Mercury outboard

gino

On 8/27/2019 at 8:49 PM, chris.brock said:

any brand can be great or be a lemon, but I've had good luck with Yamaha over the last 40 years, I just had a brand new merc cause us grief at a remote outpost last week, that seems pretty typical from what I've experienced with merc over the years

I wouldn't even consider a boat with a merc. I almost did, because it was a great deal, but my gut told me otherwise. 

Go to the east coast and count how many mercs there are, compared to yamaha. ....or any coast for that matter. 

S. 

8 hours ago, Sinker said:

Go to the east coast and count how many mercs there are, compared to yamaha. ....or any coast for that matter. 

S. 

I'm heading to the East Coast next Tuesday Shane, I'll try and get a count LOL

Nobody ran Mercs where I lived in the north for 10 years, NOBODY!!!  Everyday crossing the river for work with the boat taxis never remember seeing one.  All Yammies or Hondas for reliability.  The odd Rude.  In Nunavut too, Mercs don't even exist, have yet to see one.  Sea goers don't choose them, it's mostly Yammies then Honda.  These people don't have access to Marinas and certified mechanics.  They can't get warranty work done without paying $100's to even  $1000's to ship a motor out.  They choose reliability.

Been going to Nipigon for 10 years, sometimes 2 or 3 times a year.  Pay attention to what's at the docks.  Yammies outnumber Mercs 2 or 3 to 1, no Bull.  Guys on big water seem to know.  Honda is popular too

Guided and fished with Mercs on fly-ins... half the time something was annoying about these motors and my next report coming was same thing with a BRAND NEW Merc.

Visited Plummers this summer, all new Mercs there, couple of the veteran guides were wishing otherwise.  Main complaint, they won't slow troll smoothly, constantly needing attention to throttle.

My good, good buddy, certified mechanic with Merc and Yamaha motors with the local dealership I use, recommends Yamaha as he notices far less service hours are needed for these motors.

All good enough to sell me on the brand.  Sold the last Yamaha with pushing 3000 hours after 8 seasons, only let me down once cause after 5 years of not changing the impeller, owner neglect got the better of me.  Would likely never choose anything else but Yamaha.

Edited by Moosebunk
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, lew said:

I'm heading to the East Coast next Tuesday Shane, I'll try and get a count LOL

Theres the east coast, then theres the real east coast....you going all the way to the island? 

Take pics of all the yammies, hondas, and etecs. The number of mercs will be slim. 

S. 

On 8/29/2019 at 9:13 AM, Sinker said:

I wouldn't even consider a boat with a merc. I almost did, because it was a great deal, but my gut told me otherwise. 

S. 

When I see programs on TV from far away places there are Mariners everywhere. I was told our Mariners were Mercs with Yamaha bottom ends and Mariner cowls, not so I have come to learn. I do believe Mercs get a bad name for breakdowns because there are so many out there. Most all the outfitters I have come across had Mercs in their fleets, many still do and those things are going on 30 years old. Maybe I didn't see and Honda or Yammies because they weren't selling them in the early 70's. Bunk wasn't fishing then I bet, not born even. Man I'm getting old. So old the Feds are giving me money this October and so old I still use a Mitchel 300 and mono on it. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, Sinker said:

Theres the east coast, then theres the real east coast....you going all the way to the island? 

We're going thru the States then New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI but not hitting The Rock although I for sure want to do that trip one day.

58 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

When I see programs on TV from far away places there are Mariners everywhere. I was told our Mariners were Mercs with Yamaha bottom ends and Mariner cowls, not so I have come to learn. I do believe Mercs get a bad name for breakdowns because there are so many out there. Most all the outfitters I have come across had Mercs in their fleets, many still do and those things are going on 30 years old. Maybe I didn't see and Honda or Yammies because they weren't selling them in the early 70's. Bunk wasn't fishing then I bet, not born even. Man I'm getting old. So old the Feds are giving me money this October and so old I still use a Mitchel 300 and mono on it. 

My 93  40hp mariner is a yamaha engine, merc drive. Made in Japan. I replaced it with a new 40hp yammy this year, but old faithful is still running as good as ever. The new one is a dream in comparison though....so smooth, quiet, and trolls like a dream! 

S. 

43 minutes ago, lew said:

We're going thru the States then New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI but not hitting The Rock although I for sure want to do that trip one day.

You should! Its like nowhere I've ever been, and I've been coast to coast! 

S. 

12 minutes ago, Sinker said:

You should! Its like nowhere I've ever been, and I've been coast to coast! 

S. 

I sailed along the north shore of the island back in my Navy days and saw a couple iceburgs but that's a close as I got.

3 hours ago, Sinker said:

My 93  40hp mariner is a yamaha engine, merc drive. Made in Japan. I replaced it with a new 40hp yammy this year, but old faithful is still running as good as ever. The new one is a dream in comparison though....so smooth, quiet, and trolls like a dream! 

S. 

I remember you had a Mariner Sinker. So my 94' Mariners the 15 horse kicker and 115 OB must be the same. Both as solid as ever. The 15 is actually louder than the 115. I sure wouldn't turn down a new 150 Yammy  4 stroke but sure don't need one. 

4 hours ago, lew said:

We are driving to the brother and sis in laws in mid September. Going to take the ferry at Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia. They are right on Mahon Bay. They said you can see the now famous Oak Island from there place. I've been to Sydney but never saw anything but the motel and the inside of the steel plant. Want to go to Cape Breton and take a ferry to Newfoundland. I can say I've been to NFLD because I asked the flight attendant if I could get off the plane on the way to Europe back in 88'. Once I have been there for more than 5 mins I can call it the Rock too. Cod cheeks here I come. 

I bought a new boat with a 90 Merc 4 stroke back in 1999 and drove that boat long & hard for 10 years and never had a single issue with it.

10 years later I sold it to a bud and he's been driving it long and hard since then and never had an issue with that Merc until 2 years ago when it went in the shop for it's 1st repair in 18 years.

Nothing wrong with 18 trouble free years on a motor that's seen a LOT of use.