Trolling a casting rod in a Salty s-10

Reef Runner

Looking for a safe way to use my casting rods to troll in a salty s-10 rod holder; dang plastic trigger on the underside doesn't allow for setting the rod in the holder behind the reel seat. Don't want to put the rod in the holder above the reel on the blank because that's asking for the rod to snap like a twig.  Maybe below the reel? (full cork grip probably fine but split grip? probably will be riding the blank). If below the reel, put a higher angle on the rod so she don't go over board on a sudden stop?

Thanks for your insight.  (FYI I anticipate the easy answer is buy proper trolling rods lol better half will laugh when I say I need to buy MORE rods)

Edit:  Also if anyone has any tips on getting rid of the jinglejangle noise when theres no rod in the holder and the boat is vibrating from the motor lol

Reef

Edited by Reef Runner

I don't know what a Salty S-10 looks like. I once cut slits in a  Scottie for the exact same reason. I could use the pistol grip rods as well as spinning rods in the Scottie. In my mind I think I have seen holders with slots already cut into them for sale somewhere. When we were trolling for PIcs out of our little tinny my rod holder was usually my left hand. I always wanted to feel the line and rod tap. But it was nice to have something to hold it when I was doing something else. Trolling on the Great Lakes is different. Hard to hold 2 rods and run the boat. I've seen buddy hold 2 rods trolling for Smallies on Lake Erie though. The nut. 

That tight lock rod holder looks to be your $$ answer Reef.

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

The jingle jangle..Good tip Porkpie; I can see a lot of uses for the elastics.

OI, I agree...I usually have rod in hand to feel the strike but like to put it down in the holder when having lunch on the troll and steering the tiller at the same time.

Thanks fellas.

7 hours ago, J Roelofsen said:

I've ground/sanded down the trigger on several rods for this reason. You can leave a little nub there or remove the entire trigger. They don't really serve a purpose for my fishing style. And any custom casting rods I build for myself are void of a trigger as well. 

Josh 

haven't used a trigger handle for casters since the offset, trigger, pistol grip days with on old direct drive knuckle buster on top, but I'm old ?

• Like 1