video:Drunk boater rams another boat on Lake St. Clair

2 minutes ago, David Chong said:

Saw that on FB! Totally insane, not sure what happened prior but there is no excuse for that madness!

I agree with there's no excuse; but I'd also would like to know what the "innocent" boater did? When I had my 16' tinny, I cannot count the number of times that I've been cut off, all but capsized or damn near run over; by these innocent cabin cruiser drivers/owners. Something set that drunk off; but again he shouldn't have done what he did.

Dan

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, DanD said:

I agree with there's no excuse; but I'd also would like to know what the "innocent" boater did? When I had my 16' tinny, I cannot count the number of times that I've been cut off, all but capsized or damn near run over; by these innocent cabin cruiser drivers/owners. Something set that drunk off; but again he shouldn't have done what he did.

Dan

I was boating back downriver under the fort Erie peace bridge when some clown in a cabin cruiser was coming up river. Anyone who has gone through this current knows that it is a bit hairy under the peace bridge. The operator opened her up just before we met and he threw a 4 foot wave at my boat. Boy was I pissed. Some of these cruiser operators think that they own the right of way because of their size. I am not defending the guy in the smaller boat at all. He should have been charged so it was the correct outcome. What he should have done besides not being drunk was to call the police on the cruiser operator if he did something dangerous to the smaller boat.

I am sure that we have all seen this one. The guy driving the cruiser saw this boat from a distance away yet still managed to run them over.

• Like 2

Having been in one of those 16 foot tinnies while a cruiser drives by, it doesn't take much to swamp them. I would assume that is what happened and it just set the guy off. Definitely should have been charged but it would have been great to hear his side of the story.

• Like 1

yup

no excuse but i too saw a cabin cruiser  flip 2 small boats because he was running full out making a 6ft wave in a narrow passage

i could have ran to the big boat to try to get him to stop but i went over to the flipped boats to get the people out of the water

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

What an imbecile. Clearly flunked basic physics somewhere. He could have easily found himself in the water with his boat heading off by itself in another direction. Depending on the people who you just rammed to fish you out and save you is not a good fall back plan. That might not be forthcoming. They could have easily just motored off and pretended they didn't see you.

• Like 1

I just turn the bow of the toon to the waves and say,thank you for the ride. That guy was out of his mind for what he did. Something really pissed him off.  It could of turned out much worse for him though.  Jam that tinny on the cruiser ,flipped out of his own boat and into the props.  Would the boaters turned the video off then  and keep going like nothing happen ?

More to the story I am sure is to come.

No excuses like everyone else said, but he must have been pissed off to take it to this level. I can tell you there have been a few times I dreamed of doing something like this or tossing a large muskie lure in a certain direction.

I was heading from Canal Lake up towards the Kirkfield lift locks and a big cruiser was coming in my direction. I was in my 20 foot pontoon boat. He was going too fast in the and his wave swamped me. The wave came right over the front of my pontoon boat all the way up to the back past the driver's seat. I find the worst ones that go through the trent are the ones that have the boat safety course flag on their boats.

On 7/9/2019 at 7:11 AM, DanD said:

I agree with there's no excuse; but I'd also would like to know what the "innocent" boater did? When I had my 16' tinny, I cannot count the number of times that I've been cut off, all but capsized or damn near run over; by these innocent cabin cruiser drivers/owners. 

Too many times for me, and the best part is they wave as they go by! 

Edited by Musky Plug