Jump to content

Freshtrax

as a friend would say.. nice visit to the grocery store.

Recommended Posts

My first time out on erie for eyes ever.  Had my dad ( bit of a meat hunter lol) and my brother with me . we got em patterned pretty quick,  a few went back , most went in the cooler. Bigest of the day was 27.5 and 8 lb  not bad for 4 hours in the afternoon on a bluebird day :)

 

 

 

IMG_20190806_113514_005.jpg

IMG_20190805_232347_240.jpg

Edited by Freshtrax
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!  If it wasn't such a haul I'd bring the oldman down there.  Action on Erie this year has been incredible from what I've been hearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice wally & stringer of eyes ! i have a friend out of STANLEY, the wally fishing this summer is incredible, so he says.  ps. i have eaten 3 feeds of them, with my miss vicky malt vinegar recipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BillM said:

Nice!  If it wasn't such a haul I'd bring the oldman down there.  Action on Erie this year has been incredible from what I've been hearing.

It was a gong show   couldent keep lines in the water.    Like i said ive never been before only fished erie for bass but it was a riot. lines down at 1:30 and back to kitchener and fish cleaned before the sun set. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow what a mess of fish. My understanding is the last couple years have been fire out there for eyes. You proved it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rizzo said:

wow what a mess of fish. My understanding is the last couple years have been fire out there for eyes. You proved it

Nice fish and no disrespect Andrew when I say,  the on fire thing will be done if this is done by all anglers out there. Reminds me of pictures back in the 40,s and 50,s. Hey,it,s your right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angler with sport license 6 walleye in your possession.

Commercial fisher with nets full on a daily routine, until quota is met and that's only if they're not doctoring their books. Sorry man; but who's doing the damage to the fishery?

Dan.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DanD said:

Angler with sport license 6 walleye in your possession.

Commercial fisher with nets full on a daily routine, until quota is met and that's only if they're not doctoring their books. Sorry man; but who's doing the damage to the fishery?

Dan.

 

 

Forgot they commercial fish out there, so I guess take what ya can when ya can. :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, misfish said:

Nice fish and no disrespect Andrew when I say,  the on fire thing will be done if this is done by all anglers out there. Reminds me of pictures back in the 40,s and 50,s. Hey,it,s your right.

I hear ya.. i almost didntt post that  pic.  for this reason.   like dan said below theres multipal comercial boats out of most ports in canada on erie literaly netting tons of fish daily for your local sobys

 We Went one time and caught a limit.  I dont feel the least bit guilty apart for the one  lager fish that wouldent revive.  If this was an inland lake completely different story. 

 

I dont understand how theres so many fish with so much pressure but there is actualy talk of increasing limits for recreational fisherman in the future. 

Edited by Freshtrax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously you are a mindful fisherman. If the fish #'s were at risk the keep limits would either drop prior, or immediately after; the MNR has some pretty good levers for managing our fisheries. All decent fishermen are aware of the risks of keeping/injuring too many fish... the problem 'back in the day', just like the olde market-hunting years that almost wiped out ALL of our wildlife, was that people thought that the resources were unlimited (the bison will eventually come down from Canada they said!), plus there was no real oversight. 

All that to say, good luck tomorrow and the day after and the day after... PM me the back to back to back to back drooping string of fish with more and more family members involved, followed by pictures of frost-burned bags of fish :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio was smart enough to realize the value of the sport fishery and banish the commercial industry. Guess where Ontario sends a majority of the commercial catch now!?.....yup, right across the border to our neighboring great lakes states. Stupid. Theres plenty of fish out there for everyone right now but if history holds true they'll continue to raise commercial quotas until its too late, the fishery will crash and we'll be waiting for a miracle spawn for the fishery to recover like it thankfully has the past couple seasons. The outlook right now is very, very promising but I have little faith in the management of the resource. 

Josh 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Rod Caster said:

Obviously you are a mindful fisherman. If the fish #'s were at risk the keep limits would either drop prior, or immediately after; the MNR has some pretty good levers for managing our fisheries. All decent fishermen are aware of the risks of keeping/injuring too many fish... the problem 'back in the day', just like the olde market-hunting years that almost wiped out ALL of our wildlife, was that people thought that the resources were unlimited (the bison will eventually come down from Canada they said!), plus there was no real oversight. 

All that to say, good luck tomorrow and the day after and the day after... PM me the back to back to back to back drooping string of fish with more and more family members involved, followed by pictures of frost-burned bags of fish :D 

Are you friggen joking here ? They do not have a handle on anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone that fishes Erie can take limits every time out and it will have little impact on the population. Estimates put the #'s at or above 130000000 walleye in the lake right now. And this springs spawn could easily ad another 50000000+ to that total. No amount of recreational fishing is gonna put a dent in those numbers. 

Josh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, J Roelofsen said:

Everyone that fishes Erie can take limits every time out and it will have little impact on the population. Estimates put the #'s at or above 130000000 walleye in the lake right now. And this springs spawn could easily ad another 50000000+ to that total. No amount of recreational fishing is gonna put a dent in those numbers. 

Josh 

That is crazy numbers. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea. Have atter then.  Simcoe does not get that close to any fish here. If anything,numbers are going down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats, but be careful it’s addictive.  I’ve been dragging my boat down 2 plus hours each way every week for a few years now the fishing has been so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on a great day. I'd love a load of walleye too! 

The problem with the picture is simple and has ZERO to do with Freshtrax. Ethical people will stick to the limits and follow the rules. But...this is the internet, where idiots come to get their bright ideas. lol By Freshtrax just acknowledging his reluctance to post the pic tells you he's a stand up guy. Good on you!

PS I think I really need to trade my bassboat for a walleye boat!! ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, porkpie said:

Congrats, but be careful it’s addictive.  I’ve been dragging my boat down 2 plus hours each way every week for a few years now the fishing has been so good.

i think im safe.  it was fun but it dosent scratch the itch like the big kings do for me.   the dipsie rips went quite as ferocious lol

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing. So it’s only a trolling thing on Erie? I hear they come in like logs  

Do they run in suspended schools or are they scattered on the bottom? Can you jig for them? ErieDearies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 6:07 AM, misfish said:

 Reminds me of pictures back in the 40,s and 50,s.

The 50’s......

5703CE93-1192-40B3-BE96-91E5D794B0BA.jpegWe need more stringer photos!!!

Edited by Pikeslayer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, captpierre said:

Amazing. So it’s only a trolling thing on Erie? I hear they come in like logs  

Do they run in suspended schools or are they scattered on the bottom? Can you jig for them? ErieDearies?

the bigger ones were fiestty.  i trued to run the lighest gear i could. ran spinning gear off the riggers.  but dipsies and leadcore we were just winching em in.    the bottom was  stacked like cordwood with fish but had to run the baits up about 20 ft to get bites.   this was my first time walleye fishing erie i just went into it  with an open mind ,  once we had a bite or two started feeding em what they wanted. 

Edited by Freshtrax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pikeslayer said:

The 50’s......

5703CE93-1192-40B3-BE96-91E5D794B0BA.jpegWe need more stringer photos!!!

lol  Funny guy Sy.        the only reason dad wanted that photo was "to get a photo like grandpas"

Edited by Freshtrax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...