Big changes on the bow mounted trolling motor front!

David Chong

I don't understand the appeal for handheld remote control bowmounts. I find them a total pain in the ass myself. I want my hands to be free, not playing around with a remote.  Lots of options = Lots of problems. I will stick with what I have until it breaks down.  Simple and effective! 

S. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sinker said:

I don't understand the appeal for handheld remote control bowmounts. I find them a total pain in the ass myself. I want my hands to be free, not playing around with a remote.  Lots of options = Lots of problems. I will stick with what I have until it breaks down.  Simple and effective! 

S. 

As far as I'm concerned, they're useful for setting spot lock and for navigating while manning riggers etc. Otherwise I'll take a foot pedal.

Who can afford these things??? Way too expensive and full of electronics that breakdown.  I grew up in an era where if you spent the money the item would last a long time.  It's just not that way anymore. These things are built to break down, that's why you can't buy parts for older electric motors. They want you buying new.

That's it for my negative rant.....

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words Misfish and others. Much appreciated! I am just so disapointed with them for their total lack of concern for a product failing so prematurely! 

I could not find many references to failures on several message boards, other than the foot pedal eating batteries. I hope these two failures are the exception, not the norm. Glad to hear yours has been flawless Art.

I bought a new remote this week, but yes it would have been nice if I could have sent it in to check out or offered a discounted replacement?

I always preferred cable drive, but my Wife was actually the one who convinced me to get with the times and try something new with the newer technologies!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rattletrap2 said:

I always preferred cable drive, but my Wife was actually the one who convinced me to get with the times and try something new with the newer technologies!

This is why I stayed with manual locks and hand rolled down windows on my truck Mr.B. And have my oars on stand by if the electric motor or battery go teats up on my toon.. :good:

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2019 at 8:33 AM, AKRISONER said:

Not sure why motorguide thinks that having as many strange angles as possible on their unit is appealing?

dave is it true that the new Garmin remote floats...aka no need for a tether anymore?

Yes, confirmed that the Garmin remote does float, but I’d wear a lanyard anyway!???

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 9:27 AM, Sinker said:

S. 

I fish a Ranger bass boat  and I have 2 hand held controllers and a foot one on the XI5. I use the hand one almost all of the time, with spot lock and heading lock you need to adjust it very little. I moved away from the foot controller because as I fish keeping all of my weight on the leg that was not on the controller made it hurt after a day of fishing. The second controller goes to the person fishing the back of the boat so he can control the boat when I am catching fish or distracted .  

Art

Picking which remote I use really depends on what I'm fishing for.   I've got the first gen I-Pilot Link remote (big LCD screen), the micro remote (small pocket sized remote) and the foot pedal for the Terrova.   If I'm fishing fast, casting the shore line or weed edges, it's the foot pedal.   If I'm moving from spot to spot vertical jigging or casting to specific stuff it's the micro remote.  If I'm veritcal fishing lakers or bass in the fall and moving in between way points, it's the full size Link remote.   I've got a use for each of them.

13 hours ago, BillM said:

Picking which remote I use really depends on what I'm fishing for.   I've got the first gen I-Pilot Link remote (big LCD screen), the micro remote (small pocket sized remote) and the foot pedal for the Terrova.   If I'm fishing fast, casting the shore line or weed edges, it's the foot pedal.   If I'm moving from spot to spot vertical jigging or casting to specific stuff it's the micro remote.  If I'm veritcal fishing lakers or bass in the fall and moving in between way points, it's the full size Link remote.   I've got a use for each of them.

I run a tiller, so I like everything at the back of the boat with me. Whether I'm casting, jigging, or trolling, that foot pedal is right there and my hands are free all the time. I watch buddies with the remote and they are always screwing around with it, even while reeling in fish. Just doesn't suit my style of fishing I guess. 

S. 

On 7/11/2019 at 8:33 AM, AKRISONER said:

Not sure why motorguide thinks that having as many strange angles as possible on their unit is appealing?

dave is it true that the new Garmin remote floats...aka no need for a tether anymore?

F-117 Nighthawk I think is what they were going for. In other words "stealth". But it is very silly looking and has zero function.

On 7/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, jimmer said:

Who can afford these things??? Way too expensive and full of electronics that breakdown.  I grew up in an era where if you spent the money the item would last a long time.  It's just not that way anymore. These things are built to break down, that's why you can't buy parts for older electric motors. They want you buying new.

That's it for my negative rant.....

Your comment is well noted and accurate. As far as who can afford these things?? That's easy, if I was fishing competitively, I'd have one regardless of the cost. Even at $4000, if that unit helps put an angler in the money it can pay for itself in only one weekend. As for Joe Average, don't overspend on anything, electronics included.