Summer time crappies

KeithK

Hi All,

I'm new to the Kawarthas on Pigeon Lake near Emily Provincial Park.  I was catching some nice tasty slab crappies during the spring time, but they all seem to have disappeared.  Anyone have any idea where I can find them on Pigeon Lake?  I only have a small aluminum boat with a 9.9 outboard, so can't go far.  I would appreciate any information on where and how to find them.

Thanks,

KeithK

They are more than likely suspended in the deeper water to the north.  It's rare to catch a crappie in the south end once the spawn is over. Most people don't target them in the summer because they are very tough to locate and catch. Just my opinion though.

Harder to target in the summer as they disperse into heavier and deeper weeds.  In the summer my go-to crappie bait is a jointed rapala minnow J05 in either fire tiger or yellow perch pattern.  Slow retrieve over 5-8 foot weed in 10-14 fow.  Light action rod with a lot of give so you don't come up with nothing but lips on the hook set lol. 

Thanks to all the members for responding.  The reason for my inquiry was that I caught a nice slab last week on a wacky rig catching largemouth bass.  I thought maybe someone might know if they are still in the river but in deep weed.  As a quote on my tee shirts says "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work".  

Gone Fishing.

I've been laying the smack down on big slabs since the start of July.  I can't catch them in the spring for ****!   Weed edges in the 8-15ft range morning and early evening.  It's a gongshow one minute and the next it's over.    I've catch them in the exact same spots year after year.   Also bonus walleyes as well.    I find they much prefer edges compared to being deep in the thick stuff.   And they'll definitely suspend over open water as well.   

Edited by BillM

2 hours ago, KeithK said:

I was hoping to hear that Bill, are you able to share with us where on Pigeon Lake are you catching them slabs.  Any hints would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

It's not pigeon, but if you find those weed edges I'm willing to bet you'll find the crappies.   Lunker City fin-S minnows are my fav on a 1/8oz head.