Big changes on the bow mounted trolling motor front!

David Chong

Heading over to the on the water demos at iCast 2019 down here in Orlando FL. One of the biggest buzzes down here is about how the bow mounted trolling motor scene is going to change drastically. MotorGuide, Lowrance and Garmin are all introducing competitors to the current bow-mounted trolling motor king, the Minn Kota Ultrex! Super excited to see how the new Garmin Force trolling motor is going to work with my Garmin EchoMap Ultra units! Check it out on the YouTube video: 

And on a lighter note watch the legendary Bill Dances and the "Sons of Fishes":  

Dave that TM literally looks like everything that I thought a trolling motor in 2019 should be. Very very impressive. 

To be honest, I really havent heard anything but bad things about the Ultrex. Broken stearing cables, shafts breaking just weird stuff. Plus lets get serious, Humminbird/Minkotta has completely missed the bus with their lack of wireless tech. Its 2019, getting people to hardwire ethernet cables into their boat is ridiculous. 

I am sure some people may still prefer a wired pedal, but getting your Sonar GPS Unit to talk to your trolling motor wirelessly, when it already speaks to its remote wirelessly should be pretty much a given?

Brushless motors basically means that these Trolling Motors will never die, or at least 30 years from now you are going to probably want an upgrade anyways.

Im a humminbird guy myself, and it will be a long while until I can afford an ultrex. But Minkotta is going to have a hard time selling trolling motors when Garmin how now brought trolling motors out of the early 2000's and up to 2020. 

Time will now tell if the units can be considered reliable and cross talk between other boats nearby etc doest become an issue. This looks very very impressive and im envious of the fact that it sounds like you will be fishing one of these very soon.

I was able to test drive the new Lowrance Ghost today and it was very impressive! Quiet, powerful, responsive and packed filled of features! Of course it is designed to be integrated with Lowrance electronics but you can program keys to control your Power Pole or mark waypoints etc. I will report more when I see the Garmin unit!

11CF6FD8-BD34-4B56-AB8E-EF881A9E324C.jpeg

5A001EDD-3E72-4498-B11A-8E9ABFE8E63B.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Terry said:

Wow I wanted one till I saw the price

i may need to rethink but it looks great

Force™ Trolling Motor

50” Freshwater Trolling Motor

PART NUMBER 010-02024-00

$4,129.99 CAD

Oh, there's was not a chance that any of them are going to be inexpensive! LOL

26 minutes ago, Terry said:

because stern mount  ones more often then not are on budget minded 12 to 14 ft tinnies and toons

can you see one of them 4100 bucks on you toon..lol  maybe on mine thou  lol

They need to put their minds together and work on cheaper ones,that ALL anglers can use.  They do not need to be that expensive. ( just like the lure thread ) WHY ? Oh look at me and my high tech unit. LOL  Making a spot lock stern trolling motor design cannot be that hard. Hell,I see it can be done. 

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, misfish said:

They need to put their minds together and work on cheaper ones,that ALL anglers can use.  They do not need to be that expensive. ( just like the lure thread ) WHY ? Oh look at me and my high tech unit. LOL  Making a spot lock stern trolling motor design cannot be that hard. Hell,I see it can be done. 

You can get spotlock on a bow mount relatively cheap now. Definitely way way under $2000 for a basic set up.

Also, lol at the continued comments about “who cares, I fish out of a tinner and still catch fish”

automobiles still went from point A to B back in 1920 as well. You must drive a model T Ford too then.

Or if we’re talking current era you must drive a base model Kia 2 door.

this new tech is all wayyy to rich for me, but maybe 15 years from now it will look good on the front of my boat. Exciting stuff, love when game changing tech arrives on the market, gives you a glimpse into the future.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Haha 1

Fishing is a pay to play hobby for most. Good thing is, you get go as deep down the rabbit hole as you like...or can afford. Guys drops thousands per year on other hobbies as well such as racing, flying, hunting, etc.. It just comes down to the individual. One man's $400 is another man's $4000. Personally, I want one; key word being want...not need. But I have all kinds of fishing related equipment I don't need

• Like 1

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wanted to let you all know about the lousy customer service I got from Motorguide this week!

When I bought my new boat in 2017, I decided to go with the Motorguide Xi5 pinpoint GPS model. Mine is 55 pound thrust and 12 volt. I also suggested to my Buddy that he go with this motor for his new boat that year. He went with the 80 pound model on 24 volts for a larger boat.

Well, I was in a bad car accident in May of that year and hardly used my boat at all. I got out with it a few times last year and on my second outing this past Sunday, my handheld remote just quit working. I replaced the batteries, but still would not do any steering. Just turned on the prop, but that was it. My Buddy had his quit back in May and had to replace the remote.

I called Motorguide customer service on Monday and the guys only response was "your warranty expired in February, so go to any dealer and buy a new remote!" I explained my situation and told him about it happening to my Buddy's remote as well and that I only had 14.8 hours on the main motor. Probably 30 to 40 hours on the Trolling motor if that? He could care less, no attempt to try anything, just "go buy a new remote!" This piece of crap remote is almost $200!!! I told him my foot pedal eats batteries and will only last one outing if I don't remove the batteries after each use. Apparently when you turn them off, they still draw on the batteries. He said some guys had installed a modification to the wiring harness to correct this problem. I asked if this is something Motorguide would assist with since they recognized an issue? He said"not for you, yours is out of warranty by 5 1/2 months!"

