A NUNAVUT NOMAD V. Quest for the Ekaluk.

Moosebunk

Not writing nearly as many stories as in the past so this one was more of an undertaking than usual.  Rusty man, but trying to get back into it after some great trips this summer with family, friends and this here solo stint in Nunavut.  But anyhow, combined some play with work while in the Arctic this month and the whole experience unfolded into something different.  Not what I expected at all, though probably what I needed, some cool surprises this was surely one to remember.  Waaaay Up to Victoria Island to cover much air, sea, land and self in this "Quest For The Ekaluk," and its silver running char.   Link to full story on the title here...

A NUNAVUT NOMAD V. QUEST FOR THE EKALUK 

025_zpscemat34s.jpg

084_zpscei0uusi.jpg

111_zpseohlg3k4.jpg

BUNK

Edited by Moosebunk
  • Like 3

Well it is a long one guys, so thank you for putting the time and effort in to feel what I'm putting down. 

Brian, Terry! Rooting for yas ti'll the end! :) 

On 8/28/2019 at 4:18 PM, the spirit of fishing said:

It's not just your successes that make it interesting but how you face the challenges faced through the journey. Really appreciate you taking the time writing it and allowing us to feel like we were there too.

For some time on this one I didn't feel there was much success happening at all. Get so wrapped up in the moment, the moods of each day and fish results, I returned to Cam Bay and told co-workers it was a tough time and in some ways not what was hoped for. Then I read the notes, pieced together the pictures with the words, included the Cam Bay prelude portion, how this all came together, meeting Aaron Wiebe and company, making connections, and everything about it.  And through that, and finishing the story realize, it was pretty great all of it.  And had the run been on and I slayed a hundred char, most would have been forgotten but probably one, or a few... Well, the one I got will never be forgotten at all.  It was that much more a catch being how hard it was to come by, and it was a big char too.

:)

On 8/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, Sinker said:

Been trying to get to the end of this for days. Hope to have enough screen time to finish it soon. I think I need to start over to absorb it all. Love your adventures man. We need to fish soon.  

You make it through? lol... A long one yes, the Bear is coming next, just finished. We'll all see each other this fall.

17 hours ago, pics said:

I read the whole thing.. pretty awesome place and hopefully you get back there at the peak of the run...

You know Pics... Would like that yes but, do or don't not sure it'd matter. The big char on the final day is a special one that for plenty reasons won't ever be outdone.  That said, if Bren could be there too that's how I'd want it to happen if there's a next time.

• Like 1

Great story. I read it all before bed. Made for better dreams.  

Hey Bunk.  What do you think about the land up there.  It sure looks flat rocky and barren.  

Does it please your eye? Is it like the prairies?  Flat and all the same. Does it seem odd with no trees?   I think that would weird me out.  

On 9/3/2019 at 4:52 PM, glen said:

Hey Bunk.  What do you think about the land up there.  It sure looks flat rocky and barren.  

Does it please your eye? Is it like the prairies?  Flat and all the same. Does it seem odd with no trees?   I think that would weird me out.  

Real good question Glen.  Guess for the most part it's anytime I can get somewhere new.  So different from home right, so that makes it interesting. So very remote with a feeling of BIG, like vast, which gives it a cool vibe.  Been mostly in the Kitikmeot region and a little in the Kivaliq the lands tend to be more flat but there's always places at these places that are very scenic.  Cambridge Bay where I just was, isn't as scenic as Taloyoak or Kugaaruk, maybe not even Coral Harbour where it's flatter lands too, but in the pictures here there's some very nice land to view. The Baffin scenery is best and hopefully one day I can showcase that here... Unfortunately the work can be suicidal there so I tend to stay away.  Anyhow, it does please the eyes overall because even barren, it's just a neat kinda different that gets me thinking at times about the life and lives that live on in.

10 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

Moose...this one was awesome!. All about the experience, regardless of the catching success. Keep em coming.

Have to add...you are a damn good writer.

Thanks BigCreek!  Will admit, this story took twice as long as usual to write.  Hard to shake the dust off and then find the stride. Thanks for the compliment, no question do I like writing a good story that others will enjoy reading. 

4 hours ago, BillM said:

I've got arctic char envy.  As always Bunk, a great read! 

You're soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overdue for char Bill. 

On 9/4/2019 at 7:39 PM, Moosebunk said:

You're soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overdue for char Bill. 

You're tell me man!  I might have to James Bay it as the prices for the Tree are just crazy, lol.   

I finally got the time to read this. It was one of my favourites.

It's not necessarily the fish that make a great fish story, it's the little details and the things that happen way up north and the surprises and the author's honest feelings that make an interesting read for me.

I've never done a trip like this, but I would have thought the outfitter would have tipped you off saying "just a heads up, guys are coming in on this day and this day etc". When Aaron and company got dropped off I initially thought they are going to be staying in your cabin with you, lol.

Very interesting about the dolly varden thing. You'd think some biologist who also likes to fish would have pushed for some funding to get up there and do some sampling and answer that question.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:34 PM, chris.brock said:

I've never done a trip like this, but I would have thought the outfitter would have tipped you off saying "just a heads up, guys are coming in on this day and this day etc". When Aaron and company got dropped off I initially thought they are going to be staying in your cabin with you, lol.

Very interesting about the dolly varden thing. You'd think some biologist who also likes to fish would have pushed for some funding to get up there and do some sampling and answer that question.

Thing of it be Chris... wasn't with an outfitter, technically I just chartered a plane.  Fred had no obligations to me except drop-off and pick-up and, I think because guests of his lodge fly everyday to their various fishing spots, he likely considers the Ekaluk just another one of those spots.  To be fair, if the char had been running as expected, everyone would have had ample room and fish there.  Only thing I would have changed if I could go back in time is the planned dates to be there. Could have easily pushed to extend my contract for another week of work, changed flights home and simply gone to the Ekaluk 5 to 7 days later. But instead a different experience unfolded and as you said, it made for an interesting read all the same.  There's one fish that will always be a bigger deal because of everything it took to catch it.  That's really cool in and of itself.

As far as Dollies versus char, they're both exceptional fish in exceptional places. Just happened to be lucky enough to catch some of both for comparison.

Thanks for reading guys,