Plant base foods? NF

misfish

What is all the hype about this ? I am seeing A&W pushing it , Timmies and now grocery stores. My question is to the ones that are in the know.  Is this a health thing, or a P3TA pushing group to save the animals ?

Sausage made from plant to taste like sausage ? Whats next ? Plant base venison?

I haveyet to try any of the products.

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

I remember checking the label to make sure my burger patties contained no filler, seems like these are all filler and at an inflated price compared to the real thing :wallbash:

This seems to me another word for, veggie burgers.veggie sausage Pattie.

My burgers are home made, Beef egg and onion, I no longer add bread crumbs to give that filler/ bine. So good. I am even thinking to put a few patties in the smoker, before putting on the grill. I,ll bet they turn out better then those advert hickory zhers burgers. LOL

• Like 1

It doesn’t taste too bad, I had to give it a try.  I can’t say I’d ever buy another one though. I have no idea as to the health factor.   We do home made burgers.  Just meat, eggs, worstershire sauce and garlic powder.  No filler. I no longer buy frozen burgers.  The closest to that is we will sometimes freeze the fresh Costco 100 percent beef burgers for convenience, and use those if short on time. 

• Like 1

I love meat. I love shooting and catching meat. I also know I eat too much of it (frequency and quantity). Swapping out meat for plant based "meat" products might be helpful for my long term health and maybe it might be better for the environment. Bottom line is if it doesn't taste good I won't bother. The A&W burger is the one product I've tried that I like, I like it more than A&W's regular burger. It's not healthier than a most of my home cooked meals but if I've decided to eat a fastfood burger already… 

My mom's birthday is this weekend and steaks right from my friend's family's farm are on the menu. 20oz T-bone for the birthday girl, New York strip for me and the kids and a tenderloin for my wife. The only veggies on the menu are onions, mushrooms and baked potatoes. 

So I've heard that Burger King's meat alternative is better than Beyond Meat but isn't available up here yet. A&W's meatless burger is fine and is something I'll have now and then as I'm eating less and less beef, so this helps. Will never leave pork, chicken or lamb though.

As for being processed, I don't think it can be compared to sausages etc as was mentioned before, sodium is probably much less, as are other ingredients.

For a die hard carnivore, this is an occasional meal that will hopefully help my ticker, keep on ticking.

Edited by woodenboater

If it had roots it's veggie.  If I want veggie I'll have salad or toppings.  Burgers are meat.  Sausage is meat.  I am not a vegan or whatever is pc for not eating meat.  I eat meat.  Basic, that's me.  Meat goes there, veggies go there.  Never the twain shall mix until I chew 'em up!  I just can't bring myself to eat plant based sausage or burgers - seems like a contradiction in terms.  If they sell enough to those who want them - fine, keep going.  I'll be over here wiping meat juices off my chin with a huge grin on my face.

Michael

9 hours ago, bushart said:

Can't confirm...but I read the processed "meat" is full of salt---that other thing they warned us about

Hello Terrance Hope all is well with you. Nice to hear from you.

Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting.

I eat plant based food all the time. Cow, sheep, deer, moose, pig, rabbit, chicken and fish; they all eat plants, plant seed or plankton and I eat them. I don't see what the issue is? LOL So take those veggie burgers and feed them to the animals and when large enough harvest the animal.

Dan.

Edited by DanD
  • Haha 2

Pop'n demographics are a changin' folks. This stuff is simply a competition to snag a whole other rapidly growing customer base. Many cultures don't allow beef and/or pork but their members are sold on the BIG restaurant chain ads/hype that gets them wanting to go. Also their friends from meat-eating cultures also go there and to join in it is good biz to have similar products of a plant-based kind.  It has zero to do with us meat eaters other than it's more comfy to have friends join and enjoy without having meat as deterrent. It's all good IMHO. 

I guess they’ve shown that less meat in our diets is healthier. Recently they  found even white meat is no better than red meat.  The worst meat seems to be deli type meats preserved with salt peter. ie ham, sausage, salami etc. There are strong cancer risks.

