Tecumseh Reef still good for smallie?

GaraldT

12 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Wait and see how the wind is, often the deciding factor on Erie,  Turkey Pt. and the Inner Bay at Long Pt. being more sheltered on a SW wind. It's Sept. deeper would be better so I would lean Tecumseh if it is doable.

Windfinder is showing calm winds tmw.Thats the first thing I look for before going to Erie on my bass boat. If it stays calm would you recommend inner Bay Area or tecumseh reef area?

thanks for your help!

Wind directions change here on the lake continually. You might have an onshore wind in one bay and out on the lake it's different. Right now there is zero wind and overcast. The lake is like glass where we are.  The wind turbines aren't moving. At least they are good for something. They can be facing west in Nanticoke and in Dunnville east. 

If I am up early tomorrow AM I can give you a lake condition here at Selkirk, if I remember. A few years ago I used to post lake and wind condition updates daily on a local fishing website before I hit the lake or went golfing. Then guys got upset when I didn't. I resigned. 

36 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Wind directions change here on the lake continually. You might have an onshore wind in one bay and out on the lake it's different. Right now there is zero wind and overcast. The lake is like glass where we are.  The wind turbines aren't moving. At least they are good for something. They can be facing west in Nanticoke and in Dunnville east. 

If I am up early tomorrow AM I can give you a lake condition here at Selkirk, if I remember. A few years ago I used to post lake and wind condition updates daily on a local fishing website before I hit the lake or went golfing. Then guys got upset when I didn't. I resigned. 

Ah I see. Always learning from you buddy thanks. 

Also, we might be heading out around 730am so whenever you do wake up, if you can post  the condition here that would be awesome.

As far as locating smallies, what would be the better option now, tecumseh reef area or turkey point?

thanks again!

4 hours ago, GaraldT said:

Windfinder is showing calm winds tmw.Thats the first thing I look for before going to Erie on my bass boat. If it stays calm would you recommend inner Bay Area or tecumseh reef area?

It's Sept. deeper would be better so I would lean Tecumseh if it is doable.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:37 PM, GaraldT said:

thanks for your help!

And of course the lake is angry today. I would say there were 4 footers this AM, same all day. Sorry I didn't post earlier. 

To show how unpredictable and how conditions can be different within a few miles. A few years back HTHM, Albert, followed us out in his Ranger Bass boat to the Perch grounds off of Selkirk P.P. It was very calm protected by Peacock Point. As soon as we made the turn heading west around the tip of the point we were met by a strong west wind and 3 to 4 footers, and they were tight together which can be dangerous. Get over the top of one breaker and the bow can plow into the next wave and take on water. Especially dangerous in a bowrider. He had a heck of a time to get to the marina, we beat him in by 20 mins and he was soaked. At least we all got some nice Perch. 

Did you go out GaraldT? 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

6 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

And of course the lake is angry today. I would say there were 4 footers this AM, same all day. Sorry I didn't post earlier. 

Did you go out GaraldT? 

Were they waves, or rollers Johnny ? I can do rollers,  waves crash over the toon, but still hold strong. ?

8 minutes ago, misfish said:

Were they waves, or rollers Johnny ? I can do rollers,  waves crash over the toon, but still hold strong. ?

No they are waves, white caps, I would guess 2 to 4 footers. The wind is dying down right now but still not great boating conditions of course depending on the boat. From now until November this lake will be giving everyone a test of their boating skills. As far as Smallmouth the best spot for me in Fall is Nanticoke Shoal otherwise known as 5 mile reef. I didn't mention it before but to get to Tecumseh reef you will have to launch at Port Maitland or Nanticoke which is a long way from that spot. The launch at the trailer park close by is under a few feet of water. No way to launch there, no way no how. Can't even see the launch wall. I guess you can launch with someone in the boat, throw out the anchor and the driver of the trailer has to wade in and climb onto the boat. There's water where you usually park the trailer. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

@Old Ironmaker yes actually we did.

So we tried launching at Austin’s trailer park in order to be closer to the reef but it’s a disaster like you said, the dock is under water and there’s big rocks everywhere so we passed. We ended up launching at the Dunnville light house area and it was around 930-10 and the water was amazing. No chop at all. 

On our way towards the reef we stopped a few times but had no luck at all.

Then when we got near the reef in about 10 feet to a 20 foot drop off, I nailed a 4 pounder. The water was decent around 11-1:30 then wind started to pick up so we made our way back. There was a bunch of boats out there but most were further in deeper water looking for walleye.

The water was actually really good then decent enough until we left, so I was happy with the outcome. My dad was using live bait worms and had zero bites all day. Strange I guess.

As for Nanticoke shoal, can you show me where it is and where to launch to get there even in a direct message if you want to? This is my first year owning a boat and fish finders and I’m still in the learning process. Any help would be awesome. I was so stoked catching that 4 lber and want to catch more like them more consistently.

thanks again!

Edited by GaraldT

Sorry I didn't mention the trailer park earlier, no way like I said to launch. I am so glad you got a nice one. 4 lbs is nothing to poo hoo at. It must have been a blast. What were you using with what set up? I will troll a Rappala and watch the screen for drop offs. If we find a school I will drift through it with a Carolina rig and floating jig head tipped with a black twister or plastic or leather leech soaked in juice. Live leeches will get them every time but they don't sell them here as far as I know. Bill's Bait in Hamilton, yes. But I'm told that's cheating, so call me a cheater with fish on my line. 

Yep the wind here usually picks up at 11AM, like clockwork. Never had luck with worms here in the 40 years of fishing here. Good for panfish for the kids at the cottage. 

You had a great day Steve way to go Man. Nice one's 20 plus inches. Did they spit up any baitfish? And you are right sometimes all it takes for them to get on the feed bag is the wind to pick up or die down, overcast then sunny or a change in wind direction. I'd love to know how in heck you launched at Austin's? So it's doable. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Sorry I didn't mention the trailer park earlier, no way like I said to launch. I am so glad you got a nice one. 4 lbs is nothing to poo hoo at. It must have been a blast. What were you using with what set up? I will troll a Rappala and watch the screen for drop offs. If we find a school I will drift through it with a Carolina rig and floating jig head tipped with a black twister or plastic or leather leech soaked in juice. Live leeches will get them every time but they don't sell them here as far as I know. Bill's Bait in Hamilton, yes. But I'm told that's cheating, so call me a cheater with fish on my line. 

Yep the wind here usually picks up at 11AM, like clockwork. Never had luck with worms here in the 40 years of fishing here. Good for panfish for the kids at the cottage. 

Wow good to know about leeches, I’ll make sure my dad uses those instead of worms next time.

I was mostly drop shotting and had a few bites when we were the reef along with the one fish but mind you we probably only stayed in that area for about a half hour due to some new stronger wind and also my buddy that was with us was getting kind of sick, I told him to pull his skirt up but it didn’t work lol.

Wish we would have just went straight there when we launched instead of stopping at different spots on the way.

@Steve Piggott awesome work man. Thanks for the tip on launching using waders. How deep would you have to be to launch there, is the water waste deep before you get in the boat seeing that there’s no dock to access anymore?

Also, what were you guys using when you caught those smallies?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Steve Piggott said:

Ramp is good with truck. Water just at the running boards . It's  all hard bottom. Need shorts or waders to launch 20190902_092517.jpg.24be578da0342bc6dbdb6587aeb1076e.jpg

The water was up to the grass a few weeks ago. I figured it could be done but someone would have to get in the water. I have enough of a hard time getting into the new rather high bed my wife bought let alone climbing up a ladder into the boat. 

• Like 1