HDMI Cable TV Fix NF NF

ketchenany

I have a 46-inch flat screen a few years old, a while back I had problems and called Rogers; went though the tests and they recommended a new HDMI cable, well it solved the problem. The prices range is ridiculous,  they recommended a  cheap one would work and it worked fine until last night, probably a year or so. Thought it was the TV gone. The last time I bought a new HDMI and  after found two new ones that came with other electronics.

I pulled one out plugged it in and problems are solved. SO if it happens to you give a new cable a try. A lot may have chucked the TV, I had those thoughts. Worth a try for the price of a cable . . .

I bought a cheap HDMI cable from a liquidator store. I just knew the picture wasn't what it should be. Went to Best Buy and was sticker shocked at the 30 buck price tag for a 4' cable. The picture is just amazing now. Have had it for a few years now. I recommend spending the money. If you don't see a difference take it back.

I found stuff at the dollar store is crap right off the shelf when it comes to electronics. I recently bought a mini SD card and adapter to load up some books for my wife's KOBO reader.  I saved the books to the SD card and the reader couldn't recognize the books and they would be corrupted on the SD card. Tried scanning and formatting and nothing worked. I bought another SD card (same make and size) from a computer store for $3 more and had no problems. I had one of my TV's lose signal a few weeks back, so I went on a search to find out what the problem was.  Discovered it was one of the connections in my crawlspace.  Changed the connection and problem solved. There are many things that can go wrong with electronics and they can drive you crazy. I guess I'm saying that starting with quality will have a better outcome. That's not always easy for me, because I'm so cheap. LOL

There is a good reason products show up in dollar and liquidator stores, even name brand. From batteries to razor blades, Energizer and Gillette for example. Often they are items that don't pass initial quality tests and they find their way to stores with cheap prices. Caveat Emptor. Electronic items and shop tools are always in boxes that have been opened and taped closed, wonder why? Clothing is often sized wrong and you find out when you put it on at home. 

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

There is a good reason products show up in dollar and liquidator stores, even name brand. From batteries to razor blades, Energizer and Gillette for example. Often they are items that don't pass initial quality tests and they find their way to stores with cheap prices. Caveat Emptor. Electronic items and shop tools are always in boxes that have been opened and taped closed, wonder why? Clothing is often sized wrong and you find out when you put it on at home. 

I agree, when it comes to electronics and connectors I would never buy the cheapest crap. No need to buy the most expensive but buying quality is seldom a mistake.

Cheers

56 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

I agree, when it comes to electronics and connectors I would never buy the cheapest crap. No need to buy the most expensive but buying quality is seldom a mistake.

Cheers

I've seen big screen TV's and brand name at liquidation stores, specifically Channel Exchange in Brantford. They are scratch and dent which means scratch and broken, sometimes. They do have an exchange policy for electronics at least. I shop there every so often. Have had some super deals. Small Hyundai air compressor and 2" bradnailer, 50 bucks. 6 burner SS gas BBQ, discontinued Walmart brand, $139.00, 6 yrs old. Can't get replacement tents now though.  

6 hours ago, dave524 said:

With analog signals I found quality makes a difference, with digital signals , it either works or it doesn't has been my experience.

Yea they may work but the question is still how well does it work and for how long. It's like using real cheap fishing line to me, not a chance. The standard el cheapo dollar store crap HDMI is only standard rated, not high speed. Plus they use the cheapest materials and labour to manufacture them. Plus it's definitely even worse for longer runs, you absolutely need quality cables. Standard HDMI is only rated to 1080i, maybe 1080p, not even close to handling the data flow from blue ray or 4K signals let alone handle gaming.
I'm like that with everything I use, a good habit I learned many years back. You'll never regret buying quality, but often regret buying junk is my motto.  No need to go bonkers. Take Monster cables for example, yea they're good quality for sure, but they're still way over priced and over hyped IMO.

I'll leave with this. So lets say a new smart TV of decent size and quality brand runs $750-$1G. Wow, it has 3 HDMI inputs, right on. Well on the other side of that chassis are internal HDMI cables. For that kind of money spent, there will be very high quality components inside. No one would expect or accept dollar store quality cheap crap. So why use it between devices then?
Cheers