Black bear encounter leads to sudden death

FishFishing

2 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

They are wild animals, unpredictable and some times dangerous! If a black bear is native to Ontario, doesn't that make it a Canadian black bear?

Blacks bears are native to N. America. This one just happened to be in Canada. 

Strange situation here as black bear attacks are not all that common. 

There was a story in the Globe and Mail last week (?) bout someone paddling the MacKenzie River and how he had not come across any bears. Story related that downstream, and a few days ahead of him, another camper was pulled from their tent, and killed, by a grizzly. A few years ago, I was thinking of camping near Fort McPherson and had asked about bears activity...

1 hour ago, glen said:

American as in continent 

bears gotta eat.  A good example is the attack from cold water.   I guy said the bear ate his meat and loved it.  Guess bear like people meat.  

I remember seeing his interview on the news from his hospital bed.  Scary stuff..  

Planting a "food plot" for deer hunting.    I always assumed he was putting his pot plants in the ground. 

On 9/5/2019 at 9:05 PM, BillM said:

I bet most of those aren't black bear attacks, look at the locations.  Most likely grizzly.

The list does separate the bears by type. Even one from my area! 

"

Brent Kandra, 24, male August 19, 2010 Captive Columbia Station, Ohio Kandra was a bear caretaker on property of Sam Mazzola that kept exotic pets. The bear was out of its cage for feeding. Prior to the attack, Sam Mazzola had his license to exhibit animals revoked, but was still allowed to keep the animals on his property.[21] He also accumulated dozens of dangerous, exotic animals despite past convictions and losing his license after animal rights activists complained he was making money by letting people wrestle bears. "

I noticed the Algonquin Park newsletter acknowledges the fact that large male black bears up on occasion can become human predators.  They stock and hunt a human if they are in this category. Maybe this behavior is becoming more common.

I have noticed the unhunted bears in Algonquin Park seem to lack the healthy respect for humans that hunted bears exhibit.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:06 PM, AKRISONER said:

Fatal black bear incidents are extremely rare, in fact I think there have been a few in history.

grizzly bear attacks are a whole other story.

Actually, I believe that there been more fatailities from black bears than from grizzlies?  It would have more to do with the relative populations of each species rather than from black bears being the more dangerous animal.

This got me thinking of Borat, the movie, lol. On a more serious note I'm told that if attacked by a black bear you should fight back as hard as you can With grizzlys you should play dead (or is that you are dead?) Either way avoid bears and be really carefull of garbage when in the outdoors.

Two folks got killed camping on an island in Algonquin early nineties. Grizzlies are way more dangerous than blacks since where both occur grizzlies kill more people. Black male bears just kicked out from the litter by mom who keeps the girls for more training are worst. These males from remote places mom hasn't taught them to avoid people have to establish territory/not get killed or eaten in the process and need food.  Here comes a slow critter smelling like fish.....

Always carry protection in our remote north woods. A man is no match for a 120 lb hungry male black bear.   

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 4:52 PM, John Bacon said:

Actually, I believe that there been more fatailities from black bears than from grizzlies?  It would have more to do with the relative populations of each species rather than from black bears being the more dangerous animal.

Hmmmm. The records for bear attacks don't support that theory. Roughly double the number of fatal grizzly attacks over the past 10 years. 

On 9/8/2019 at 7:04 PM, cisco said:

Two folks got killed camping on an island in Algonquin early nineties. Grizzlies are way more dangerous than blacks since where both occur grizzlies kill more people. Black male bears just kicked out from the litter by mom who keeps the girls for more training are worst. These males from remote places mom hasn't taught them to avoid people have to establish territory/not get killed or eaten in the process and need food.  Here comes a slow critter smelling like fish.....

Always carry protection in our remote north woods. A man is no match for a 120 lb hungry male black bear.   

I think it was a couple that was attacked, he survived. She was a youngish doctor from Cambridge ON. He couldn’t get it to stop. It ignored all the food they had thrown at it to get it leave them alone and went for the kill. Your thoughts are interesting,. I always thought rogue black bears were ones that like you said, were remote and non human educated but also bears that had learned to hunt moose calves and developed the taste for fresh kill. I never considered the early weaning thing. 

I don’t think i’d ever do interior camping without protection, legal or not. Bear spray wouldn't make me comfortable enough. Just as well, I’m too old now anyway.

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

Bears are somewhat common where I live and I've seen them in my yard 4 times and have cleaned up scat 7 or 8 other times, infact early last summer  I cleaned up a pile 20 feet from our bedroom door.

I've got a great picture of one that was sleeping in my backyard early one morning but I'm on my laptop in Halifax and don't remember my password to get into Photobucket.

I also had one tear the downspout off the side of my house and can only assume he was after a chipmunk that I've seen go in the downspout extension.

I live on a country road and walk 4 miles every morning at sunrise and last year one popped out from behind a bush 40' in front of me but took off as soon as he realized I was there while making a loud "grunt" sound.

A month ago I came across the biggest bear track I've ever seen in the same area and was able to put my entire hand with outstetched fingers inside it.

2 years ago we were up on the West Arm of Nipissing and I was walking down a dirt road and heard a snap just off to my right and 2 little cubs came out from behind a fallen tree stump and right then I figured I was in trouble and sure enough Mom was about 3 seconds behind them. She got between the cubs and looked straight at me, lowered her head and pointed her ears back.

Not afraid to say that one made me a bit nervous but I slowly backed away and she took the kids and headed back into the bush.

I always carry an airhorn now when walking up there.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 7:04 PM, cisco said:

Ya, look how badly people get torn up by 120 pound dogs?

7 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I think it was a couple that was attacked, he survived. She was a youngish doctor from Cambridge ON. He couldn’t get it to stop. It ignored all the food they had thrown at it to get it leave them alone and went for the kill. Your thoughts are interesting,. I always thought rogue black bears were ones that like you said, were remote and non human educated but also bears that had learned to hunt moose calves and developed the taste for fresh kill. I never considered the early weaning thing. 

I don’t think i’d ever do interior camping without protection, legal or not. Bear spray wouldn't make me comfortable enough. Just as well, I’m too old now anyway.

Both killed and the bear was eating their remains when killed. Long time ago but a CO said how a rake was use to gather their remains.

8 hours ago, lew said:

I always carry an airhorn now when walking up there.

Apart from guns and spray(which can 'backfire' and spray you) there are also bangers sold in outdoor stores. That's what I carry on our canoe trips. I had spray but replaced it with bangers when it expired---too concerned about improper use(heard too many stories of mishaps). Any bears we have seen have been quite shy. An aggressive male that attacks humans is quite a rarity. Nothing short of a gun would prob deter it.

Edited by SirCranksalot

3 hours ago, cisco said:

Both killed and the bear was eating their remains when killed. Long time ago but a CO said how a rake was use to gather their remains.

My bad, I was thinking of yet another attack and have my facts mixed up. It was 2005 in s different PP. very tragic story. Couldn’t imagine the nightmares and what if scenarios he still must have. 

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/35/2949.html?1129419592