Fishing for Info

43 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Is it just me or is there a run on new members asking for lake info in their first post?? Lol Three years ago they would have been ROASTED!! ?

A lot of the guys doing the roasting have kinda left.

Roasting pushes the thread up, giving it more attention. If you dislike newcomers asking for info, best course of action is to ignore the post.

If you're like me, you're inclined to help newcomers. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I think there's value in it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sterling said:

If you're like me, you're inclined to help newcomers. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I think there's value in it.

X2

I might be naive here; but even a great forum like this, it still needs new people to join and feel welcome. Now if this or whoever new member doesn't contribute in other ways; I'll get the coals for the dog's roast.

Dan.

The Facebook fishing pages have really changed things around IMO. 

Maybe it's just me, but has this page not slowed down a little since that big wave of Facebook pages similar to 705 anglers, and the Simcoe pages started getting popular? 

If I'm not mistaken the whole history of this site has been about sharing information and helping each other. As for not being here for a while, I have drifted away a few times over the 20 some years I have been a member, sometimes life just gets in the way. I will still try to help a new member if I can but I am cautious until I get to know them.

Used to be most newbies took the time to introduce themselves and give us a bit of background to what they did, what they liked to fish for and what info they could provide.   Seems like that's gone out the door too, maybe too many holes in the net.

• Like 1

Most of us are very wary about sharing our knowledge, because a great fishing spot was ruined after mentioning it on a forum. Seen it too many times. Seen ice fishing spots go from a hand full of people to too many to count after being discussed on a forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ketchenany said:

many many years ago John Power (Toronto Star) wrote an article about the great ice fishing in Owen Sound Bay. Went up and it was standing room only!!!!!

Oh there are many that hate the out of towners up there. Even to this day.

Facebook groups have slowed down forum participation for sure, but most of the Facebook sites are full of nonsense.  Spot blowing has been going on since the dawn of time.  In early 2000’s there was a steelhead magazine that blew up south shore Erie and Ontario fishing that was relatively unknown at the time.  What can you do.  New people is good, but if they just want location info, they have no plans to stick around.  I never give location info other than to the occasional member through PM.  Why would I give that up to this unknown quantity and his friends.  No thanks.  I am am always happy to discuss what works for me as far as techniques though, no real harm there!  I’m not about to roast anyone though, you can always choose not to respond to spot hunters!

• Like 2

I have had many people who I have no CLUE who they are PM me and ask me for info on 6-mile lake.  Because they used the the OFC search feature, and found out I fish the lake a lot, and used to live on the lake. 

Does this happen to anyone else?  

Sometimes it's from seasoned forum members.  But I h'ave had a few guys with single digit post counts asking me for detailed information.  And they where not being very smooth about it...   Those types don't get a reply..

• Like 2

We actually have in our rules that sharing spots is not something we encourage and prefer you do it in P.M. This helps keep places from getting to much attention. If you are getting P.M.s that you do not want you can block that person from sending future ones easily. 

Art

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NAW said:

Does this happen to anyone else?  

Terry is always asking,but then again,he does have to catch.  Oh he does,sometimes. :w00t:

Hey buddy, wheres all those fish you said were out there ? I stink,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:thumbsup_anim:

Edited by misfish