Im a butcher’s son and am used to lots of meat.  But I’m cutting back.  It’s not easy to replace meat. Trying to replace sandwich meat with egg salad, canned salmon etc. Not sure about these meat replacements foods  

I think the best nutritional advice out there:   Eat a variety of foods. Mostly plants. Not too much. 

Yes plant based, as in Industrial chemical 'plant' based foods is what these are. The process of making these is incredibly disturbing. Take for example ingredient #5 in Beyond Meat : Methycellulose, also known as the primary ingredient in KY Jelly, it is produced by timber companies such as Tembec. It is not food! Almost all health/environmental claims they make are conflated or completely wrong.

These are not whole foods or good foods. The pea protein they are made from is at best 50% bio-available and known as a common allergen. If you have GI issues, stay away from these products! Good food is unrefined and typically has one ingredient.  Good meat, including organ meats, are the most nutrient-dense and bio-available foods we have at our disposal. Liver is a darn supplement if you look at its nutritional density. This is indisputable, except by those who think eating a KY Jelly burger is better for you because it fits your confused religion, who are just rebelling against their own existence as a high trophic-level animal.

There are NO unique nutrients in plants that humans need that are not available in animals. I love the taste of plants, but that's only to satisfy my mouth, not my nutritional needs.

Search :

Paul Saladino - Eat nose-to-tail. All animals contain all the nutrients you need and are super bio-available and easy on your gut.

Miki Ben-Door - fascinating research showing our trophic level as carnivores (who can eat other foods as well) if we compare ourselves to other animals.

Frank Mitlohner - Leading air quality expert showing effects of agriculture on climate change (way smaller than you've been told).

Peter Balderstaad - agriculture expert on how animals should be raised and how they are good for the land/soil.

Joel Salatin - Polyface farms - proper farming practices (rotational with animals and plants).

Jeff Volek (Verta Health) If you have diabetes.

Robb Wolf - Paleo style eating

As a meat eater, I don’t care. First of all, the more people who eat this stuff the better. It has the potential to help keep pricing down on meat long term. I look forward to seeing meal worm used in alternative foods so we can sort out the people who are really trying to save the planet  :) 

Secondly, my gf is pescatarian. This stuff just means options, easier negotiating where we eat, easier to make meals at home. If we have to eat at McDonalds on the road, she gets a wrap and removes the chicken. They charge the same amount so if she can actually get food instead of ripped off, that’s a good change. 

I used to eat meat daily without even thinking about it, but a few years ago I had some health issues that sidelined me for months. Veggies are important to your digestive health and lean protein like fish and chicken is much better for you. A piece of red meat or even pork every week seems like overkill now. 

I have no issues with people eating meat or soy, but Now I’m careful to make sure the meat is the meal and not an after thought. Ground beef at most restaurants is garbage, chicken as a topping on pasta or pizza I s often a roll of the dice, pork is used cuz it’s cheap. Tilapia is acceptable ‘fish’, it’s darn mushy garbage.

Anyway rant over, the most important thing about food is that it’s healthy and you enjoy it and it makes you feel good. It took a trip to the emerg to realize that for me. 

Now why would I take veggies like these and try and make them taste like a sausage?

This is my first attempt at hydroponics and it has been fun watching my stuff grow. No weeding, cultivating and the growth rate is amazing.

1097592108_IMG_2950-Copy.thumb.JPG.9bd42572e1b5adf54a5aa23f1f60fdb6.JPGWant  a salad, to go with that steak? Go out and pick enough romaine or lettuce leaves that you need for a meal. Next week there will be more growing in. Starting on our second round of strawberries; all the blossoms are back. 

Dan.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

The only thing that disturbs me about Plant based foods is that I did not invest in companies making this crap as their stocks are going through the roof!

I could then afford to buy more Prime Rib roasts!

HH

https://www.coldlakesun.com/news/farm-news/alberta-could-become-a-plant-based-powerhouse

That is a sweet set up Dan.

Edited by misfish