trolling Lake O. having some line issues

huzzsaba

Last trip out, trolling in 1-130 feet, one of our lines (braided line on downrigger) was accumulating this gooey type of yellow stinky stuff. it was very tough to get off and it was mostly in the top 20 feet of line. I'm glad we didn't hook into a fish on that line because there was no way I could have reeled it in.

Never happened before in the last dozen or so trips.  Wondering if the water was just very dirty that day, or I should switch the type of line. had 2 other lines out, one with mono (downrigger) and the other with braid (flatlining), and they were both fine.

Any ideas what happened? any tips or suggestions? Id like to keep the same reel which is a 4000 series shimano, so to get a lot of line on there, I would like to stick to braid.

thanks

They are spiny water fleas.  They haven’t been much of an issue this year because the waters been cold.  By now they are usually a problem.  They stick to braid like snot to a doorknob.  You’ve been given good advice.  They still stick to 30lb big game a bit, but not bad and easy to remove.  The are a non issue with wire divers.  Flea flicker hasn’t been available for several years now.  I still have a bulk spool of 20lb.

• Like 1