Bass shore fishing southern ontario

GinsengJames

I'm looking for great bass fishing spots, smallmouth or largemouth, that are on a shore as I have no boat. Specifically within 1.5 hours outside Toronto.

I usually go north from Toronto to get away from Lake Ontario where the fish are cleaner and safer to eat.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

If I had to catch a decent smallie from shore I'd be fishing the Niagara River,  you mentioned eating though, so maybe that's not an option.

edit : bet there is a bit of ginseng in the gorge.

Edited by dave524

@Sinker There is a bridge just north of St Jacobs on Hwy 85 (Conestogo river) where I like to go for pike. I've dragged in many in the 5-6.5lb range there using plain metal spoons and 6-10 ft diving suspending fake minnows.

Also there is a canal entering Lake Simcoe just north of Beaverton where there's lots of catfish that go after worms, as well as bass and pike. I've only ever caught catfish there unfortunately, but I've seen bass and pike dragged in by others. The pike were caught with live minnows, 5lb+, the bass with worms.

These spots the fish are very much safe to eat.

@dave524 thanks for the tip. I've looked into the conservation reports for that river and read the fish are not so clean

Edited by GinsengJames

• 10 months later...