoke on them might produce a unique flavor. Anyone ever tried anything similar with mushrooms?

Puffball.jpg

Nice find Cliff

Puffball.jpg.3a1cad96da92c8953728b6e9b6de3be5.jpg.b733b248de28250603d0d115fc069148.jpg

I got home to clean up today's catch and get in a brine for a smoke. This took up time for my pre made plans of the ribs I have to do this weekend. I thawed out 2 racks. One is with a wet rub. Club house maple hickory. The other is going to be a trial and error. I hope it turns out the way I hope it does. I am thinking it will taste like bacon, and know it will not be fall off the bone, but like a jerky texture. Just a brown sugar and salt dry rub. Both will get happy in their bags til Saturday. I will rinse off the dry cure and let it air dry for 4-5 hours, the other I will lightly rub off the remaining wet rub. Then I will toss them all in the smoker.

DSCF5008.JPG.9e20f207bb5a6456b8bbbb2c3a86202e.JPG

DSCF5009.JPG.0dcbc5fc2a34b6ee4a61e8d79f6e8a5c.JPG

DSCF5010.JPG.527caa886ea8d702eccb8e723f4842b2.JPG

Any thoughts on my bacon taste theory ? I am always open minded to those that have done.

To be continued,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I started the ribs at 10 am, by 11;30 I was not even getting close to 140 deg. It,s 16 deg outside. I have since put the box ( which I saved ) over it and it is climbing. Is it common for these units to not hold the heat at these out side temps ? Maybe I need to rethink about another unit to smoke in cooler weather.

1 hour ago, misfish said:

I started the ribs at 10 am, by 11;30 I was not even getting close to 140 deg. It,s 16 deg outside. I have since put the box ( which I saved ) over it and it is climbing. Is it common for these units to not hold the heat at these out side temps ? Maybe I need to rethink about another unit to smoke in cooler weather.

Quite normal for the Big Chief, cool temps and wind do not help. Here's how I look at it. My main purpose with the smoker is for flavouring, not necessarily worrying about cooking it, although fish will work in them fine. Whether it's ribs, back bacon, pork chops or poultry it's no problem to finish the meat on the grill or fry pan or in the oven to bring it up to temp. So even in the winter there is no problem with smoke production, which is all I mostly care about.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Quite normal for the Big Chief, cool temps and wind do not help. Here's how I look at it. My main purpose with the smoker is for flavouring, not necessarily worrying about cooking it, although fish will work in them fine. Whether it's ribs, back bacon, pork chops or poultry it's no problem to finish the meat on the grill or fry pan or in the oven to bring it up to temp. So even in the winter there is no problem with smoke production, which is all I mostly care about.

Cheers

Thank Smitty

I need to get use to this as far as meats go. You are right though, fish is easy. I reached 150 so far, swapped the racks. High to low ,low to high. They are looking good. Will leave for another 4 hours. I really hope  my bacon taste rib theory works. As for the other racks, I know what to expect with taste.  New menu,  bacon ribs and eggs. LOL

Oh, oh oh oh, my what can I say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I worried for nothing. It is after all, trial and trial and error at times.

I got to 160 with the box cover for 3 hours. Total time 7 hours.

Pull the box off for a look see. Everything looked good to me. Push on the meat  and it was well, good IMO. 

I could not wait no longer to try the  rib taste like bacon.

Well let me tell you, without the frying, it was soooooooooooooooo good. The maple hickory wet rub turned out just as I thought.  DELISH

I put all 6 parts on the grill for a quick char. It really didn't need it, but what the hell. Smoker was right there by the BBQ.

I told my granddaughter I was making rib bacon . She said what ????????.  This will be the real test.

WELL

DSCF5017.JPG.306aa9f82b42a75434045d7fe68f390e.JPG

DSCF5018.JPG.2ebc3d09c186deea280f188328e93e5b.JPG

DSCF5021.JPG.0e1b550c08ac075bbd91cc04f7afedad.JPG

DSCF5022.JPG.63818d7c496691a724f1a94f5c073b78.JPG

DSCF5023.JPG.fcecec5d7f31fb6a2052fe8b6085a21c.JPG

DSCF5024.JPG.118f56b0939ebab13d1f0eb7bda0192d.JPG

DSCF5025.JPG.fd3a05dcc6ad4018afb39c224a2d17c2.JPG

And I got the :good:

DSCF5026.JPG.919bb52341cad00341d7ac17006ac783.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made my own heat cover.

Chief smoker sells a cover. I said to self,I can make that for 1/3 the price. So I did. Same material as in my hut to retain the heat. Will see how much heat I can retain today. 12 degs outside today. I have a batch of bacon ribs and chops on the go right now.

DSCF5028.JPG.dc8e612962b4f28927487b1758d5d8a7.JPG

48 minutes ago, misfish said:

Oh it,s working. Holding at 190 deg.:good:

Pretty good, never would have figured they'd get that hot. I do have one question though. It's very important that old smoke be allowed to escape and not get stale, hence the vents in the top.  With your cover I don't see anywhere for the smoke to escape.

Cheers

Just now, smitty55 said:

Pretty good, never would have figured they'd get that hot. I do have one question though. It's very important that old smoke be allowed to escape and not get stale, hence the vents in the top.  With your cover I don't see anywhere for the smoke to escape.

Cheers

It went on after all the smoke was done. Remember, smoke for flavor. Cover for heat after. :good: