Trailer hitch extension just for launch?

Raycaster

Just came back from Lake St. Clair and had a brutal time launching my boat from the public ramp at Jeannettes Creek.I have a 16ft pontoon on a tendem trailer which is ok for towing but when I built the bunks on the fenders I didn't realize the height would come back to bite me later. The boats sits high on the trailer so unless the ramp is a "cliff" my vehicle has to go way too far in the lake to launch.

Anyways I plan to just make a simple extension used ONLY for launches, a hassle but 10x better than driving into a lake.

I just plan to purchase 3-4ft of 2"OD rounded 1/4" steel tubing. Will drill the 2 holes on the one end and put a ball on the other.

Anyone know the cost or a good place in Hamilton area to purchase the metal? Went to a trailer place and the prices for extension started at $100 for 12" soooo its a DIY.

As mentioned this is launch ONLY and will get a good tremclad paint job first.

My trailer had square tubing all the way the way to the axle, so I removed the hitch bought 10 ft of tubing that fit inside the trailers frame put the hitch on it slide it in drilled some holes to pin it and I had up to 10 ft of extension which I needed for a lake  I fished. And it was always on the trailer just slide in and out as needed  the trailer I have now I can’t do but if the trailer is the right shape it works well

Google “Metal Super Market” there’s probably one in your area. Oakville has one in and around 3rdLine and Speers Rd. They’ll cut your length as well. Another option is go to any weld shop. They’ll have drops kickin around. They’ll drill it a lot faster as well. Good luck. 

-Pidge

Beach Road Steel at 1900  Brampton Street (in the north end)  will give you a way better price than Metal supermarkets and cut you whatever length you want.  2x2x.12 or 2x2x.188 HSS would be fine for this purpose, I'd think the lighter the better.  

You can buy hitch extensions. They are most often used on pickups with campers in the bed. I have seen them as long as 4'. I built one for my buddy and it works mint. Etrailer has a ton listed. There's a 4' bare metal one for building your own for less than $80 US.

Edited by DRIFTER_016