Freshtrax

as a friend would say.. nice visit to the grocery store.

15 hours ago, captpierre said:

Amazing. So it’s only a trolling thing on Erie? I hear they come in like logs  

Do they run in suspended schools or are they scattered on the bottom? Can you jig for them? ErieDearies?

Keep in mind I haven't fished in years, during the early 80's you could troll, or cast baits like Erie Dearies, nuggets or even Rattle Trap style lures. I used to catch them throwing blade baits near the rocky areas of South Bass, Kelly's Island and the other western basin Islands. Finding them wasn't that hard back then even without great electronics, on this side all you had to do was look for the " school " of boats casting or trolling for them.

They had a habit of suspending and we did a lot of long line trolling lures like wiggle warts and hot n tots for them, the smaller ones were kind of like logs, once they got over 4# or so a better fight! LOL almost like a sheephead!

Lake Erie walleye on the move, but trophy fish still being caught: Aug. 9 Fishing Report - cleveland.com

On 8/7/2019 at 8:38 AM, J Roelofsen said:

Ohio was smart enough to realize the value of the sport fishery and banish the commercial industry. Guess where Ontario sends a majority of the commercial catch now!?.....yup, right across the border to our neighboring great lakes states. Stupid. Theres plenty of fish out there for everyone right now but if history holds true they'll continue to raise commercial quotas until its too late, the fishery will crash and we'll be waiting for a miracle spawn for the fishery to recover like it thankfully has the past couple seasons. The outlook right now is very, very promising but I have little faith in the management of the resource. 

Josh 

Now if they would stop commercial netting of Perch the numbers might bounce back?

With the Walleye numbers absolutely exploding the perch are scattered and changing their habits. I've heard stories of them suspending much higher in the water column. The commercial netting doesn't help but I wouldnt expect any big increase in perch numbers with them being on the menu of the massive Walleye population. And those Walleye numbers aren't dropping anytime soon! Heard a story the other day that it's looking like the 2019 Walleye hatch is likely going to put the massive 2018 hatch to shame 😉 

Josh 

• Like 1