B1 Fishing - Mortality Rate - 44% - Not A Good Look

AKRISONER

https://fishb1.com/f/st-lawrence-river-report?fbclid=IwAR3svmbOVRCbs8x0F7U_69q2kfEnFm2p9XYSaCyfk6l1NsQ7et9ZldtXmCc

So this happened a couple of weeks ago. Not a good look for tournament fishing at all, 96% mortality rate for smallmouth...ouch

IMO its a combo of lack of fizzing by anglers and furthermore something specifically wrong with the live tanks at weigh in. They definitely need to fix this. Holy cow if I was a St Lawrence Bass angler I would be absolutely livid. Not only did they kill 183 bass, they killed 183 of the biggest bass in the area. Not good not good at all.

I read the link. There seems to be many steps and procedures' in place to ensure mortality rate is aimed at zero. Something within the entire process from fish first hooked until release has failed. I find the report woefully lacking any data that would explain why. That would include a necropsy be done on many of the fish that died as well as an investigation of all the systems in place to ensure zero mortality. rate.  I know that would cost big bucks. I am sure an investigation of that magnitude is not in a tournaments budget. If it is not then that tournament should not be held. Does the MNR act as a watchdog during these tourney's to ensure mortality rates are zero? Are charges pending? I wouldn't want to be the person that signed on the dotted line on the tournament application. I don't think we have heard the end of this. I hope not. 

Yeah stop catch and release. Just go to catch and keep within the limits of the law...46 teams x2 days with a 5 fish limit = 460 dead fish with a 100% mortality rate. 

In my opinion, a much more common sense approach would be to regulate limits by the size of the body of water and current weather conditions. I will guarantee that super hot humid weather played a huge role in the mortality rate. Why not run the tournament with a 3 fish limit for example?? 

People read articles like this and instantly focus on that one number without looking at the big picture. Want to save 183 bass quickly? Cut the catch and keep limits down to 3 fish across the province. You’ll save 183 bass first day on Erie alone!! And every Saturday thereafter.

Knee jerk reactions rarely ever work out well.

• Like 1

Who wants to keep and eat a wormy Smallmouth? I will eat smaller bass from Erie but not a 5 pound er here or from a small hot lake up north or a lake or river around here, especially during summer. Regs say if you kill a fish you can't waste it which means eat it to me.

• Like 1

Preliminary report I got was oxygen levels were to low in release tanks. .

One thing I can say for Andy pollata of the csfl he really cares about the fish and image of tournements and will reschedule if it looks like a highmortality rate or dangerous weather

It's definitely not the first tournament that had a high mortality rate. I don't think there are any real answers to avoid something like this happening other than cancelling the tournament if the conditions are not suitable for a successful live release (That won't happen!), OR changing the whole structure, which I doubt will happen either due to costs, required volunteers, security, field size, etc. They are what they are until the MNR feels it needs to stop them and I can't see that happening. So many anglers enjoy the competition and will defend tournaments in any way possible. Catch and keep is not an option for tournaments in my opinion.

Sounds like temperature shock could have been a factor.... 

I'm not a huge fan of most tournaments. The entire idea of just doesn't sit well with me. When money and sponsors are on the line the fishery takes a back seat IMO.....just check out these pics I found on a rather popular anglers Instagram page.....yup, same 2 fish with 6 different outfits.....this kind of overhandling and needlessly stressing fish out for a paycheck is perfect ammo for anti fishing groups. If your gonna eat a fish, cool, bonk it and be done. If your gonna release it then snap a quick pic and put it back. Simple. 

IMG_20190703_211820.jpg

IMG_20190703_212416_315.jpg

IMG_20190703_212416_303.jpg

Screenshot_20190711-181628_Instagram.jpg

IMG_20190703_212416_300.jpg

Screenshot_20190711-183623_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190711-181302_Instagram.jpg

IMG_20190712_085943.jpg

20190712_085723.jpg

Edited by J Roelofsen

I lived on Sturgeon lake for 16 years, every time there was a tournament we found dead fish the next day in the areas where the release boats had "released" them. I have no problem with people keeping their limit as long as it isn't wasted.

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

I lived on Sturgeon lake for 16 years, every time there was a tournament we found dead fish the next day in the areas where the release boats had "released" them. I have no problem with people keeping their limit as long as it isn't wasted.

if it were my home lake, and my neighbours had similar thoughts, I'd probably park my boat in the hot spots. all day

3 hours ago, J Roelofsen said:

I'm not a huge fan of most tournaments. The entire idea of just doesn't sit well with me. When money and sponsors are on the line the fishery takes a back seat IMO.....just check out these pics I found on a rather popular anglers Instagram page.....yup, same 2 fish with 6 different outfits.....this kind of overhandling and needlessly stressing fish out for a paycheck is perfect ammo for anti fishing groups. If your gonna eat a fish, cool, bonk it and be done. If your gonna release it then snap a quick pic and put it back. Simple. 

That's appalling. Is the public aware of this, or are these your findings? Same exact background in the pictures I left above...

Reminds me of Mike Long, supreme cheater of the bass fishing world https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret-americas-big-bass-guru-mike-long/

• Like 1

I left a MSG on her personal website with my thoughts. My message was deleted and she sent me an Email denying all of it and attacking me in return! 

