Perfect weightless senko setup

mamona

Last week I boated > 100 fish on wacky and texas rigged weightless senkos (had a nice vacation, fished every day).
All I used was 1 rod Fenwick EA66ML-FS http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-eagle/fenwick-eagle-spinning/1363879.html
Paired with Shimano Nasci 1000, 20lb braid + 10lb fluoro.

Pros:
Casts a mile (or 2)
Very sensitive
Rod itself is a fantastic bite detector. I can even feel baits fall bumps. I know, I should watch my line instead, feel it with my finger.

Cons:
No power whatsoever. Getting 2 lb out of a water was quite a task. Getting 4-6lber out of a tree was 10min hard job.

Could you guys recommend rod for wacky/weightless senko? I love my Fenwick for its sensitivity, hate for its lack of power.

Sticking with Fenwick, I'd have a look at the Elite Tech Bass model ETB70MH-FS 

I've been very impressed with the value in the Fenwick lineup and have picked up a bunch of Elite Tech rods recently. Everything from the River Runner trout spinning rods to the Elite Tech Predator series offer great performance and warranty at a reasonable price point. 

Josh 

Edited by J Roelofsen
  • Like 1

A ML isn’t known for horsing fish around especially not in any cover.  I know it’s a rod Yamamoto recommends for fishing Senko, but personally it’s too light.

the eagle rods are nice, however going up to an prior model HMG, elite tech or if you have the budget Aetos will give a noticeable difference in power, depending on the model you choose.  I would personally go up to a M, F or XF if u want some more tip power.

every rod manufacturer has a rod that will work nicely, but it ultimately comes down to how in depth you want to get with your equipment.  The slight performance increases for some on a $800 is worth it, while for others the performance from a good $60-$150 is more than enough.  

• Like 1

Thank you guys for suggestions.
G loomis a bit pricey, Dobyns not available in Canada... Elite Tech Bass reaches St Croix Mojo Bass price point... Interesting.
I am not stuck with Fenwick, I am open to ideas. The only reason I used it was that this was the lightest rod I had with me.

All these rods differ from each other... I understand I should go Medium. What about tip, F or XF in my case?
And lure rating, up to 3/4 or 5/8?

I have been throwing unweighted plastics - senkos and flukes - with an older Shimano Compre 7' M for years and love it. IMHO, you want something with plenty of backbone, but a fairly flexible tip for good casting: more of a F tip than XF. I like to cast using the flex of the rod, so the slightly slower tip loads easier with lighter lures. 

• Like 1

If your having trouble getting fish out of cover go with a MH. If your fishing open water M is fine. A fast action rod is ideal, still a little tip flex to aid casting the lighter bait....maximum  lure rating won't matter whatsoever in your application. 

From what I've seen the elite tech is nicer rod and it definitely has a better warranty than the Mojo ?

Josh 

Edited by J Roelofsen
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, mamona said:

Thank you guys for suggestions.
G loomis a bit pricey, Dobyns not available in Canada... Elite Tech Bass reaches St Croix Mojo Bass price point... Interesting.
I am not stuck with Fenwick, I am open to ideas. The only reason I used it was that this was the lightest rod I had with me.

All these rods differ from each other... I understand I should go Medium. What about tip, F or XF in my case?
And lure rating, up to 3/4 or 5/8?

You can still get Dobyns ion Canada. you do not say where you are from but Pro J in Toronto still carries them and I think Pro Advantage in Belleville may as well.

As for weight, you aren't throwing a bunch of weight here so 3/4 would probably be more than enough. The 702 is rated up to half ounce and I have never had any issues. I think Fast would also be more than adequate for the presentation.

• Like 1

I prefer a 6 ft 6 to 7 ft MH rod for senkos.

Here is a great tip to save on senkos if your budget allows.

Have two rods on deck. One rod is used for texas rigged senkos and one rod rigged with a wacky hook.

Once your texas rigged senkos are spent, you can transfer them to the wacky rod. double the life of your expensive senkos

• Like 1

I use an okuma reflexions RX-S-701M spinning rod for my wacky setup. It has been an awsome rod for me, not expensive and I got it a a swap years ago even cheaper than retail. Caught my PB largie last week on it

20190809_092324.jpg

Edited by 206
  • Like 1

I am a Shimano fan for rod (reels of course too) as for me they perform and I have warranty close in PTBO.  If you are close to Gagnon's based on the link you shared then PTBO isn't to far for you for warranty and service (tune-up's and or parts).  I have an older Compre too that I use for any senko application and love it.  It's fast, 6'6" and has backbone to hoist a fish into the boat when needed.  I like it more than my Fenwick HMX.  Also Gagnon's sell StreamSide you might want to check out.  I have used them in the past for a river rod and was really impressed.