Shore Fishing for Lake Erie Bass (Video)

popofish!

Ventured out with a friend for some Lake Erie smallmouth bass recently.

We didn't manage to get into any bigger ones but did have countless smaller bass and some huge sheepshead. Fun summer day all in all. Enjoy the video. Subscribe and share!

Edited by popofish!

Nice, actually 60 years ago , when dad used to rent a 16' cedar strip from Ray's Boat Livery and put his green 5 1/2 Johnson Seahorse on the back, we found the other end of that breakwall , down across from the lighthouse a better spot, caught my first 3 pounder there. There is also an late evening fishery for pickeral, inshore, trolling  just off that breakwall from the shipping channel east to where you are.

Fantastic day you had there. Good video. We live on the lakeshore of Erie. The smaller ones, 12 to 16" or so seem to be in close all summer, all day sometimes. We call them greenies and if you ever considered eating Smallmouth those are the ones to eat. And when they are active they will hit anything that moves. My favorite for them is a smaller Mepps Black Fury or a 3" Pinns Minnow bait. They aren't all small either, the bigger Moma's will chase bait towards the shore in the evening just before dusk. When they are hitting we have a 30 cast contest, my Buddy Groundy holds the record, 30 casts/25 hits and 22 Smallies landed, and not all greenies. Tell me that ain't fun. 

Make sure you wash well after you are walking in that water. I got a bad infection like Athletes Foot that lasted a week or more and hurt like a sonavagun. Also got an ear infection from snorkelling in the lake so bad it ruptured an eardrum. The side of my face was swollen like I went a few rounds with Iron Mike. That was really bad.