Shore fishing Lake Erie (Wheatley area)

zenon11

Hi there,

Has anyone here ever tried fishing from shore on Lake Erie near Wheatley? My family rented a cottage right on the lake and I was hoping to do some fishing after my little one goes to bed. I’ve fished from shore before on big water on Lake Abitibi and had some success using just a pickerel rig. Would that be the ticket here or is there anything better to use? Am I just wasting my time?

thanks! 

Years ago when I lived at Long Point on Lake Erie, we would often fish the lake side of the point at night,  sort like surf casting using cut bait and shrimp, we would get Channel Cats up to 20 or so pounds. Caught them all summer right up until duck season opened. Might be worth a try.

I live on the lake but have never fished that area from shore. Fishing is never a waste of time. Unless the kid is an infant take he or she with you. From shore here a good casting float and a drop shot set up just off bottom or a slip sinker rig with worms or shiners are usually good to get a sheepshead, silver Bass even the odd Perch. Not positive where Wheatley is, I'm thinking the west side of Long Point? On that side of the point waves are your enemy fishing from shore. Bring the kid.  I'll Google Wheatley. 

Looks like that area has a few inlets like Holiday Harbour and the Provincial Park. .I can see those areas holding all manner of fish. Good luck. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for the tips everyone! My daughter is 15 months old, so she’s not quite up for fishing yet. I’m just looking to throw a line out and see what bites. I’m not expecting anything crazy, I’d just like to get something to feel a tug on the end of the line (I haven’t had a chance to go fishing in a long while)

thanks again for the help!!

Huzzsaba hit it on the nose....you might be in time for the perch run out of Wheatley....I used to stay out at Campers Cove and fished from the beach there.....if the perch are running out there you will do very well with a pickerel rig and minnows!!  Good luck!!

Chrispy!

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

Huzzsaba hit it on the nose....you might be in time for the perch run out of Wheatley....I used to stay out at Campers Cove and fished from the beach there.....if the perch are running out there you will do very well with a pickerel rig and minnows!!  Good luck!!

Chrispy!

Couldnt not believe it when I caught this jumbo off lake ontario pier last week using the same setup I mentioned above. Works really well!

IMG_20190726_2120427.jpg