Recent Boating Accidents

David Chong

Wow, there seems like a rash of different boating accidents lately! Unfortunately at the cost of human lives, one weekend there was fatalities on Lake Joseph & Stoney Lakes! Deepest condolences to friends & family of the deceased! 

This past weekend, while we were in a tournament on the Bay of Quinte, a cruiser was refuelling at the new Trenton gas depot and there was an explosion that sent 5 people to hospital! Not sure of the severity of their injuries! See pic of sunken boat and charred pier!

Hopefully, there is no more this fall!  

77943385-385E-47C7-AA15-61139B787B81.jpeg

9154EFA3-1917-44BA-8529-2DBC469DD372.jpeg

• Like 1

Got another one.  On Monday I was pre-fishing for a small tournament this weekend on my cottage lake and this 18 foot I/O bowrider goes by me at full plane on his way through a gap and into the next lake.   I can no longer see the boat but heard a loud bang noise.  I thought he may have been too close to the gap and hit rocks.  I go to have a look and here he has missed the gap by 200 metres and his boat is wedged between 2 trees in the bush.  It was raining so I was pretty much the only one around.  I go over and he is climbing out of the rear of the boat with a pretty big gash in his head.  The guy is lucky the windshield stopped him from being ejected from the boat.  

6 hours ago, Cast-Away said:

Very sad, I wonder how many people buy a used cruiser from someone else and don't know the rules around using the blowers? The marina operators should also ensure that the blowers are running during and after the fueling process.

I agree with this. If I’m the guy standing there holding the gas pump nozzle, I’m going to want to see those blowers going for a while first. My butt....my choice. Should be legislated. The guys that refill propane have tight do’s and don’ts for their licences. 

58 minutes ago, SmokestackLightnin said:

Got another one.  On Monday I was pre-fishing for a small tournament this weekend on my cottage lake and this 18 foot I/O bowrider goes by me at full plane on his way through a gap and into the next lake.   I can no longer see the boat but heard a loud bang noise.  I thought he may have been too close to the gap and hit rocks.  I go to have a look and here he has missed the gap by 200 metres and his boat is wedged between 2 trees in the bush.  It was raining so I was pretty much the only one around.  I go over and he is climbing out of the rear of the boat with a pretty big gash in his head.  The guy is lucky the windshield stopped him from being ejected from the boat.  

What the heck was Joe Runabout thinking???? Seems like a mechanical malfunction such as steering would be far too coincidental. 

39 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

How does anyone here know it was improper fueling that caused the fires? I wish I had you guys when I worked at the steel plant and for the MOL, I wouldn't even have to initiate an investigation.

Not improper fueling, improper blower. He didn't blow the fumes out before turning the key. Any fumes in there, and a small spark....KABOOM. Happens fairly often. 

S. 

18 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

What the heck was Joe Runabout thinking???? Seems like a mechanical malfunction such as steering would be far too coincidental. 

He said he was distracted.  It was noon, he wasn't impaired and we have no cell service.  He must have dropped something.

You see some stuff on the water. Was in south pidgeon fishing some junk and a runabout music blaring is heading kinda close. I moved a bit and on they went. Around the next corner they hit one of the tourney competitors.

Another time was running up to Elephant lake from Baptiste. It was shotgun start I had this runabout in front ran the route threw the stumps and didn't even try straight up on the Island. I was to afraid to stop half the field was behind use. When I went back the boat was gone.

Most of my close calls where with seadoos.   

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, dave524 said:

maybe a enforced speed limit like 70 KPH  would make sense on public waterways ?  boater's card level of training is obviously deficient with the speeds a lot of craft run today.

You can't regulate stupid. Its everywhere. People are breeding it. All you can do is watch your own back. 

S. 

You can't regulate stupid. Its everywhere. People are breeding it. All you can do is watch your own back. 

I totally agree with Sinker,  Common sense has fallen to the wayside.

My question is this,   is there such a thing as boating and texting?? 

The answer is,???,     I await your comments   Ladies and Gentlemen.

Nighttime boating is always risky.

I believe the lakes with the filthy rich to be the worst.

Muskoka, Lake Joe, Lake of bays hardly a hour goes by you see people doing stupid. 

I was casting first main point on Lake of Bays this lady 35 ish 4 kids all standing ran there wack boat between my boat and the point. I was 40 ft from shore. If I had my trout stick could have clothlined her.

Earlier this summer, a friend of a friend was moored in a quite back bay near Henry's on G-Bay.  He came un-moored in a storm at night, and the wind pushed him up on some rocks.  Total write off....  

Boating is serious business!  Can't do anything half assed, or it will come back to bite you! 

15 hours ago, npt1 said:

I totally agree with Sinker,  Common sense has fallen to the wayside.

My question is this,   is there such a thing as boating and texting?? 

There is way too much distracted driving on the water. Most fishing boats have 2 huge graphs right in front of their faces everywhere they go. half the people aren't even looking where they are going.  A friend of mine got run down by a boat 2 years ago on rice lake. The guy was just cruising along and not watching where he was going, and smashed right into my buddies anchored boat. Talk about scary.  Lucky nobody was hurt, or killed. They had a cooler full of beer in the boat with them too. Its crazy. 

I spend my time watching where everyone else is going, not so much where I'm going. I was always taught to make my moves early and obvious, and it works. 

S. 

S. 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, npt1 said:

My question is this, is there such a thing as boating and texting?? 

If your referring to distracted driving laws that apply on the road than no.

But there are other laws that may apply, but in most cases these charges are only laid after an incident. 

It’s just not boat to boat collisions, there are many that don’t pay attention to shoreline activity. On a hot summer day we swim off the end of our dock, umbrella is up, grandkids playing etc. etc. My seasonal neighbour from a few doors down decides to take his kids out tubing. No problem, but he thens proceeds to move closer and closer to the area that we are swimming in until for our own safety, we all have to exit the water while the continues to buzz past the end of our dock repeatedly. It’s an 18 thousand acre lake. Next time they are out, I’m going down to have a word with him. Just plain ignorance.

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 1