Plant base foods? NF

misfish

15 hours ago, misfish said:

What is all the hype about this ? I am seeing A&W pushing it , Timmies and now grocery stores. My question is to the ones that are in the know.  Is this a health thing, or a P3TA pushing group to save the animals ?

Sausage made from plant to taste like sausage ? Whats next ? Plant base venison?

I haveyet to try any of the products.

It’s a culmination of things. Three main things driving it are Environment, Ethics and health. And I guess maybe religion may be a factor in there somewhere. (Buddhist, Hindi, Muslim and other asian and middle eastern practices) 

Environmentally, It (reportedly) takes as much energy to create a cheeseburger (fast food) as it does to drive an average car for 6 hours. I’ve heard that it takes 7 acres to raise a steer but only 1/2 acre to sustain the life of a vegetarian. I don’t know if these are hard facts or embellished stats to support the vegan cause or not.

I’m not a vegetarian or vegan (my diet is about as bad as it gets) but I am starting to pay attention and try new things. I’ll always eat meat and fish But Einstein’s famous quote has me pondering, especially as the environment seems to struggle;  "Nothing will benefit health or increase chances of survival on earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." 

As for meatless sausage or burgers, they aren’t great but they aren’t bad. The Licks brand burgers are actually pretty good. Mushroom gravy is also surprisingly good. I didn’t expect that one

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

13 hours ago, Fisherman said:

And there's no way you're making gravy out of veggies.

I am not a vegan and never will be,  but if you have not tried mushroom gravy you haven't lived yet. And the best thing about it is if you just feel like gravy on some mashed potatoes you don't have to cook a whole  beef roast or a chicken or turkey to get a good gravy to pour on things.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, captpierre said:

Trying to replace sandwich meat with egg salad, canned salmon etc.

My lunches these days are egg salad and pink salmon. I make a pasta salad once a week and a veggie one. Salads are full of pickles,onion,olives and goat feta. I use to be a full blown salami sandwich guy, but it was getting me heart burn. Probly a sign to get off it.

I'm not going vegetarian or vegan,but they do have some great recipes.

Thanks for all the comments. It has open my eyes.

I love my veggies. Lord knows  we grow a mountain every year at the farm.  Matless burgers and sausage,etc...  are nothing more than a chemical cesspool.  Historically, every overprocessed/ chemically manipulated food product has bee proven to be bad for your health. Or have we all forgotten the evils of MSG, hydrogenation, cyclamates, etc.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sinker said:

I wouldn't eat that stuff. There's no way that crap is going in this body. If it wasn't killed, its not meat. Check my freezer, its mostly stuff I've killed myself. The best food  always is. 

S. 

Gf tried one the other day, she felt like garbage, went home and threw it up , lol!!  

Gimme some venison that's only seen corn, clover and a handful of other things..  

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Hack_Fisherman said:

It’s a culmination of things. Three main things driving it are Environment, Ethics and health. And I guess maybe religion may be a factor in there somewhere. (Buddhist, Hindi, Muslim and other asian and middle eastern practices) 

Environmentally, It (reportedly) takes as much energy to create a cheeseburger (fast food) as it does to drive an average car for 6 hours. I’ve heard that it takes 7 acres to raise a steer but only 1/2 acre to sustain the life of a vegetarian. I don’t know if these are hard facts or embellished stats to support the vegan cause or not.

I’m not a vegetarian or vegan (my diet is about as bad as it gets) but I am starting to pay attention and try new things. I’ll always eat meat and fish But Einstein’s famous quote has me pondering, especially as the environment seems to struggle;  "Nothing will benefit health or increase chances of survival on earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." 

As for meatless sausage or burgers, they aren’t great but they aren’t bad. The Licks brand burgers are actually pretty good. Mushroom gravy is also surprisingly good. I didn’t expect that one

Well said !

We need to start making better choices for the environment. If eating a little less meat and being more conscious about single use plastics such as water bottles, plastic bags, straws ect..... our future generations will be thankful for our choices. A tough sell as meat tastes sooooooo good. A little bit at a time will go a long way.

BTW..... Im not a vegetarian !

in some countries having less pasture land may be helpful but in canada it would only hurt us

take less acreage for veggies  so need less farmers and farm land to many people lose the jobs and homes and a lot of unused land..does that really help

by that thinking if we made everyone live in  high rise apartments and tear down every single family home, look at what they could save

maybe outlaw all boats on the water..yeah that will help, but better outlaw all guns too cause someone is going to get shot

in canada going veggie wont help and wont make you live longer, it will just seem longer...lol

• Like 3

I was in the States and my BIL wanted to pick up some Beyond Meat burgers (vegetarian wife, my sister).  They are lot cheaper in the stores there so I picked up a couple packs to try.  They are full of saturated fat and sodium.  No cholesterol but lots of fat.  I doubt a nutritionist would say they are any better for you than a real burger.  A chicken or turkey burger would probably be a much better choice. Here is the nutrition label:

image1 (002).jpeg

Edited by Canuck

On 7/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, misfish said:

This seems to me another word for, veggie burgers.veggie sausage Pattie.

My burgers are home made, Beef egg and onion, I no longer add bread crumbs to give that filler/ bine. So good. I am even thinking to put a few patties in the smoker, before putting on the grill. I,ll bet they turn out better then those advert hickory zhers burgers. LOL

I smoke burgers all the time on my pellet smoker. 1hr on 170 then finish off on the grill, no shrinkage and soooo good.

to answer the OP's question, what the heck is with the sudden push?

my understanding is that a lot of it has to do with the vast market of Hindu practicing people that reside in Ontario. Their population far exceeds that of vegetarians. Its a significant market that has not been capitalized on. 

As mentioned in this thread, the beyond meat plant based products are not "healthy" they are full of sodium and other oily fats. The plant based burgers are actually made to be "juicy" and flavourful. They are full of salt and oil. Hence your market is not people that eat grass and lentils for a living. You are marketing to people that simply cant eat beef for religious or other reasons.

Im honestly curious and will probably try out an A&W burger at some point just to try it. Ill probably then go right back and buy a teen burger lol.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

to answer the OP's question, what the heck is with the sudden push?

my understanding is that a lot of it has to do with the vast market of Hindu practicing people that reside in Ontario. Their population far exceeds that of vegetarians. Its a significant market that has not been capitalized on. 

As mentioned in this thread, the beyond meat plant based products are not "healthy" they are full of sodium and other oily fats. The plant based burgers are actually made to be "juicy" and flavourful. They are full of salt and oil. Hence your market is not people that eat grass and lentils for a living. You are marketing to people that simply cant eat beef for religious or other reasons.

Im honestly curious and will probably try out an A&W burger at some point just to try it. Ill probably then go right back and buy a teen burger lol.

Vegetarians are also buying them (probably looking for something that tastes good!).  I have tried the A&W burgers as well as the Beyond Meat ones on a home BBQ.  They are pretty good, but no where near as good as a real home made beef burger.  Sort of like the Licks veg burgers that were popular when Licks chain was a thing.  They tasted pretty good, but not as good as the real burgers at Licks.  I would like to think its just a fad that will come and go because people will catch on about how high fat and sodium they are.   

On 7/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, msp said:

We need to start making better choices for the environment. If eating a little less meat and being more conscious about single use plastics such as water bottles, plastic bags, straws ect..... our future generations will be thankful for our choices.

The idea that animal ag is a major contributor to GHG emissions (many people still believe the ridiculous claim of 51% worldwide) comes from retracted reports from the FAO that were shown in propaganda movies (what the health/cowspiracy - both by the same 'activist' director Kip Anderson) where they compare animal energy inputs (moment its born to the moment it goes in your mouth) only to the tailpipe emissions of the energy industry and transportation. Frank Mitlohner showed how these studies the comparisons were wrong; the studies were since amended to much lower numbers, but the cat was out of the bag... and the movies stayed the same. Frank Mitloehener did a great job at pointing out the problems in the reports, leading to a re-calculation. http://theconversation.com/yes-eating-meat-affects-the-environment-but-cows-are-not-killing-the-climate-94968

They also count animal water as consumptive only, ignoring that they piss out or transpire the water, thus; recycling it (especially on pasture) back to nature, so they'll say 'cows use xx gallons of water. Cows don't 'use' water, they consume it then excrete it. Methane from cows is a flow-through gas, meaning that it is not accumulative (unlike fossil fuel based methane), but rather part of a cycle (like the normal carbon cycle in nature - think trees growing, rotting, turning to CO2 then taking in CO2 to produce cellulose based trees again). 

Cows replaced large ruminants of the past, the ones that were market hunted to near extinction in the US/Canada. The US/Canada by far are the worlds most efficient producers of food cattle (Aussie/NZ do good too). Feed lots are not the best thing if you care about animals more than people; they are also quite unsightly, but they sure are efficient.

Cows are awesome. Let's continue to improve the process, but cows themselves are not a 'problem'. If we start eating foods that are 1/2 as nutrient dense and bio-available (plants), then we will need twice as much food, most of it trucked in from far away, and keep in mind that the majority of food waste comes from plant foods. Also, to wind down this too-long post, keep in mind that ruminant animals largely thrive on feed that is not suitable for humans. We generally do not compete for resources. They can grow in the forest or on grass land, in semi-arid conditions, and fertilize the soil. Humans can't eat trees or grass and plants need animal fertilizers (or mined chemical fertilizers) to grow. 

• Like 4

I love vegetables, most all vegetables with very few exceptions. They generally fill two thirds of my plate and I want them to look just like and taste just like the way they were grown. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 2

Follow the money. Simple really. Hindu and other non-meat eating cultures are growing. Chain restaurants are after money. No more to it than that unless gov't edicts say they must do so-and-so. Gov't hasn't. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ market/profit motivated. Period. 

3 hours ago, fish_fishburn said:

I really wish  more people would stop eating all meat. Then the prices will go down and more for me.

Start eating more pork, if you watch you can get those whole cryovac packaged pork loins for $1.48 a pound, beef anymore , except for burger is out of this pensioners snack bracket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

plant based food aren't going to drive down the price of beef. look to the chinese market to take care of that. if they throttle back on just American (and Canadian) pork for example, this will force those producers to drop their prices to move product. this in turn will force producers of chicken and beef to lower their prices to compete. if this happens, it's going to be a hellacious winter for those industries with a downward spiral. plant based is not going to touch beef in the short term.

Edited by woodenboater