Jump to content

Sketty55

Fishing scale recommendations

Recommended Posts

Any recommendations for a new scale? I have a basic South bend one in my bag with a tape measure. I'm thinking about upgrading it to a digital one but not sure which one to go with. I see the cheap Dr Meter one's on Amazon right up to the Rapala Touchless tournament scale (which is probably overkill for me). Appreciate any recommendations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had one of these for like thirty years, they come in several different sizes depending on the species you target, fishing salmon derbies it was always bang on with the official scales.

https://www.midwiferysupplies.ca/products/chatillon-scale?variant=30022743748

 

edit : i didn't get it from that place, it was just the first google came up with 🤣

Edit: mine is 0 to 30 lbs or 15 Kg. and I didn't pay anywhere near that, got it when some one thought an Orvis Shop could make it in Stoney Creek and got it half price when they went out of business. Strange a birth shop mentions it is IGFA certifiable 

 

Edited by dave524
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had 2 of the digital ones, one for big salmon and a smaller one, both still working well, change the 9v battery every couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an old Rapala 50# rated digital scale that still works great and is still on the original battery.

We did scale testing at the lodge one year and it was accurate to 70#s against a certified Chatillion scale.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I have an old Rapala 50# rated digital scale that still works great and is still on the original battery.

We did scale testing at the lodge one year and it was accurate to 70#s against a certified Chatillion scale.

 

Any idea how the new rapala ones are? Seems like a decent deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, boombap said:

Any idea how the new rapala ones are? Seems like a decent deal

Sorry, no I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, boombap said:

Any idea how the new rapala ones are? Seems like a decent deal

Which one? They have a few digital scales including the tournament series touchless scale. It's pretty pricey...around $80. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a digital rapala scale that I think goes to 50lbs. I paid $60 for it last year. Its accurate as far as weighing things that weigh 10lbs, and weightlifting discs.....I'm happy with it anyways. 

 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sinker said:

I have a digital rapala scale that I think goes to 50lbs. I paid $60 for it last year. Its accurate as far as weighing things that weigh 10lbs, and weightlifting discs.....I'm happy with it anyways. 

 

S. 

Think that’s the one I saw.. it has a clamp yeah? Seems ok. The ‘tournament’ one mentioned above seems like a gimmick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MIne came with a hook, but I use a clamp on it.....I don't actually use it for fish much. I used it to weigh my last 2 turkeys tho....lol. 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sinker said:

I used it to weigh my last 2 turkeys tho....lol. 

How much does a turkey weigh ? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m using the rapala digital tournament scale with the culling bins, I swapped the “clamp” that comes with it for an actual fish lip gripper because I found my bass we’re flying off of they flailed, haven’t had an issue since re:that

 

now my only issue is that for some reason my batteries like to periodically slip out of place. They are still in, but are ever so slightly out of place resulting in my scale not working. It’s actually a bit of a PITA when I’m trying to tag and cull in a tournament and my scale randomly turns off. I’m considering figuring out a way to tape the batteries in so that they can’t move as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I’m using the rapala digital tournament scale with the culling bins, I swapped the “clamp” that comes with it for an actual fish lip gripper because I found my bass we’re flying off of they flailed, haven’t had an issue since re:that

 

now my only issue is that for some reason my batteries like to periodically slip out of place. They are still in, but are ever so slightly out of place resulting in my scale not working. It’s actually a bit of a PITA when I’m trying to tag and cull in a tournament and my scale randomly turns off. I’m considering figuring out a way to tape the batteries in so that they can’t move as much.

Contact Rapala, they should replace it. They have great customer service. 

 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, misfish said:

How much does a turkey weigh ? LOL

19.5 and 20.5 lbs if I remember right. Two 2 year old toms this year. 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember the last time I ever weighed a fish.  Measurements only for big ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time any fish I catch gets weighed is by a weigh master in a tournament. Not really sure why guys take time to weigh a fish before releasing it. To each their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

The only time any fish I catch gets weighed is by a weigh master in a tournament. Not really sure why guys take time to weigh a fish before releasing it. To each their own. 

I guess for the same reason guys take a pic before releasing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weighed a lot of fish with that old brass Chantillion during the 20 years I fished derbies on Lake Ontario, always kept track of the cutoffs for the money and weighed and released anything that didn't place, saved killing fish that didn't quite make the cut.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 9:15 AM, Sinker said:

Contact Rapala, they should replace it. They have great customer service. 

 

S. 

really eh? Im definitely going to do that! THanks for the advice, I guess I should have assumed that they might, I have had incredible service with Humminbird/minkotta (Johnson outdoors) so Im not too surprised to hear that Rapala is great as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brecknell scales that Major League Fishing uses are the best for accuracy but they're not waterproof and are fairly expensive. The Rapala seems pretty decent and will do the job. Chantillions are great but are not cheap either! Accu-Cull also has a pretty good digital scale!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...