Bass are missing the frog?

Bassin15

As mentioned trim the legs down a bit and bend the hooks out just a tiny bit on the frog.... also need to wait at least a 2 count before setting the hook. Line should always be tight using shorts pops to move the bait. Live Targets seem to have the best hook up percentage for me. Don't miss many.

Texas rigged Senko works well as a follow up if needed.

Froggin is one my favourite techniques, and I've learned a ton over the last couple years. 

- Use a soft body frog like a Live Target. They compress really easily. I use these in slop and pads. I use Spro Bronze eye popping frogs in grass or more open water. The spro's are not as soft, so spend some time "working it in" with your hands when you take it out the package, kind of like working in a new baseball glove.

- Trim the tails. I trim the length to about 2-2.5 inches in length. This creates a more compact profile, and a fish that only wants to "smack" the bait comes closer to the hooks this way. 

- Bend the hooks out. Flip the frog over the hooks and turn it around so the hooks are totally exposed. Take two pairs of pliers and put one one each hook, and bend each one away from the other at the same time. This will expose the hook points more (yes, a bit less weedless but will hook up far better)

- Sharpen the hooks!! This never gets talked about. While you still have the hooks exposed, take a hook file and sharpen each hook until they are sticky sharp (if your thumbnail "sticks" to the hookpoint, rather than slides across it, you're good to go). Think about a bass hitting the frog, and maybe not grabbing it totally. Dull hooks will allow the fish to just slide right off if you don't get a solid hookset. The sticky hooks help to keep the bait just pinned enough to give you the time to react and set the hook.

I've noticed my hook ups have gone way up since I've started doing these things.Another thing is to make sure the rod you are using is stout enough and has a fast enough tip to set the hook quickly.

Yes, many times a frog will get "smacked" instead of eaten. I've found if a larger fish smacks the frog, the sticky hooks sometimes help to pin the frog to the fish and you can set the hook. A lot of smaller fish will smack the legs and may not hit again.

Hope this helps 

• Like 3

When we used to snorkel and SCUBA dive we would watch a live minnow that buddy tossed into the drink. A Walleye would take the minnow by the tail, hold it in their mouths for a few seconds, spit it out along with some scales then turn and hit it hard head 1st. Not always but often. I think its the same for Bass, stun the bait so it's easier for the Bass to eat it thus using less energy chasing a healthy prey, like a frog. 

Hey guys thanks for all the tips, really appreciate it. I have cut the legs down very short on the frog, to like 1'' or so and went fishing this morning and caught two bass on the frog, one being 4 pounds, my PB. 

Thanks for all the help, was very helpful. 

• Like 2

When i fish large mouths, 99% of the time its with a frog... its so fun....cant put the frog down even when hits are few and far between...i cant seem to stop froggin

My hook up percentages arent amazing, but some days they just wont truly eat it like alot of others have said.

I bailed on the whole "wait 2 seconds" thing.....I usually set it as hard and as fast as i can the second i see it hit.....But i watch my frog really closely and can usually tell pretty decently if the frog was inhaled or not. 

Use heavy gear and never stop reeling, i fish super heavy cover and if you dont keep them coming towards you they'll bury and then your going to have a tough time.

OK, im going froggin tonight that settles it

OH Yea, that you tube channel Tactical Bassin someone just posted.... is an amazing Bass resource, Ill listen to Anything Matt Allen tells me is a good idea.

7 hours ago, Bassin15 said:

Hey guys thanks for all the tips, really appreciate it. I have cut the legs down very short on the frog, to like 1'' or so and went fishing this morning and caught two bass on the frog, one being 4 pounds, my PB. 

Thanks for all the help, was very helpful. 

Hey thats awesome! Congradulations! Bet you are addicted to froggin now like the rest of us! 

Are you sure they are bass that are blowing up on your frog? I fish frogs all summer long and generally the bass take it down in some fashion. Now Northern Pike they are notorious for missing a top water so it could be them making all the noise for the most part. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I made a video that shows the tips I described in the comments above. Its no where near Tactical Bassin quality haha...but it may help you out if you are having trouble getting bit on a frog.

Not trying to promote my channel by any means, just think it could help someone out. Happy fishin! 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 10:41 AM, KawarthaAngler said:

Gave a thumbs up.  :)

Watch your length though.  Even though you may get a perk from YouTube by going over the 30min length ... that video dragged and found myself jumping forward several times.

Thanks for the tip! Yah this is something I'm working on. Still very new to me and learning a ton everyday. My goal is 20 minutes max. I sure appreciate the advice!