DIY replacement for Gas BBQ burner tents

I have a gas BBQ that is a discontinued Walmart brand. The burner tents are shot, no replacements available. The burners are like new. I was going to use steel stud 2X3's and cut them to size. I was told not to, they aren't safe for cooking on. These things all come from China and or Vietnam. You think all the steel used on them are checked for Metallurgical analysis to determine if they are compatible safe and for cooking on? I don't but don't want to slowly kill ourselves either.

Any suggestions all?

Studs are galvanized (zinc) and should not be heated or used for cooking....get some bent up out of stainless at Walker's or Cooks sheet metal in Simcoe or somewhere to be sure and they'll outlast your bbq..

https://www.hunker.com/13419206/what-are-the-dangers-of-cooking-with-galvanized-steel

Edited by G.mech

2 hours ago, dave524 said:

Walmart BBQ 

AB5D2343-513C-4CFF-9327-275B9C31E9FA_zps5yqisola.jpg

That's the exact BBQ I have the side burner.  The old one was an old bed frame over a lit log. But notice that is beef on there not Maple Leaf Hot Dogs. 

My wonderful lady saves everything including the original brochure from the thing Replacement parts are available after all. If you can't trust what a Wally World manager tells you who can you trust?Ordered the 5 tents for 80 bucks including tax and shipping, hee haaw. Bring on the succo and Gnocchi. Use the big Gnocchi or they fall through the grates!

5 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I have the exact Italian Q. But notice that is Beef on it not Hot Dogs. Hot Dogs, the  typical manga cacca WASP cookout. A Canadian can feed 8 with one package, 1 each only please.  

My wonderful lady saves everything including the original brochure from the thing Replacement parts are available after all. If you can't trust what a Wally World manager tells you who can you trust?Ordered the 5 tents for 80 bucks including tax and shipping, hee haaw. Bring on the succo and Gnocchi. Use the big Gnocchi or they fall through the grates!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I bought a Broil King 15 years ago and last year without any problem I bought burners and side plates and had them shipped from broil king to my door in 3 days !!!  You have to love Quality products and parts. My Bbq is under a steel awning on my deck and I use it 4x a week year round..

15 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That's the exact BBQ I have the side burner.  The old one was an old bed frame over a lit log. But notice that is beef on there not Maple Leaf Hot Dogs. 

Are you kidding us, cooking  gnocchi On a BBQ! Glad you are using the BIG ONES. ok some of us are not Italian so please explain how you do that. 

It better be good. Lol.  OR is it 911-DOYOUDELIVER?

2 hours ago, ketchenany said:

Are you kidding us, cooking  gnocchi On a BBQ! Glad you are using the BIG ONES. ok some of us are not Italian so please explain how you do that. 

It better be good. Lol.  OR is it 911-DOYOUDELIVER?

You can cook anything on a BBQ, even fried eggs. Put them in a pan, ha!

I seriously don't BBQ Gnocchi. I do occasionally make them with real deal Potato flour. Not exactly on a Diabetics diet. A small portion won't kill me. Was Dad's favorite so I made them every time he came  to the lake. . He could scarf an entire plate of them in a sitting. His faves were from the Capri Restaurant in Hamilton. His last visit, and I thought it might be was last December the 29th. Everyone was here, all my brothers kids and spouses and their Grand Babies. My brothers were MIA. Never pass up an opportunity to be with family, for any reason. It just might be the last time one has the chance to. Dad passed 4 days after his 92nd birthday this past April the 26th. We all miss them both. Mom passed last  August the 11th. I have learned most of Mom's wonderful recipes, but not all. Dad couldn't boil water but could pour a good shot of Crown. 

Thanks all for the info on the BBQ tents. My wife sourced them and ordered the OEM's for the Q. Thanks again all.

John D. 

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks, we bought them online months ago. Just now I fire up the BBQ and hardly any pressure on the burners. I can't win for loosing. The regulator may be toast. I haven't used it for months. Too windy. 

