Water cooling down on Pigeon.

captpierre

Surface temp this morning 69. This evening 72. Fishing was tough today. Had a young loon hang out next to the boat for about 5 min. Checked me out. Swam under and checked again. No fear. Didn’t reach for phone/camera in case he spooked. Great experience. 

I took this picture of a loon that kept swimming under my boat quite a few years back on Pigeon Lake and your right, it's a great experience to watch that sort of thing. I figured maybe a school of fish was sitting in the shade of my boat and the loon was taking advantage of easy pickings LOL

Cnv0465.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 5:50 AM, lew said:

I took this picture of a loon that kept swimming under my boat quite a few years back on Pigeon Lake and your right, it's a great experience to watch that sort of thing. I figured maybe a school of fish was sitting in the shade of my boat and the loon was taking advantage of easy pickings LOL

Cnv0465.jpg

Nice pic, Lew.  I hear they can’t dive too deep. Their feathers repel water. Cormorants, on the other hand, can dive deep. You see them sitting and drying their feathers. I may be seeing less of them here in Pigeon. Are hunters taking them out?  Love loons. Cormorants not so much. 

We drove down to Jordan Station 2 weeks ago and coming off the south end of the Burlington Skyway there must have been 1000 Cormorants on the shore over by the steel mill. In my entire life I've never seen so many big birds gathered together.

3 hours ago, captpierre said:

Nice pic, Lew.  I hear they can’t dive too deep. Their feathers repel water. Cormorants, on the other hand, can dive deep. You see them sitting and drying their feathers. I may be seeing less of them here in Pigeon. Are hunters taking them out?  Love loons. Cormorants not so much. 

Not sure where you heard that, loons can dive down to 200ft.

Cheers

1 hour ago, BillM said:

70 degrees on Balsam the other day where this pretty lady came out to play.

y6zEaK4l.jpg

Nice one Bill. They don't have to be 50" to be a nice Musky. It's funny how you picture someone based on their writings and then you see the person. Sometimes it's what you pictured, most times not. I didn't picture the person that is the real Bill. I'll tell you I pictured a gent with a short sleeve shirt on and a plastic pocket protector. Not. More like a bouncer in a old time Hotel. Ya never know.

In Japan Cormorants are basically starved and then tied to lines and used to dive for fish very deep, not sure how deep, I've been told 200 feet to catch fish and then they are regurgitated by the fisherman to be sold at market. Mmmm good nothing like regurgitated fish.  

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Nice one Bill. They don't have to be 50" to be a nice Musky. It's funny how you picture someone based on their writings and then you see the person. Sometimes it's what you pictured, most times not. I didn't picture the person that is the real Bill. I'll tell you I pictured a gent with a short sleeve shirt on and a plastic pocket protector. Not. More like a bouncer in a old time Hotel. Ya never know.

In Japan Cormorants are basically starved and then tied to lines and used to dive for fish very deep, not sure how deep, I've been told 200 feet to catch fish and then they are regurgitated by the fisherman to be sold at market. Mmmm good nothing like regurgitated fish.  

I seem to recall seeing pictures of Cormorants with some type ring around their necks to prevent them from swallowing the fish completely?