Do you believe in fish putting on the feed bag in the Fall?

jimmer

I'm asking, because I don't believe the fish do this on the lake I live on.  I can go to other lakes and do well on fish that seem to be feeding heavier during the fall.  I can spend hours out on my home lake during the fall and maybe catch a few fish if I work my butt off.  Always seems to be a very small window for the bite.

Just wondering what others thought.

they do out the feed bag on my lake, just some minor adjustments in fish location, bait tends to get washed out of creeks and rivers also moves to pints and drop areas  in lakes some fish will move into river areas but fish are moe concentrated as well so covering a variety of water is key

I think they do put on the feed bag in the fall, shorter daylight hours, cooling temps are a signal to wild things? Some bodies of water are capable of a much bigger feed bag than others? The falt blowing so bad you couldn;t l brawl walleye tournament on Lake Erie last year, the entries got bigger as fall progressed? Smallie fishing on Lake Erie seemed to get better once October hit, maybe not numbers, but certainly average size, LOL if it wasn't blowing so bad you couldn't get out.

I always had better success at Pointe Au Baril after the first frost here, looks a way off though.

3 hours ago, David Chong said:

They definitely do on most bodies of water that I fish! Especially noticeable when the gamefish on Lake Simcoe follow the Shiner migration!

This is a real fact on Simcoe. Just look at the fat smallies come October and November. 

I also put the feed bag on in the fall. LOL

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

For Walleye, good god the fall makes you wonder what the heck you were doing for the past 10 months. It’s like a light switch around here all of a sudden your boat will catch 100 Walleye a day. But if you were to go and try to catch them right now you’d be hard pressed to get a limit.

bass are finicky this time of year but come October before it gets really really cold, you switch up tactics (it’s nothing like the spring bite) you find fish and you will put up your biggest bags of the year. The trick is finding where the fish are, once you find them you can basically park the boat and more and more giant fish just continue to periodically show up and eat your bait. 

Spring is a numbers game with suicidal smallies eating basically anything especially the evening and morning top water bite can be absolutely stupid. (I had a 5 casts 17lb topwater bite this spring) while the fall is about those big big bags 20+lbs. I’m sure if we were able to legally fish the spawn it’d be ridiculous. I catch enough monsters incidentally trying to catch early season pike to know that if I was targeting bass I’d easily PB my biggest bags of the year.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing guys. I still struggle on my home lake in the fall, but have to say that walleye fishing some 20 years ago was amazing in the fall (not so much now). I find bass have a small window for the daily bite and will miss them if not on the spot at the right time. Just my take of course, but I also have buddies that feel the same about the lake. I have started towing my boat in the fall to other locations and do well.

34 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Thanks for sharing guys. I still struggle on my home lake in the fall, but have to say that walleye fishing some 20 years ago was amazing in the fall (not so much now). I find bass have a small window for the daily bite and will miss them if not on the spot at the right time. Just my take of course, but I also have buddies that feel the same about the lake. I have started towing my boat in the fall to other locations and do well.

jimmer, has the fishing pressure changed? Has stocking walleye changed if applicable?

36 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

jimmer, has the fishing pressure changed? Has stocking walleye changed if applicable?

Ohio - the lake is not stocked.  The lake has gone through changes over the years due to zebra mussels and changing weed growth patterns, but the fish would not disappear because of that. Yes, pressure steadily increases by the year, but it's usually quieter at this time of the year. Maybe I just can't catch fish anymore. hahaha  Maybe they feed heavily at night, when I'm sound asleep.  I'll just find new water to fish in the fall.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:26 AM, jimmer said:

Your home lake has awesome fall fishing.  One of my favourite fall lakes!! Go DEEP! 

S.