DIY replacement for Gas BBQ burner tents

Remember to turn off all burners before you turn your tank valve off and you should not have any more flow problems unless one of your burner valves is defective. I had your problem with my old BBQ and ended up throwing it out before I learned about the fix.

2 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

Remember to turn off all burners before you turn your tank valve off and you should not have any more flow problems unless one of your burner valves is defective. I had your problem with my old BBQ and ended up throwing it out before I learned about the fix.

I am throwing it out anyway. I did all that, it's toast. It has taken a severe beating over the years. It's lag screwed into the deck so it won't blow away like my others did. It faces the full fury of Lake Erie. The hurricane force winds we had on Halloween and a week later actually bent the doors in concave before they finally broke off and bent the cross member in too. Yep time for a new Q. I'll save the new 80 buck diffusers and bring 1 with me shopping. After shopping I'll take it for lunch. 

On 1/29/2020 at 3:09 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

That did it Crimsongulf. Thank you so very  much. And here I was looking for a bag of money to buy a brand new Q. Not that I would have been heartbroken if I had to buy a new Q. I wonder why that procedure worked. 

GO BAMA!!!!!GO!!!!

It is some type of nanny safety feature that restricts flow.  From what I have read, it happens if the burner controls get opened with the bottle turned off and then it thinks it has a leak.

The procedure resets the regulator.

Go figure.

Edited by Crimsongulf

On 1/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Premature cheering. Got my 2 beautiful NY Strips all ready to go. Lit the Q, nice flames. Within seconds same thing. Repeated Crimsons procedure. Good flame for 30 seconds then 1/2" flame only. Time to dip into my boat/fishing account. That may be a misappropriation of funds, an impeachable offence so I will have to ask my wife to open the purse strings for emergency home maintenance. I only paid 140 Canuck bucks for it at a liquidators in Brantford 6 years ago, a toonie a month. Owes us nada. 

Off topic of course. The news is on a Boston TV station. They say brace for cold air coming down from Canada, what cold? 0C in Halifax -10 low. When in doubt blame Canada. Poor economy, illegal immigration, blame Canada. 

Get a new regulator first.  That also happened on my weber and I forgot to put that in my original post.  the reset worked fine and then a couple of years later it did the same thing that you experienced.  A new regulator from Harbor Freight fixed it for 10 bucks.

• Like 1