Pretty sad when you spend $2,000+ for a trolling motor and this is the care and support they give! I would be very leery of investing $4,100 for one like Dave posted!!!

Our season for some of us is so short up here as it is. Who needs this aggravation? I always had Minn Kota on my other boats and if I ever buy another, it will definitely not be Motorguide! I have heard that Minn kota has some issues too, but from what I hear and experienced with my past motors, they at least try to stand behind their products.

I like the look of the Lowrance Ghost, no 60" shaft though at release. My Ultrex will have to do for now. But it will be great to finally have a motor (not motorguide) that pairs with my Lowrance finders. 

• Like 1

Frustrating that your remote died. Maybe they could have offered you a replacement at a discount price?? Personally, I don't consider it bad customer service to not offer full warranty privileges outside warranty periods. I consider it fantastic service when they do but it should not be expected.

• Like 2

I hate to say this but for the few stories that are honestly the truth on minimal usage due to an injury such as yours.   they get 10 that are totally bull trying to beat the system. I feel for you and wish that it is different but you kind of have to appreciate why they can't warranty it. I have an XI5 on my boat and it has been flawless. 

Art

• Like 1

For those that" DO NOT KNOW, Mr B," he is not looking for a free replacement. Not that kind of guy . Known him for many years and he is a stand up tell you the way it is guy. I will stand by him and just say, why not go half way or even 1/3 the way Motorguide  ? Customer service ++

Art,

I get the "10 that are totally bull trying to beat the system " That is the real sad part of the whole deal. An honest customer looking for a half way deal, and those looking for a freebee. Those that are honest, get railed by the ones that put the bull.

Mr.B, I would stay on them and try to get a mutual deal with them.  This is not a $20 lure were talking about.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wanted to let you all know about the lousy customer service I got from Motorguide this week!

When I bought my new boat in 2017, I decided to go with the Motorguide Xi5 pinpoint GPS model. Mine is 55 pound thrust and 12 volt. I also suggested to my Buddy that he go with this motor for his new boat that year. He went with the 80 pound model on 24 volts for a larger boat.

Well, I was in a bad car accident in May of that year and hardly used my boat at all. I got out with it a few times last year and on my second outing this past Sunday, my handheld remote just quit working. I replaced the batteries, but still would not do any steering. Just turned on the prop, but that was it. My Buddy had his quit back in May and had to replace the remote.

I called Motorguide customer service on Monday and the guys only response was "your warranty expired in February, so go to any dealer and buy a new remote!" I explained my situation and told him about it happening to my Buddy's remote as well and that I only had 14.8 hours on the main motor. Probably 30 to 40 hours on the Trolling motor if that? He could care less, no attempt to try anything, just "go buy a new remote!" This piece of crap remote is almost $200!!! I told him my foot pedal eats batteries and will only last one outing if I don't remove the batteries after each use. Apparently when you turn them off, they still draw on the batteries. He said some guys had installed a modification to the wiring harness to correct this problem. I asked if this is something Motorguide would assist with since they recognized an issue? He said"not for you, yours is out of warranty by 5 1/2 months!"

Pretty sad when you spend $2,000+ for a trolling motor and this is the care and support they give! I would be very leery of investing $4,100 for one like Dave posted!!!

Our season for some of us is so short up here as it is. Who needs this aggravation? I always had Minn Kota on my other boats and if I ever buy another, it will definitely not be Motorguide! I have heard that Minn kota has some issues too, but from what I hear and experienced with my past motors, they at least try to stand behind their products.

Sad to hear about your issues with your MotorGuide! Every company is different when it comes to dealing with just out of warranty products, I would have like to have seen them offer you something.

Well, here are the other combatants in the "Trolling Motor Wars" and the differences:

Garmin Force: Much sleeker in appearance - Wireless Foot Pedal which has a tension adjustment that makes it feel like a cable drive trolling motor - Wireless integration with Garmin electronics - Available in 50" & 57" models - Cool remote control included, you can direct the trolling motor just by pointing to where you want it to go! - Brushless motor extremely quiet and efficient - lots more

MotorGuide (Not really sure of their name) : Sadly very unappealing in appearance and I couldn't talk to anybody about it's features

BTW, the Garmin Force trolling motor did win the Best Boating Accessory category in the NEW Product Showcase!

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

12 hours ago, misfish said:

For those that" DO NOT KNOW, Mr B," he is not looking for a free replacement. Not that kind of guy . Known him for many years and he is a stand up tell you the way it is guy. I will stand by him and just say, why not go half way or even 1/3 the way Motorguide  ? Customer service ++

Art,

I get the "10 that are totally bull trying to beat the system " That is the real sad part of the whole deal. An honest customer looking for a half way deal, and those looking for a freebee. Those that are honest, get railed by the ones that put the bull.

Mr.B, I would stay on them and try to get a mutual deal with them.  This is not a $20 lure were talking about.

I am all for Mr.B  getting a replacement because it IS a special issue with his lack of use on the products. I was saying that the many others who abuse warranty issues by lying to get a replacement have ruined it for those that are honest and really do have a defective product. I hate that it happens and I hope that with a few more conversations they will be able to get a resolution that makes  them happy. 

Art