kevin o'leary

Squid

Shark Tank star Kevin O’Leary’s boat was involved in a crash that resulted in the death of a 64-year-old U.S. man.

A 48-year-old Markham woman suffered critical injuries in Saturday’s accident on Lake Joseph, near Emerald Island, in the Muskokas.

The two victims were on a 13-person craft returning to a cottage during a pleasure cruise when it was allegedly struck by O’Leary’s boat.

The crash happened around 11:30 p.m.

The man at the bow of the larger boat was struck in the head and killed instantly, according to American celebrity news website TMZ.

Two people on the smaller vessel also went to hospital and were later released.

TMZ broke the story Tuesday night that O’Leary’s boat was involved in the accident.

A source close to the owner of the larger boat that was struck told TMZ O’Leary’s boat was involved in the accident and that there was enough light to identify O’Leary and his wife.

TMZ said it couldn’t confirm this and neither could the Toronto Sun.

Later on Tuesday night, O’Leary told TMZ, “Late Saturday night I was a passenger in a boat that had a tragic collision with another craft that had no navigation lights on and then fled the scene of the accident. I am fully cooperating with authorities.”

“Out of respect for the families who have lost loved ones and to fully support the ongoing investigation, I feel it is inappropriate to make further comments at this time. My thoughts are with all the families affected.”

An O’Leary representative also told TMZ that his wife was driving the boat at the time of the accident and passed a drug and alcohol test.

Reached by the Sun earlier on Tuesday, O’Leary said he couldn’t comment when asked whether he had been involved in a boating accident on Lake Joseph.

“I can’t speak on it,” O’Leary said. “Sorry, I don’t think there’s been any release of that information, so I have no comment. Sorry. Thanks.”
The call ended at that point.

OPP Det.-Insp. Martin Graham told MyMuskokaNow.com Monday that it was too early to say whether alcohol played a role in the accident.

“Obviously, bearing in mind one person has lost their life … it requires a complete investigation to determine the facts surrounding how this came about,” Graham said.

O’Leary is also well-known as a former bombastic “Dragon” on CBC’s Dragons’ Den and used to co-host The Lang and O’Leary Exchange.

O’Leary is also a regular guest on business news shows, most recently appearing on CNBC Tuesday.

The OPP couldn’t be immediately reached for comment Tuesday night

1 hour ago, Terry said:

Later on Tuesday night, O’Leary told TMZ, “Late Saturday night I was a passenger in a boat that had a tragic collision with another craft that had no navigation lights on and then fled the scene of the accident. I am fully cooperating with authorities.”

“Out of respect for the families who have lost loved ones and to fully support the ongoing investigation, I feel it is inappropriate to make further comments at this time. My thoughts are with all the families affected.”

Very sorry that a life was lost.  I think his quote would have been more compassionate if he left out the first sentence and started with "Out of respect..." 

Sad. What is supposed to be recreation often turns to tragedy in a second. CHCH News tonight reported the boat that came into contact with O'Leary's did not have running lights and left the scene. Also that it was O'Leary's wife piloting their boat. Also O'Leary's wife had a breathalyser test and had zero alcohol in her system. 

The 1st sentence of his statement did say "Out of respect....." 

His statement sounds like pr damage control to get ahead of the story and set the narrative. Police says other boat went elsewhere and called 911. If I was operating a boat that had severely injured people, I sure as hell wouldn't stick around, I'd be hauling ass to the nearest dock. I think there's more to this story. If it's a local (which it sounds like) and it's Lake Joe, I can't see them running without nav lights.

will be watching to see how this develops

8 hours ago, woodenboater said:

If I was operating a boat that had severely injured people, I sure as hell wouldn't stick around, I'd be hauling ass to the nearest dock.

Agreed 100%

As far as who's to blame, maybe we should let the police determine that.

• Like 3

Also wondering if anyone on the larger craft saw the O'Leary boat coming at them, and did they have time to sound a horn. Did they give O'Leary a breathalyzer as well ? Guess they're not going to finger print the wheel to see who was driving their boat. So many questions. Will be following this story closely.

14 hours ago, Rizzo said:

I am not saying she wasn't driving...but if I am in the boat, I am behind the wheel 100% of the time, not my wife. I imagine most (all?) of us are the same...especially boating after dark.

I don't even let mine drive my truck.

• Like 4