OI I had that issue a few years back with my BBQ. Some trouble shooting stuff I found somewhere told me to clean out the pin hole on the regulator. Could be clogged with crap or even ice...which I think was my case because it happened in the winter. Brought the BBQ in the house....let it thaw out and cleaned the pinhole and it worked like a charm. I was also told to make sure that when I shut off and turn on the tank crank it slow. Apparently if you do it too fast you can cause a pressure lock and the propane will not flow properly. Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappieperchhunter said:

OI I had that issue a few years back with my BBQ. Some trouble shooting stuff I found somewhere told me to clean out the pin hole on the regulator. Could be clogged with crap or even ice...which I think was my case because it happened in the winter. Brought the BBQ in the house....let it thaw out and cleaned the pinhole and it worked like a charm. I was also told to make sure that when I shut off and turn on the tank crank it slow. Apparently if you do it too fast you can cause a pressure lock and the propane will not flow properly. Good luck.

Thanks bud. It sounds logical. I'm now thinking spider webs from last fall. It is warm out here, +5C today. Not a single bit of ice or snow on the ground. I'm going to try and slowly open the tank as you mentioned. If that ain't it I'll pull the burners and check the regulator and outlet to the burners for webs left over from last fall. Thanks again. 

This thread should be on the non fishing forum Art. It's an old thread. 

4 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks, we bought them online months ago. Just now I fire up the BBQ and hardly any pressure on the burners. I can't win for loosing. The regulator may be toast. I haven't used it for months. Too windy. 

Have you tried this?  The regulators may be different than in the states, but I don't think so.  I have had to do this a few times on my Weber.

Reset the regulator by turning off the burners on your gas grill. Turn off the propane tank and disconnect the hose from the tank. With your gas grill lid open, turn the burner knobs to high for about two minutes, and then turn them off again. Reconnect the hose to your propane tank and slowly turn on the gas. Follow your grill's lighting instructions. If this doesn't increase the flame size, you may have a faulty regulator that needs replacing.

7 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

$80.00 for a new set of heat shields is nuts, I just go to Wallmart and buy one of those $25.00 charcoal BBQs which last me 2-3 years and I prefer using the charcoal instead of the propane anyway.

I always enjoy coals over gas Cliff, charcoal not briquettes. I usually have someone's old gas BBQ left on the side of the road and I put some type of sheet metal or old baking trays, they last the longest, across the bottom to hold the charcoal. A trick I use is to put the coals in a metal coffee can and poke several holes in the top of the can then  light it and blow air into the bottom with a hair blower or leaf blower. It lights all the coals quickly then I remove the can and spread out the coals. I have done it using smoker wood chips, voila, a cheap smoker. If I add iron ore pellets I have a home made mini Blast Furnace. The generic shields I looked at would not fit properly, all too short. The manufacturer knew what they were doing, needs their replacement parts only. 

16 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

Have you tried this?  The regulators may be different than in the states, but I don't think so.  I have had to do this a few times on my Weber.

Reset the regulator by turning off the burners on your gas grill. Turn off the propane tank and disconnect the hose from the tank. With your gas grill lid open, turn the burner knobs to high for about two minutes, and then turn them off again. Reconnect the hose to your propane tank and slowly turn on the gas. Follow your grill's lighting instructions. If this doesn't increase the flame size, you may have a faulty regulator that needs replacing.

I am going to do this asap. Thanks. 

18 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

That did it Crimsongulf. Thank you so very  much. And here I was looking for a bag of money to buy a brand new Q. Not that I would have been heartbroken if I had to buy a new Q. I wonder why that procedure worked. 

GO BAMA!!!!!GO!!!!

Premature cheering. Got my 2 beautiful NY Strips all ready to go. Lit the Q, nice flames. Within seconds same thing. Repeated Crimsons procedure. Good flame for 30 seconds then 1/2" flame only. Time to dip into my boat/fishing account. That may be a misappropriation of funds, an impeachable offence so I will have to ask my wife to open the purse strings for emergency home maintenance. I only paid 140 Canuck bucks for it at a liquidators in Brantford 6 years ago, a toonie a month. Owes us nada. 

Off topic of course. The news is on a Boston TV station. They say brace for cold air coming down from Canada, what cold? 0C in Halifax -10 low. When in doubt blame Canada. Poor economy, illegal immigration, blame Canada. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker