Plant base foods? NF

misfish

They look like a fine group of highly-supplemented gentlemen with lots of scientists monitoring the heck out of them and convincing them that cholesterol is bad even though your liver makes it, you are dead without it, and it is the building block for all of your hormones and cell membranes. Its a well-produced promotional video, and I think that one doctor is the same guy in the 'What the Health' documentary, which contained a lot of bad science and retracted studies. 

There are extremes on both ends of this story. The main difference being that the animal-based eaters rarely need to supplement with anything but real food (like more salt)

There's a lot more to cholesterol than that.

HDL = good cholesterol

LDL = bad cholesterol

A simple Google search can clarify for you what they mean, do and how they can affect your health.

Once you know the science behind it, you don't need videos to tell you what you should eat or not ?

You should though check your cholesterol levels once a year, especially cause it seems to get worse with age ?

4 minutes ago, iFish4real said:

There's a lot more to cholesterol than that.

HDL = good cholesterol

LDL = bad cholesterol

A simple Google search can clarify for you what they mean, do and how they can affect your health.

Once you know the science behind it, you don't need videos to tell you what you should eat or not ?

You should though check your cholesterol levels once a year, especially cause it seems to get worse with age ?

A simple Google search will give you a simple answer. Casi, when you have time (your on OFC at noon so I assume you have time :) ), take a minute to look up Dave Feldman or Dr. Nadir Ali and see what they have to say about cholesterol and then cross-reference what they are saying. It's always worth doing more research especially if you have high cholesterol and see it as a bad thing, it might help you control/understand it.

This is a fishing forum, I don't want to spend too much time talking about nutrition here. I just hope that everyone who eats a plant based burger gets awful farts and stomach pains and learns a lesson. By the way, smelt and mackerel have more cholesterol than beef per 100 g serving, so don't eat them because your blood will halt to a stop :D 

https://food-nutrition.canada.ca/cnf-fce/report-rapport.do

https://food-nutrition.canada.ca/cnf-fce/report-rapport.do

I love plant based meat alternatives, I won't eat them but I figure they will lower the demand for meat and I  can afford even better steaks ? with celery @ $6.00/ea, leeks $5.99/3, asparagus $5.99/A small bunch, I can't justify buying veggies anymore.   

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 4:21 PM, dave524 said:

Start eating more pork, if you watch you can get those whole cryovac packaged pork loins for $1.48 a pound, beef anymore , except for burger is out of this pensioners snack bracket.

theres a couple of suspect items that i saw here, the double stuffed pork chop?  how do you cook that and flip it with out the stuffing falling out?, the stuffed pork chops should have the pocket cut on the other side, not through the fat layer.  i didn't see any butterfly chops, and those country styles are simply half a rib end pork chop.  another use for the rib end, use it to make a pulled pork.

as for misfishs question, i disagree with this whole meatless concept, it is purely a money grab as someone else stated.  i read somewhere that these burgers are very similar to dog food ? not sure how accurate this is.  im no longer in the meat business so im a little out of touch with these things

23 minutes ago, FloatnFly said:

theres a couple of suspect items that i saw here, the double stuffed pork chop?  how do you cook that and flip it with out the stuffing falling out?, the stuffed pork chops should have the pocket cut on the other side, not through the fat layer.  i didn't see any butterfly chops, and those country styles are simply half a rib end pork chop.  another use for the rib end, use it to make a pulled pork.

as for misfishs question, i disagree with this whole meatless concept, it is purely a money grab as someone else stated.  i read somewhere that these burgers are very similar to dog food ? not sure how accurate this is.  im no longer in the meat business so im a little out of touch with these things

Yeah , I pretty much cut the prime chops off and everything else goes in the Instapot for pulled pork samaches.

Call me old fashioned. My burgers contain nothing but ground beef. No egg, bread crumbs, garlic or Worchester. Worchester goes on the burger not in it. And medium ground beef tastes much better than lean or extra lean. They don't fall apart either, I have a secret so they don't. We eat burgers maybe twice a month though. Beef isn't in the budget any longer.  This pensioner too has a freezer full of pork loin at $1.99 a pound. Everything from pulled pork to schnitzels. Had a pork roast tonight actually with my homemade pasta. Last night was Portuguese beefana, thin sliced pork leg in pepper sauce in Portuguese buns. Beef smeef.

But I have to tell ya, if I could only eat veggies if they could taste as good as the ones Mom used to put away in the fall I could handle it. Some of her eggplant tasted like beef. I could never even come close if I tried. 

We haven't tried these veggie burgers, I don't plan on it either. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 1 month later...