Waterway Traffic

jimmer

That's a tough question because I haven't fished many out towards Toronto. In my area, the easiest response would be the rideau river between Manotick and Burritts Rapids. The reason for this is that the river itself is not very wide. At most, the widest portion may be a bit more than half a kilometre wide. But because it is the longest stretch between locks, it gets a lot of boat traffic as well as people tubing, water skiing and wakeboarding in the channel. Around the beach, it can get really jammed up, really quick.  

14 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Anywhere on the Trent system on any summer weekend. It's the 400 series of Ontario waterways. May 24th is the worse. 

I rarely go out on the weekends anymore, especially on the main parts of the lakes that have the traffic flowing through the system. Tough on a smaller boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

gannon narrows on a saturday in the summer, holy crap.

I remember quite a few years ago there was a guy staying at Ennismore Inn an Resort with his kids.  They were in the Narrows on a hot day.  He decided to jump over for a swim and the waves pushed the boat away from him.  His kids watched him drown. Sad Story!

You have waves coming from every direction and it extends out into Pigeon Lake up to Bobcaygeon.  Chemong can be quite crazy north of the causeway too.

People have to start being more careful with the amount of traffic on the water. There are some very fast boats out there.

4 hours ago, lew said:

I think when you consider the large amount of boat traffic in the Kawartha's, specially on weekends, the number of serious collisions is relatively small in my opinion. 

I agree, that there doesn't seem to be many accidents for the amount of traffic. It still keeps me off the water though when it's busy.

Stupid crazy here on north Pigeon especially long weekends, then regular weekends mainly between noon- dinner time. Midweek in summers pretty quiet. Dead midweek in June and after Labour Day.  

Several guys speeding by in the dark without lights on last night. People never learn. 

On 8/28/2019 at 11:06 AM, jimmer said:

I remember quite a few years ago there was a guy staying at Ennismore Inn an Resort with his kids.  They were in the Narrows on a hot day.  He decided to jump over for a swim and the waves pushed the boat away from him.  His kids watched him drown. Sad Story!

You have waves coming from every direction and it extends out into Pigeon Lake up to Bobcaygeon.  Chemong can be quite crazy north of the causeway too.

People have to start being more careful with the amount of traffic on the water. There are some very fast boats out there.

Last year running from Bobcaygeon down to the narrows it was a perfectly calm glass day, I was running back for weigh in going about 50mph we got south of big island and the entire lake looked like a wash tub, i hit a rogue double up and almost speared it going full teats. There actually wasnt a boat near me for at least a kilometer in any direction. In a small 14 foot or less tinner you wouldnt even be able to drive it easily even if its glass. It gets that weird glass chop where theres 3 footers everywhere.

Edited by AKRISONER

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Does everyone out there usually get along ? Or do they start to play  bumper boats ?  And I will presume,everyone moves for the big guy. LOL

It's surprising but everyone seems to get along okay as you drift downstream, at least for the most part.  If anybody gets out of line they just get a walleye tossed into their boat to help sooth them.  It's the knobs that drive upstream though the pack at half throttle that upset people.  It's a total sh!t show at times but it's actually kind of fun once in a while.  

The freighters get on their horn and are pretty intimidating so everybody seems to give them adequate distance as they steam through the fleet.   Note I didn't say safe distance, only adequate....