Added to the smoking family

misfish

As you all know,I am hooked on this smoking hobby now.  I am very pleased with the old one I got from Jessy a couple of years ago. It was my trial and error unit, and is still does it,s job, but the burner is getting weak. For the price of the burner,I got a brand new unit. :thumbsup_anim:            

3 weeks ago I seen a brand new front loader at the local hock shop. This location I frequent regularly. I was actually their first customer back 24 years ago. Sold them a gas ice auger.  So like I said,3 weeks ago, I was walking through the store and seen this brand new smoker. The asking price was a deal already, but I took a chance to see if it would be sitting around for a bit. After work today, I stopped in. Walk in casual just browsing. Peak around the corner where it,s been and well, it was still there. Owner comes walking by and asked how things are going. I say how would like to make my day?  I will give you $100 for the smoker. Without even a pause,he says it,s yours. $100 cash no tax. SWEEEEEEET. Que Happy feet dance.

It,s the front end loader and came  with everything. I love the hanging rod. Oh there will be some sausages hanging on that. You will notice the sticker on the box. Le Barons and the price of the brine's and chips.  I am not sure how these brine's will be and the chips, as I cannot find any expire dates on any of them.

Will run a smoke session through it with out any meats in it first, then give it a whirl on Sunday. :Gonefishing:

DSCF4762.thumb.JPG.dbdf876534b08f5839da1eb4f603f509.JPG

DSCF4763.thumb.JPG.ef85074edde3a3fb6bfa4844b1b68010.JPG

DSCF4764.thumb.JPG.a831019db7ffaa18c0e9eadd2f3edd25.JPG

DSCF4766.thumb.JPG.2ecc9c2860eb6464c93e6878c4adfee7.JPG

DSCF4768.thumb.JPG.4243454a80fbfd260fc92b8ae2b8cc6d.JPG

• Like 1

Same one I have. Save the cardboard box for winter use. You put the box over it to keep heat in. You can buy replacement drip pans and chip pans (chip pan is Stainless) from them on line. I did and they are cheap. 

Another tip is to drill a small hole that exactly fits a meat thermometer so you can monitor inside temperatures. 

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I just filled the pan and doing the first smoke before anything goes in it. WOW,that burner got hot fast. I opened the chip bags that came with it. More like saw dust. I will keep with what I have been using. Nice small chips. I get it at Walmart. Been using it for the past 2 years. Works well for my needs. I have used the large chips from Cabelas. They smoke way to much for where I live but do like it. I don't want to piss off the condo neighbors.   ?

There is a hole on top of this one. My top loader doesn't have one. Do I want to restrict it a bit to keep more smoke in ? I am thinking it,s designed like this for a reason. Hole for temp gauge. Thanks C

I want to see what temps I get with the new unit. I really would like to do meats other then fish.

Man just after posting this,I had to unplug and pull the pan. Those chips I got with it stank like a burning house and smoked like crazy. Is this how yours smokes C ? And to add,it gets hot fast.

This was with in 10 minutes.

I have always used the chips dry. Maybe I need to go 1/2 wet, 1/2 dry ?

DSCF4784.thumb.JPG.c84e7302cd395d9a6c32d5c4b23c664c.JPG

Edited by misfish

I smoke on a Weber kettle or Masterbuilt upright propane smoker, for both, I use chunks (apple, cherry or peach) vs chips. For ribs I keep the temp between 225° - 245°. No need to soak chips if you're smoking meat. and yeah, the smoke coming out of them will either entice your neighbours, or miss them off, for the 4-5 hours needed.