Lake Erie news

OhioFisherman

Looks like it may have been another good year for the Walleye and Perch spawn on Erie, it also sounds like the Emerald Shiners could use some good spawns?

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/08/calm-down-lake-erie-walleye-coming-home-for-labor-day-weekend-aug-30-fishing-report.html?fbclid=IwAR2Du05COTkBwx7IpFm-thnU7Mzey952MDPHzlCcSLRITgpPhY11uXggYbA

Often wondered about the direction of some of the fish stocking programs here, coho in Lake Erie, Striped Bass in some of our inland lakes that really can't compare in size to some of those southern state's lakes that have them. Blue cat and spotted bass in Lake Erie seemed like better and cheaper options to me?

12 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

If you have looked at the last couple of these articles? both had a good sized channel cat as a cover photo, and both were caught ( allegedly ) in a relatively near shore area of Lake Erie, gobies also make good cat food?

Back in the seventies I often fished channels at Long Point, shore casting in the evening, on the lake side down off Hasting's Ave. There was 4 or 5 of us fishing most evenings and a few fish in the high teens would be caught along with the more usual 8- 10 pounders. We would get them all summer there right up to the opening of duck season.

11 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Back in the seventies I often fished channels at Long Point, shore casting in the evening, on the lake side down off Hasting's Ave. There was 4 or 5 of us fishing most evenings and a few fish in the high teens would be caught along with the more usual 8- 10 pounders. We would get them all summer there right up to the opening of duck season.

dave, I never caught a catfish while fishing the open waters of Lake Erie, never targeted them out there either though. Places like Sandusky Bay and some of the rivers that empty into the lake are loaded with them though, good sized ones here too.

41 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

dave, I never caught a catfish while fishing the open waters of Lake Erie, never targeted them out there either though. Places like Sandusky Bay and some of the rivers that empty into the lake are loaded with them though, good sized ones here too.

Rivers this side also get a good run in early spring but the bulk of the fish return to the lake, the spot mentioned is the only spot I've encountered that would consistently produced big cats all summer long in the open water of Lake Erie.