Boat that can be transported on top of vehicle

Sketty55

A few weeks ago I was offloading gear at the dock and two guys pulled up in a Mazda CX-5 with a small fishing boat on top of the vehicle. It was for sure not a canoe or any of the typical boats I have seen on a vehicle. I have no idea what size of motor they had on it but i was curious what type of fishing boat this may be, and what options exist for boats that can be transported on top of a vehicle. Wish i took a pic. Appreciate any advice. 

Yup a pic would have been best.  Not sure how big a CX5 is but it could have been a 10-14 ft tinny (common) or even a jon boat, to some sort of RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat) or even a blown up inflatable (not as likely).  The options are only limited to what could be put on the roof racks and tied down, sometimes (yeah right!) without regard to what might be practical and safe up there.  The only way to find out for sure now is to start scrolling through boat pics on for sale sites or google images etc. I'd say.  Have fun and let us know what you find!

Michael

I guess you weren't around in the 60's to 80's maybe. It was common to haul a boat around on the top of a 22 foot or so long ( name any of the Big 3) family car. I went halves with a buddy on an old Sears 12" Cartopper in the early 80's. The 4 HP Elgin motor fit in the back seat. I think the Elgin was sold by Eatons. They must have sold them too. You could buy a boat and motor from the catalogues. 

Dad's 1960 Chevy Impala station wagon fit 9 adults or 13 with 5 kids in the rear facing back seat, we all wanted the back seat. Open the back window and hang out as far as you could without falling out, and no seatbelts. I was going to say no one died but that's not true, some little kids did fall out. Mr. Falwell could take our entire line up and his wife to games. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I guess you weren't around in the 60's to 80's maybe. It was common to haul a boat around on the top of a 22 foot or so long ( name any of the Big 3) family car. I went halves with a buddy on an old Sears 12" Cartopper in the early 80's. The 4 HP Elgin motor fit in the back seat. I think the Elgin was sold by Eatons. They must have sold them too. You could buy a boat and motor from the catalogues. 

Dad's 1960 Chevy Impala station wagon fit 9 adults or 13 with 5 kids in the rear facing back seat, we all wanted the back seat. Open the back window and hang out as far as you could without falling out, and no seatbelts. I was going to say no one died but that's not true, some little kids did fall out. Mr. Falwell could take our entire line up and his wife to games. 

My dad used to have one of those land yacht station wagons in the 7 0 's.  :)

8 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I had a 1960 Chevy wagon go by me last night. It wasn’t the wagon your pop drove in the 60’s...lowered on billets and sounded awesome. Coolest wagon I’ve ever seen

20 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I had a 1960 Chevy wagon go by me last night. It wasn’t the wagon your pop drove in the 60’s...lowered on billets and sounded awesome. Coolest wagon I’ve ever seen

That's great Hack. You can't tell on TV how humungous those land yachts were. It had the massive eyebrow tail lights. If someone hit a pedestrian with one they would be speared like a shish kabob!!

Never know it might have been. He traded it in on a 65' Impala when the drive shaft fell off. 4 door hardtop, no B pillar. Learned on that Chevy. Made out with girls a few times when I drove it to the levy on the Hamilton Beach Strip. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 minute ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That's great Hack. You can't tell on TV how humungous those land yachts were. It had the massive eyebrow tail lights. If someone hit a pedestrian with one they would be speared like a shish kabob!!

I know what you mean. And surprisingly low for such a big car. I love the 60 Impala/wagon/El Camino. The one I saw last night was killer. I never thought I could want a wagon until I saw this one. Super rare and super cool

6 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

My dad used to have one of those land yacht station wagons in the 7 0 's.  :)

It was massive but the biggest car he ever had was a 1970 Mercury Marquis Bromham I took it to Wasaga  Beach for the May 24 and slept in the back seat. I was 5'11 1/2" and my head and feet never touched the back doors.. With his broken English he called it a Mercury Market Broom. He just passed this past April, 4 days past his 92nd birthday. RIP Pa. 

5 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I know what you mean. And surprisingly low for such a big car. I love the 60 Impala/wagon/El Camino. The one I saw last night was killer. I never thought I could want a wagon until I saw this one. Super rare and super cool

He also drove a 55 Chevy Nomad wagon. White roof and upper fender accents over forest green. Must have had leather interior because I remember liking the taste of the back of the front seats as I chewed on them! I knew one was coming up on Barret Jacksons when they were here one day. I called him in to watch, the car went for over 100K more than 10 years ago, he lost it. 

• Like 1

Dad and I often loaded a 14 foot Mirrocraft on top of the '64 Pontiac wagon and one of those low profile 9 1/2 Johnnyrudes in the back checking out Haliburton lakes, think it weighted 120 lbs, 20 more than the 12 footer.

Growing up we had a 12ft Sears Aluminum boat that we put on top of every car we ever owned.  It was a heavy solid boat and very wide so we had wide roof racks.  It was not a one person operation to get it on the racks although I did it a couple of times but was worried about dropping it on the paint.  That tinny had a LOT of slime on the bottom over the 25 years we owned it.  As they say in the offshore salt fishing, that hull could raise fish!

8 foot bass raider. My first boat. Strapped it to the roof of my Mazda 626, no roof rack, just a couple pool noodles and ratchet straps run through open windows. It was secure though, think I actually bent the doors had it clamped down so tight. Couldn’t figure out why it was slow, me and a 200 pound buddy propelled solely by a 1,2 hp air cooled game fisher. Raised very few fish.

• Haha 1

Back 20 years ago or so,I got this fold boat off my uncle. It looked like a suit case. You flipped it open and secured it with 2 bolts on the side. It had two molded seats in it. It was fiberglass, 8 ft long and 4 ft wide.

Edit to correct. Probly more like 30 years+ ago. Age creeps up on the memory.

Edited by misfish

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Back 20 years ago or so,I got this fold boat off my uncle. It looked like a suit case. You flipped it open and secured it with 2 bolts on the side. It had two molded seats in it. It was fiberglass, 8 ft long and 4 ft wide.

Edit to correct. Probly more like 30 years+ ago. Age creeps up on the memory.

I was saying today to an old pal just the other day,  "remember 30 years ago when we did whatever." He said "it was more like 45 years ago old man." It works the other way around too Brian. I"m thinking something happened a few years ago and it more like 15 yrs back. My niece emailed some pics she took when they were here with their babies. I look at them and see I'm covered in grey hair at the back of my head. At least I have hair at almost 65. 1st time in my life I am hoping I make it to my birthday Just today I see in the Obits 2 guys I went to school with. My name wasn't there. 

That fold out boat was smaller than your toon I bet.