Got a new truck today

lew

I bought a new F150 Lariat last year and absolutely loved the truck but there was a serious issue with the 5 litre engine so Ford installed another engine recently and that one had issues too. I told them I was done with the 5 litre and didn't want the truck back.

I wanted to replace the truck and get one with the 3.5 EcoBoost instead and I've never seen a dealership do so much to make a customer happy. There's already a great "Employee Discount" thing going on which knocks a pile of $$$$ off the price and then my dealership discounted so much more money for me I was almost embarrased. On top of that they got FORD to toss in more cash and today I'm a happy man again.

This thing has more bells & whistles than the Space Shuttle and pretty well every option available including full roof skylight and retractable running boards.

My 2018 Lariat that I had to give up....sadly .....and then the new 2019

003_10.jpg

003.JPG

004_1.jpg

Edited by lew
  • Like 5

Like the full 4 door Lew. Will hold all your rods and tackle boxes. Or when you hit the drive in movies,it will well,,,,,,,,,,,, OOPS me bad. :devil:

I am one not into all the bells and whistles. I like the KISS style truck. It is a sweet looking ride though.

Edited by misfish

5 hours ago, irishfield said:

What was the engine issue Lew??? Mine has some harmonics I don't like when pulling a LOT of weight and it ate some oil it shouldn' t have between the last two check ups.

Thanks guys

Wayne, Ford made some changes to the 5.0 in 2018 and since then many of them are going thru crazy amounts of oil including mine that was using a quart of oil every couple thousand miles. Ford denied there was a problem at first saying that was normal then changed their mind and said if any 5.0 engines were using a quart in less than 3000 miles the engines would be replaced. I got a new engine and that was worse than the 1st one so I made the decision to get rid of the truck. Ford offered to put in a 3rd engine but I wanted nothing to do with it

As far as I know though, Ford still won't say what the actual problem is. I've had a 5.4 and a 3.5 Eco and both were great and then way too much trouble with the 5.0 so I've gone back to the 3.5

It cost me a few bucks to upgrade but as stated above my dealership was absolutely unbelievable and saved me a LOT of money and even Ford threw in some.

Life is too short to worry about things and rather than fighting FORD for more I moved on and am very happy with my decision.

Edited by lew

Very nice Lew. I have the 3.5 in both my pick up and my van and so far they have been bullet proof. I am glad to hear FORD did what they needed to do to make this right by you. Enjoy the new truck 

Art

Thanks Dan & Art, yeah I could have fought Ford for more money but I'm sure their lawyers are much bigger than mine and they could drag this thing on for years. 

As mentioned above my dealership was unbelievable in what they did for me and the money they saved me and if anyone is looking for a fantastic FORD dealer go to Boyer Ford in Bobcaygeon 

I was disappointed to hear that the 5.0 litre has problems. I had only heard good things about it when it first came out and how it was an improvement over the 5.4. Thanks for sharing your experience Lew. My brother-in-law had bought a new Ford a couple of years ago; changing over from a Chevy. He had nothing but problems when towing and ended up trading it in and going back to a Chev. The Ford dealership kept saying there was nothing wrong with the truck, but they lost power when towing something heavy.  The scary part is, is that the truck was probably just put back out on the market the way it was after being traded in.

10 hours ago, irishfield said:

What was the engine issue Lew??? Mine has some harmonics I don't like when pulling a LOT of weight and it ate some oil it shouldn' t have between the last two check ups.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5032124/ford-replacing-f150-5-0s-due-to-oil-consumption

I am just assuming that is accurate? A number of things can cause excessive oil consumption. LOL, complaining about 1 quart of oil in 3000 miles? They must have missed the 1960's?

Paul, that link you put up describes what's happening pretty well exactly with the 2018 5.0 engines.

That was the issue with my 1st engine but the new replacement engine was totally different.

