pier fishing for salmon with high water levels

12 Volt Man

Hi, last time i was at Bronte pier, the pier was closed off and gated. big sign saying 'structure unsafe keep off' not sure if thats due to rehab on the pier or just the high water. 

yesterday the waves were coming over top of the liftbridge on the hamilton side, i assume that is closed as well.

Where can we chuck spoons this year??

I would presume it has to do with high water levels if there isn't any construction. I stopped at Pt. Maitland on Erie when it was extremely windy a few weeks ago because I saw the emergency guys hi tailing it that way towards Maitland. Anyone on that pier would have been blown off if they weren't tied down. I didn't hang around as there were no cars in the lot. The water was up 50' into the lot and no way to launch there with the 3' waves smashing on the ramp. They would have if they were sure someone was in peril. 

Look at long range forecasts not just when venturing out. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The pier at the end of Elizabeth , at the old pump house is closed here in Grimsby , the water is every bit as high now as it was when I moved here in '84,  and was higher a few months ago. The piers at Port Dalhousie in St. Kitts are also closed due to active reconstruction I believe. Not my fish , but the Grimsby pier has produced some slob browns in the past

april18th2012_zpsqmi0shg1.jpg

Some good news out of the joint prov. and state Great Lakes commission. I know they have a big long name but I don't have the strength to recall it. I read on the weekend water levels are predicted to drop if the precipitation amounts this coming winter and spring hold true. I'm sure if I Google enough some scientific group monitoring water levels will have a different outlook. POTUS isn't wrong about everything he says. Who do you throw tax money after, those correct, those sometimes correct and those almost never correct? 

22 minutes ago, dave524 said:

The pier at the end of Elizabeth , at the old pump house is closed here in Grimsby , the water is every bit as high now as it was when I moved here in '84,  and was higher a few months ago. The piers at Port Dalhousie in St. Kitts are also closed due to active reconstruction I believe. Not my fish , but the Grimsby pier has produced some slob browns in the past

april18th2012_zpsqmi0shg1.jpg

Dave the only thing I am positive of in 84' was where we lived because I did the math and I turned 30 that year.

My kid brother lives off of Lake St. He said Pt. Dalhousie is underwater. Only a few weeks ago they took the grand kids to the carousel. Only the little boats were above water. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thank goodness I have my Hobie or there would be no salmon fishing for me this fall. As I said in another post high water has ruined all of the places I fish in spring/summer. Even impoundments like Montsberg are unfishable, not so much because of water levels but because the precipitation has washed fertalizer/cow poop into the water causing massive overgrowth of weeds. It basically sucks right now.