carp fishing kawartha lakes/London area.

Harrybsfc

Hello, thanks for letting me join. I’m from England but I’m coming out to Canada, Ontario for 2 weeks in September. It’s not a fishing holiday but some fishing will definitely be happening. Has anyone got any advice on areas I should visit to try and catch a better carp as when I was out before caught lots of smaller ones so wanted to try and get one over 20lb! Also advice on what licences I need would be great.

we are staying a few days in London, then travelling to the kawartha lakes area then off to Tobermory and back to London.

thanks guys,

harry.

I never fished for carp but can absolutely guarantee the Kawartha Lakes are loaded with them and it seems as if every single one is huge LOL

Lots of stuff on Youtube and this is the 1st one I came across but may give you some ideas.

Enjoy your trip to Ontario, it's a wonderful place.

12 hours ago, Harrybsfc said:

Hello, 

many big ones or is there slot of small ones as well? Thanks 

Our group of carpers fished Little Lake for years....the smallest I saw was about 15 lbs...mostly 18 to 22 lbs...my son caught a 25 lbr. five years ago (our last carp fishing adventure) A friend got a 30 lbr...

I miss carp'n a lot but my health failed me the past few years so it is playing with the play fish now...

No slot size for carp but you will need a licence to fish for any species...lots of luck Mate

Edited by Beans

I use to fish Hastings until carp hunters really started to put a number on them.  I draw them in with chum, they stick them with an arrow so I stopped going there so not sure if they are still there or not.  Rice lake near gores landing has a pier but it did go under construction recently so not sure if it is still open.  Second little lake suggestion but it is popular spot.  Suggest google mapping any local fishing stores, drop by and ask for some assistance and using satellite image to see any access points of any body of water.  

On 8/4/2019 at 6:40 PM, Beans said:

Our group of carpers fished Little Lake for years....the smallest I saw was about 15 lbs...mostly 18 to 22 lbs...my son caught a 25 lbr. five years ago (our last carp fishing adventure) A friend got a 30 lbr...

I miss carp'n a lot but my health failed me the past few years so it is playing with the play fish now...

No slot size for carp but you will need a licence to fish for any species...lots of luck Mate

The second best thing about carp fishing...sitting around telling lies to each other while waiting for a bite

The4Amigos_2.jpg

• Like 1

buckhorn and chemong are loaded with them

but honestly...if you are coming all of the way from england, why would you bother angling for something you can get at home, why not try your hand at some musky, pike or smallmouth, or heck, try for some salmon or trout ?

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 3:57 PM, Velvetsmack said:

In Peterborough, Otonabee River right at the Zoo - Where the train crosses the river - right across from Riverview Manor on Park street. Use to be tons in there AND the family can visit the Zoo while you're fishing - It's nothing but a win-win situation :)

I second this and anywhere south of the zoo on the river.  There are some nice spots to set up.

You are coming to the right place my friend. I know you are going to have a blast here Carp fishing. I once had a business trip to the UK one June. I paid some Estate Agents to use their PC's.  Talking I found out they were Carp guys. I showed them some pics on my phone of the 20 pounders we catch right where we live. They booked a trip to Ontario just to fish Carp.  

I know you Carpers are some serious fishermen with the detailed set up's you use. I think you can be very successful on just a good spinning rod and reel. A good one with plenty of line for those 20 pound of muscle line peels. Maybe some of the guys here that have fished the areas they mention they might give you advice for a good Carp set up. Good luck man and welcome. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Thanks very much for all the help. I have 3 nights in Peterborough booked and will defiantly try little lake and the spot by the zoo. What licence do i need to get? Also where is the best place to get some maize or sinking trout pellets from??

Thanks,

Harry.

3 hours ago, Harrybsfc said:

I have 3 nights in Peterborough booked

About 15 years ago another fella from England posted here that he was travelling to Peterborough and wondered if anyone in the area would like to hook up for some fishing. I had a place nearby and invited him up when he got here and we had a great day fishing together and became very good friends after that. We kept in touch for a long time that but sadly he's never come back to Canada.

I still live just 15 miles or so north of Peterborough but no longer fish but there's lots of other guys in the area who I'm sure can help you out.

Best of luck when you get here, it's a beautiful part of Ontario.

6 hours ago, Harrybsfc said:

Hello all,

Thanks very much for all the help. I have 3 nights in Peterborough booked and will defiantly try little lake and the spot by the zoo. What licence do i need to get? Also where is the best place to get some maize or sinking trout pellets from??

Thanks,

Harry.

I "googled" boilies for carp fishing and was surprized that Amazon sells all kinds along with pre-tied hair rigs and plastic stoppers...My old friend Photoz used to use Dole "Summer Sweet" corn on his hair when he couldn't find maize...not as durable as maize but a can lasts a long time...

19 hours ago, Harrybsfc said:

Hello all,

Thanks,

Harry.

Make sure you visit the Publican House Pub for some great pints, or more down to earth the Black Horse pub.  Both are good.

15 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

As for bait Lew may know a tackle shop in the area. 

The last time I used live bait was probably a box of worms 65 years ago so there's not much help I can offer  LOL

23 hours ago, lew said:

The last time I used live bait was probably a box of worms 65 years ago so there's not much help I can offer  LOL

I thought you might know where he could get some stuff. I only use live bait when I want to catch fish myself. Actually only Emeralds for Perch and tip hardware for Walleye. Went to Lake Okeechobee for big Largies in Fla. years back a few times, the Shinners they use exclusively are bigger than the Perch we keep.  

Most farm feed stores in just about any rural area should have sacks of maize (aka cow corn). You can buy an 80lb bag for about $10-12. Trout pellets in any real quantities aren't that readily available in most places unless you buy them from an aquaculture farm. They're also usually expensive when you find them, and they're generally not that instant of a bait when it comes to feeding carp.  

If you're in the Kawarthas, just find any form of water and you're bound to hook into carp. All of the locks usually hold resident fish throughout the summer - I'd recommend rigging up with some heavy braided mainline to combat the zebra mussels (like 65-80lb PowerPro).

• Like 1