Long story short......The day after they replaced my motor, I picked my truck up and with the new engine only having gone 40 miles...yup FORTY MILES...the engine started rattling like crazy. I took it back to the dealer and they couldn't figure what was causing it. They had a Ford engineer come and look at it and he determined it was down in the bottom of the engine but he wanted it driven more to add some miles on it and that's when I said NO WAY did I want this  truck back.

When I picked up my new truck yesterday I talked to the mechanic who did the replacement and he said they pulled the oil pan and filter and found metal filings in both and figure it's coming from a rod bearing.

Would any of you guys go for a 3rd 5.0 engine ???....no, I didn't think so.

6 hours ago, lew said:

Thanks guys

Wayne, Ford made some changes to the 5.0 in 2018 and since then many of them are going thru crazy amounts of oil including mine that was using a quart of oil every couple thousand miles. Ford denied there was a problem at first saying that was normal then changed their mind and said if any 5.0 engines were using a quart in less than 3000 miles the engines would be replaced. I got a new engine and that was worse than the 1st one so I made the decision to get rid of the truck. Ford offered to put in a 3rd engine but I wanted nothing to do with it

As far as I know though, Ford still won't say what the actual problem is. I've had a 5.4 and a 3.5 Eco and both were great and then way too much trouble with the 5.0 so I've gone back to the 3.5

It cost me a few bucks to upgrade but as stated above my dealership was absolutely unbelievable and saved me a LOT of money and even Ford threw in some.

Life is too short to worry about things and rather than fighting FORD for more I moved on and am very happy with my decision.

Nice ride Lew !

I worked at GM for many years, so always drove GM trucks, got canned a few years back  with all that was going on … my last GMC pickup had the oil consumption issue as well, found out that lots of them made in Mexico with the AFM (active fuel management) for that particular year had this issue, but the dealership was reluctant to do anything… I also read online about the metal filings being found in the oilpan ...after I got the heave ho from GM I sold the truck and bought a Tacoma … basically gave GM the finger and will never buy another one of their products …

will see what the long haul results on the Tacoma will be … built in Texas !

Edited by Jds63

,,,,,,,,,,, nice truck

sounds like the dealer stepped up to help and got ford to give a little money, but basically he traded in the old one  to buy a new one with some help, I think ford should have done more. but like Lew said they have more lawyers then he does

50 minutes ago, Terry said:

,,,,,,,,,,, nice truck

sounds like the dealer stepped up to help and got ford to give a little money, but basically he traded in the old one  to buy a new one with some help, I think ford should have done more. but like Lew said they have more lawyers then he does

100 % correct Terry, dealership gave me a great trade-in price plus a huge pile of cash discounts and Ford will supply them a new 5.0 engine to put in it and the dealership is gonna ship it down to Georgia to a wholesaler they deal with.

Ford just called the dealership day before yesterday with a cash offer which I obviously took.

I wish all this crap had never happened and ALL the blame from me goes straight to Ford who in my opinion is currently producing an inferior 8 cylinder motor.

As I said above, life is too short to dwell on crap and I now have an amazing truck that I know I'm gonna enjoy.

• Like 1

Thanks Lew.. mine ate 2 quarts in 3000 KM by the dipstick, but who knows if the last oil change the guys actually filled it. This round they made sure it was on the full mark, changed the PVC valve per Ford tech and I'm monitoring oil consumption every 320 KM. I complained it sounded like a diesel when I first got it and was told it was just the EGR valve clacking.

My 2011 with the 5.0 had ZERO issues... this one I'm not so sure. Only good thing about it is I got the upper hand on trading in the 2011 when the rear end went for the second time after it was fixed from being hit and burned on Landsdown St. Nobody bothered to tell the sales manager my truck was sitting their while service and the body shop where fighting over whom was paying for the rear axle as it wasn't going to be me! ?

Looks like you'll probably be getting a new engine Wayne but it'll be one built in 2019...hopefully.

From what I'm reading most guys are happy with the new engines and not reporting any issues so good luck to you if you go that route.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Good grief, 1 quart per 3000 is crazy. 

The really sad part though was Ford saying a quart every 3000 miles is normal.

And Dan, thanks for the early morning laugh LOL