Nipissing West Bay weekend

gino

Hey guys!

Had a great weekend of fishing and camping with my son this past weekend.  We camped on an island and fished , and fished...?. Bite was hot, we caught some good numbers of pike...not big ones but really feisty ones. Got in to some bass, but none was pic worthy. Perch was on, all weekend,  we got a few jumbos while we trolled for walleye.  Speaking about walleye...we caught good numbers of those, most of them in between 10 -16 inches. We got keepers also, 2 nice walleye, 19 and 22 inches . Trolling was the key, but one if the keepers was caught on a lure in less than 10 ft of water...was a great weekend for sure.

Cheers!

Gino

20190726_123934.jpg

20190726_192121.jpg

20190727_092308.jpg

20190726_204043.jpg

20190727_061051.jpg

20190727_130340.jpg

20190728_114213.jpg

20190728_114236.jpg

20190727_061631.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lew said:

Sounds like an outstanding trip for you guys and great pictures.

The West Bay is one of my favorite places in this entire universe !!

Yes! Agree...we love west bay, awesome place. Nice camping spots and fish everywhere. ?

You are the Dad of the summer of 2019. I would have killed to spend that kind of time when I was your boy's age. Do me a favour, wear shoes on a boat. Nothing worse than spoiling that kind of weekend than to have to go into North Bay to remove a hook buried in a foot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You are the Dad of the summer of 2019. I would have killed to spend that kind of time when I was your boy's age. Do me a favour, wear shoes on a boat. Nothing worse than spoiling that kind of weekend than to have to go into North Bay to remove a hook buried in a foot. 

I keep forgetting about wearing shoes in the boat. Funny thing(...not funny for me) that actually happened to me in 2013. I was fishing Parry Sound area , got really early in the boat and I forgot a rod on the bottom of the boat, with a lure attached to line...next thing, I got a hook in my foot...had to go to emergency to cut it and get a shot. Thanks for reminding me, I should have learned by now...??

• Like 1

You are a God for giving that young lad an everlasting memory!  Don't be getting a big head and start with the Godfather lines - that's a demotion from what ya earned!  Seriously, I envy you what you have shared with your son, do it often!

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Envious you had the chance to do this! Can't wait for my kids to be that age.

I feel like the fishing has improved in West Bay. Not many reports from that area, but it seems to be picking up. 

@Old Ironmaker our hospital has a dedicated fish removal station. I saw it when I went in for ehmm... cough... a fever. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cheaptackle said:

You are a God for giving that young lad an everlasting memory!  Don't be getting a big head and start with the Godfather lines - that's a demotion from what ya earned!  Seriously, I envy you what you have shared with your son, do it often!

Michael

Thank you! My son really enjoys going outdoors.  For the last 3 years we had at least 1-2 weekends of camping + fishing  and we already planned for next year. One more (long) weekend of fishing coming up ....Algoma , in September ????

6 hours ago, Sterling said:

I feel like the fishing has improved in West Bay. Not many reports from that area, but it seems to be picking up. 

@Old Ironmaker our hospital has a dedicated fish removal station. I saw it when I went in for ehmm... cough... a fever. 

Yes, the fishing definitely improved,  but keep in mind Nipissing is a fish factory...such an amazing lake that has potential to rebound because of the fantastic forage. It looked like everywhere we throw a lure there was some sort of fish...definitely a place to take kids and youngsters,  they won't get bored and plenty of islands to camp.?

13 hours ago, Sterling said:

Better hook removal faculty than in Buffalo area. My Uncle in North Tonawanda goes to the local Vets to have hooks removed from his arse, more than once. I witnessed it.

Is the West Arm of Nipp the same as the west bay? Way back my inlaws cottage was on Bear Creek and we fished the South Bay and locals called it the west bay too. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Good on you for putting that trip together! You have your priorities firmly in order and your son will remember it forever. 

And yeah, awesome pics and the sunrise is beautiful!!

We just had some amazing sunrises and sunsets...would be a shame if I didn't took a few shots. And, yes...I agree with you grimsbylander, he for sure will remember this way more that any video games he plays...????