New to downrigging - 1 or 2 downriggers?

tdelam

New to downrigging here. My buddy took me out and loved it!

I fish where depths change quickly; 60-130 feet. I was thinking of getting just one electric downrigger and stacking 2 rods or would you guys suggest 2 downriggers and I run to both of them to adjust the depths as they change? This sounds like a lot of work lol. Suggestions?

Edited by tdelam
Updated wording

Two riggers on Lake Ontario for sure. You can run two rods per angler so with two riggers and two people you can run 4 rods.  Two on the balls and two stackers. 

Then add a couple of cheaters and you really cover some water. But you risk a big tangled mess if you hook a big screamer. 

I have gone out with my friend a few times and from my limited experience, I would say buy 2 good quality downriggers (manual is fine) and have line counters on the reels. Keep it simple. once you get the hang of 2, then add one line down the middle with an inline weight which will take the lure down 15-20 feet.  you will get some rainbows on that line or any other fish swimming higher up.

I would run 2 riggers, it’ widens your spread, offers more versatility and you can stack 4 when it’s a rigger bite.  That said, it’s not at all a pain to stack with the right gear.  I use Scotty’s with longline clips and it’s pretty simple, you just have to remember you stacked when you hit the up switch.  You’ll want a couple of wire dipseys as well eventually!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, porkpie said:

I would run 2 riggers, it’ widens your spread, offers more versatility and you can stack 4 when it’s a rigger bite.  That said, it’s not at all a pain to stack with the right gear.  I use Scotty’s with longline clips and it’s pretty simple, you just have to remember you stacked when you hit the up switch.  You’ll want a couple of wire dipseys as well eventually!

Autostop beads before the stackers would probably help any potential accidents, lol.

well, after chatting with my Dad who used to downrig a lot. He suggested 1 downrigger given the depth changes on the lake where my camp is. I am on Lake Manitou and the depths change from 130 to 80 to 60 very quickly. I was downrigging with a friend last weekend and we each had a rigger set up with a dipsy diver for shallower possibilities and we were constantly raising and lowering the ball with the depth changes. 

I decided to go with 1 Scotty stacked and a dipsy diver for now. I'm going to give it a try for a bit and see how I do. If I need/want another i'll buy it.  Thanks for the feedback guys!

If you want an alternative or a cheap back up for your dipsy that is small, light and adjustable down to 80ft, and can also be used with a side planer to widen the spread you should take a look at the Davis Instruments Fish Seeker. It's a small acrylic fully adjustable diver meant for light line down to 6lb. Even on back lake trout fishing it's an easy way to get your lure down and real easy to change as you search for the right depth, specially mid summer. https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/fish-seeker-clear/

Cheers

On 9/5/2019 at 6:14 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

My lake changes quickly as well.

Quite often when I'm trolling the drop I get a little shallow and drag bottom. :)

I wouldn't say quite often but that sounds just like me dragging big gang trolls for Lakers with leadcore or copper. I'm generally targeting structure and I like to be close so if I tap bottom the odd time then I know I'm right where I want to be and sometimes it triggers strikes too. Even when the thermocline sets up I still prefer structure to wide open big water. Speaking of which Dave, I guess Great Slave doesn't stratify?
Cheers

Edited by smitty55

13 hours ago, smitty55 said:

If you want an alternative or a cheap back up for your dipsy that is small, light and adjustable down to 80ft, and can also be used with a side planer to widen the spread you should take a look at the Davis Instruments Fish Seeker. It's a small acrylic fully adjustable diver meant for light line down to 6lb. Even on back lake trout fishing it's an easy way to get your lure down and real easy to change as you search for the right depth, specially mid summer. https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/fish-seeker-clear/

Cheers

Check out the offshore tadpoles. They also work really good on light gear for getting deep. 

S.