Hurricane Dorian ready to hit FLA

Old Ironmaker

My wife's sister lives in Delray Beach, just north of Miami. Her husband and the rest of Florida line up for miles everything from gas for the vehicles and bottled water and food to plywood and nails a few days before a hurricane, each and every time. We Canucks are always ready for a blizzard in August, most of us anyway. Besides being Yanks what's wrong with these folks? (I an 1/2 Yankee so I can say that.)

Johnny D/dual citizenship which means a Dem in the U.S. and a PC in Canada. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Got step daughters, grand kids , inlaws and outlaws all in the Port Charlotte/ Punta Gorda area, they took a direct hit from Charlie about 15 years ago, seeing this one is making land on the other side they should be OK.  No citizenship but I let my wife know I'm pro Trump every chance I get ?.

3 hours ago, dave524 said:

Got step daughters, grand kids , inlaws and outlaws all in the Port Charlotte/ Punta Gorda area, they took a direct hit from Charlie about 15 years ago, seeing this one is making land on the other side they should be OK.  No citizenship but I let my wife know I'm pro Trump every chance I get ?.

The Family condo was on Edgewater Drive just across from the bridge. My cousin from Mount Hope has a house not far from the Port Charlotte beach and pier. He wants me to buy in. I'm not sure it is a good move. Relatives and business and all that. Have you fished the piers there. Dave? I've had great luck on the Bayshore pier. A walk from the old condo and Fishin' Franks bait shop. During the strike in 90' I went down in October for a month. A hurricane was supposed to hit the west coast right around Pt. Charlotte. Everyone was freaking out. I stayed up the entire night and it turned out to be a big rain storm. I'm happy it didn't hit but at the same time wanted to see a real hurricane. I saw the aftermath of Andrew a month after it hit in Homestead and the Keys and it was devastating to say the least. Entire city blocks wiped out to the foundations. As far as the Trump thing I'll leave that be. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

24 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Lew, The east  may be getting soaked later in the week by the way the model show it. Nova Scotia May get it as it moves up the coast. Unless it goes inland. Good luck on your trip.

A

Yup, it's kinda looking like it may play out that way

4 hours ago, pics said:

You would think that in a hurricane prone area that building codes would be stronger than they are.. roll down steel shutters should be standard.. 

There building codes are much different than ours. Hurricane bracing on all the exterior walls, higher rated windows and doors, screws for dimensional lumber are not allowed. Only spiral nails. Roofs are bolted to the top plates and plates are required on the lumber tying the top wall plates with the vertical wall studs as well as the sil plates. Many other differences as well. We should build up here like they do but the cost would be prohibitive. We didn't have roll down shutters at the condo in Port Charlotte but the horizontal panes of glass in the Lanai (screen room) that you are able to open and close had to be 1/2 thick at least. 

It was strange watching them dig the footings for the foundation. A guy used a square mouth shovel and dug down in the sand about 10", any deeper and they hit water. A bit of stone on the sand tamped down and donezo pour the concrete 8" deep. They might work until 11 AM then back at 2 for a few hours, maybe. Some contractors picked their laborers from the many guys at Home Depot standing out front hoping to get a job for the day. They are paid peanuts and not treated well at all. 

That's what they call those windows. My sis in law is giving 1/2 hr. updates from Fla. I think the anticipation of what might happen can be stressful to say the least. Especially when the thing is moving at a snails pace of 1 MPH. They have been down there for 26 years now and still haven't bought a genny. Why not is beyond me. More important to that B-I-L of mine to buy Armani suits and wear a Rolex that doesn't work. I swear he's brain dead. She earned her M.D. at 55, works all day at the hospital and teaches at night.  

Balance of rant deleted but it sure felt good writing it. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker