Bearings & Axle sizes

John Bacon

If you have the time and patience, you still might be able to save the axle. Start by cleaning all of the grease off the damaged area with some solvent. Now with some 60 grit emery cloth (1 - 1 1.2" wide) about a 1' long length and start polishing the damaged area. After the 60 grit has done its job, move up to 120 and then finish off with 320 grit. Keeping the polishing even around the diameter of the spindle. When you're done the bearing should slide on the spindle easily and the inner race (the part that touches the spindle) of the bearing should be able to rotate easily when held and turned by hand. Don't over polish; stop when the bearing will just slides on. The inner race of the bearing needs to be able to rotate ever so slightly; by the friction of the rollers running over it. If it cannot you will have bearing failure again; due to the load weight will always be on that one part of the bearing race. 

Lay the cloth over the spindle; take one end of the cloth in each hand and start pulling the cloth back and forth, over the damaged area; something like how a shoeshine person would buff your shoes with a cloth. I've salvaged a lot of axles over the years here at the garage, by doing this. To the point I bought a handheld 1" wide air belt sander; speeds the job up. LOL

Dan.

• Like 1

Thanks, but what about the parts of the axle that have a reduced diameter? 

The bearing races will be sitting on the narrow parts of the axle.  Your method will allow me to get the bearings on; but I would be concerned about how long they will last if the fit is a bit sloppy.  Regardless, I may need to do this if I want to tow it somewhere where it can be serviced.

19 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Regardless, I may need to do this if I want to tow it somewhere where it can be serviced.

Your best best if you want to get the present axle serviced without towing it and doing any more damage or worse: Park it. Jack up the trailer frame and remove the axle from the springs.  

3 hours ago, John Bacon said:

Thanks, but what about the parts of the axle that have a reduced diameter? 

The bearing races will be sitting on the narrow parts of the axle.  Your method will allow me to get the bearings on; but I would be concerned about how long they will last if the fit is a bit sloppy.  Regardless, I may need to do this if I want to tow it somewhere where it can be serviced.

John, bolting on a new axle is super easy. No need to take it to a shop.

Jack up trailer, remove wheels, remove the 8 nuts from the U-bolts holding the axle in place, remove axle.

Install the new axle in reverse order.

Go fishing!!!

Wait. You originally said that the replacement bearings had to be hammered/forced on? If so that tells me that the spindle’s damage has knurled it. In other words increased its diameter. By polishing it, it will bring it back to its original size. 

Dan. 

10 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Your best best if you want to get the present axle serviced without towing it and doing any more damage or worse: Park it. Jack up the trailer frame and remove the axle from the springs.  

Thanks, but Cerka has a 3,500 lb axle assembly for $155.  I don't think it would make ecomomic sense to have the axle serviced and the bearing replaced it I can get an axle assembly for $155

http://www.cerka.ca/20a39sa-3500-lb-single-straight-trailer-axle-idler-hubs

8 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

John, bolting on a new axle is super easy. No need to take it to a shop.

Jack up trailer, remove wheels, remove the 8 nuts from the U-bolts holding the axle in place, remove axle.

Install the new axle in reverse order.

Go fishing!!!

Yeah, I think that's what I will endup doing.

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Wait. You originally said that the replacement bearings had to be hammered/forced on? If so that tells me that the spindle’s damage has knurled it. In other words increased its diameter. By polishing it, it will bring it back to its original size. 

Dan. 

I took a more thorough set of measurements.  There seem to be some ridges with increased diameter along with sections that have been gouged and have a smaller diameter.  The smallest diameter is towards the end where the outer bearing would sit.  The largest diameter is towards the middle  That could be sanded down to allow the inner bearing to fit on.  But then the outer bearing is going to have a bit of a sloppy fit.  The inner bearing would be sitting partly on an undamaged section, and partly on a gouged section.  I don't think I would ever trust that on a long trip.