I would have dropped the issue but her response set me off.....sponsors have been emailed and a couple are investigating. I've also shared the pics on a bunch of Facebook groups and fly fishing forums resulting in her threatening me with a slander lawsuit ? 

Here's her response.... 

20190711_184449.jpg

3 hours ago, J Roelofsen said:

I left a MSG on her personal website with my thoughts. My message was deleted and she sent me an Email denying all of it and attacking me in return! 

I would have dropped the issue but her response set me off.....sponsors have been emailed and a couple are investigating. I've also shared the pics on a bunch of Facebook groups and fly fishing forums resulting in her threatening me with a slander lawsuit ? 

Here's her response.... 

20190711_184449.jpg

You know, if you can get her to send over the original photos, I can clear her 100%.

Innocent unless proven guilty and all that... but those are some sketchy photos. Did she just make her instagram private? Because that's sketchy too.

Similar pattern on each fish... check 

Same water chop in every picture... check

Same background in at least 4 of the photos... check

Same shadow in 5 of 6 pictures... check 

Last one is a big deal imo, it means the boat was in the same orientation, and the sun was in the same position for each photo. The two pictures showing time and battery power have the same LTE network, same signal strength, same notifications, and a 4% battery drain over 20 minutes...

However I think you're weakening your case by pointing out distinctive features on the fish, to me the entire pattern of the fish looks the same. 

7 hours ago, Sterling said:

That's appalling. Is the public aware of this, or are these your findings? Same exact background in the pictures I left above...

Reminds me of Mike Long, supreme cheater of the bass fishing world https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret-americas-big-bass-guru-mike-long/

wow i just read this article, its long but a great read and includes video footage of the guy snagging big bass. Incredible.

Honestly makes me wonder a lot about tournament fishing in general. I actually fish a small derby every year and as weird as this is, theres one particular guy that fishes it solo every single year, he never is around at take off, and he puts the fish back in his livewell at the end of weigh in. He also has literally won every single derby that hes participated in....weve always had suspicion that something is up, and this just makes me feel really weird about the whole situation now. It really is, far too easy...and the fact that this guy has literally won 6? times in a row now..Id like to believe that hes a local from the lake and is just that good, but at the same time, doesnt someone have to have an off day at some point? 

Yup, there’s scumbags out there and they’re in every sport. Well, maybe not darts ? No need to overreact though and condemn the entire sport based on the selfish actions of a few.

This thread started based on the mortality rate of one mentioned tournament which has zero to do with Mike Long. He is a whole different piece of work. 

13 hours ago, J Roelofsen said:

IMG_20190703_211820.jpg

IMG_20190703_212416_303.jpg

Screenshot_20190711-181628_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190711-181302_Instagram.jpg

IMG_20190712_085943.jpg

20190712_085723.jpg

The only thing I do notice is all the clouds are different in every picture. Some have no clouds, some just a bit, one picture is complete overcast. But it definitely looks like the same part of the same lake every time.

5 hours ago, Sterling said:

You know, if you can get her to send over the original photos, I can clear her 100%.

Innocent unless proven guilty and all that... but those are some sketchy photos. Did she just make her instagram private? Because that's sketchy too.

Similar pattern on each fish... check 

Same water chop in every picture... check

Same background in at least 4 of the photos... check

Same shadow in 5 of 6 pictures... check 

Last one is a big deal imo, it means the boat was in the same orientation, and the sun was in the same position for each photo. The two pictures showing time and battery power have the same LTE network, same signal strength, same notifications, and a 4% battery drain over 20 minutes...

However I think you're weakening your case by pointing out distinctive features on the fish, to me the entire pattern of the fish looks the same. 

They are 100% the same fish. The pattern on each is identical. She didn't even bother to change her pants and buff.... 

28 minutes ago, J Roelofsen said:

They are 100% the same fish. The pattern on each is identical. She didn't even bother to change her pants and buff.... 

Yeah, looking at it yet another time, I think this is smoking gun grade stuff. Wonder how long till bigger outlets pick this up.

20 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

wow i just read this article, its long but a great read and includes video footage of the guy snagging big bass. Incredible.

Honestly makes me wonder a lot about tournament fishing in general. I actually fish a small derby every year and as weird as this is, theres one particular guy that fishes it solo every single year, he never is around at take off, and he puts the fish back in his livewell at the end of weigh in. He also has literally won every single derby that hes participated in....weve always had suspicion that something is up, and this just makes me feel really weird about the whole situation now. It really is, far too easy...and the fact that this guy has literally won 6? times in a row now..Id like to believe that hes a local from the lake and is just that good, but at the same time, doesnt someone have to have an off day at some point? 

Always the odd one or few that ruin it for the rest.  These are the stories that soured me on tournament fishing.  Not sure why he hasn't been checked out, especially since he isn't there for take off.

Edited by jimmer

On 7/24/2019 at 12:14 PM, grimsbylander said:

Yeah stop catch and release. Just go to catch and keep within the limits of the law...46 teams x2 days with a 5 fish limit = 460 dead fish with a 100% mortality rate. 

In my opinion, a much more common sense approach would be to regulate limits by the size of the body of water and current weather conditions. I will guarantee that super hot humid weather played a huge role in the mortality rate. Why not run the tournament with a 3 fish limit for example?? 

460 fish dead, very unlikely as I would believe most of the contestants are there for the money and would not keep the fish for consumption.  If it was a catch and keep derby, you'd probably find a "number" of fish disposed of rotting away.