Fishing scale recommendations

Sketty55

Any recommendations for a new scale? I have a basic South bend one in my bag with a tape measure. I'm thinking about upgrading it to a digital one but not sure which one to go with. I see the cheap Dr Meter one's on Amazon right up to the Rapala Touchless tournament scale (which is probably overkill for me). Appreciate any recommendations. 

I've had one of these for like thirty years, they come in several different sizes depending on the species you target, fishing salmon derbies it was always bang on with the official scales.

https://www.midwiferysupplies.ca/products/chatillon-scale?variant=30022743748

edit : i didn't get it from that place, it was just the first google came up with ?

Edit: mine is 0 to 30 lbs or 15 Kg. and I didn't pay anywhere near that, got it when some one thought an Orvis Shop could make it in Stoney Creek and got it half price when they went out of business. Strange a birth shop mentions it is IGFA certifiable 

Edited by dave524
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I have an old Rapala 50# rated digital scale that still works great and is still on the original battery.

We did scale testing at the lodge one year and it was accurate to 70#s against a certified Chatillion scale.

Any idea how the new rapala ones are? Seems like a decent deal

19 hours ago, boombap said:

Any idea how the new rapala ones are? Seems like a decent deal

Which one? They have a few digital scales including the tournament series touchless scale. It's pretty pricey...around $80. 

I have a digital rapala scale that I think goes to 50lbs. I paid $60 for it last year. Its accurate as far as weighing things that weigh 10lbs, and weightlifting discs.....I'm happy with it anyways. 

S. 

Just now, Sinker said:

I have a digital rapala scale that I think goes to 50lbs. I paid $60 for it last year. Its accurate as far as weighing things that weigh 10lbs, and weightlifting discs.....I'm happy with it anyways. 

S. 

Think that’s the one I saw.. it has a clamp yeah? Seems ok. The ‘tournament’ one mentioned above seems like a gimmick

I’m using the rapala digital tournament scale with the culling bins, I swapped the “clamp” that comes with it for an actual fish lip gripper because I found my bass we’re flying off of they flailed, haven’t had an issue since re:that

now my only issue is that for some reason my batteries like to periodically slip out of place. They are still in, but are ever so slightly out of place resulting in my scale not working. It’s actually a bit of a PITA when I’m trying to tag and cull in a tournament and my scale randomly turns off. I’m considering figuring out a way to tape the batteries in so that they can’t move as much.

10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I’m using the rapala digital tournament scale with the culling bins, I swapped the “clamp” that comes with it for an actual fish lip gripper because I found my bass we’re flying off of they flailed, haven’t had an issue since re:that

now my only issue is that for some reason my batteries like to periodically slip out of place. They are still in, but are ever so slightly out of place resulting in my scale not working. It’s actually a bit of a PITA when I’m trying to tag and cull in a tournament and my scale randomly turns off. I’m considering figuring out a way to tape the batteries in so that they can’t move as much.

Contact Rapala, they should replace it. They have great customer service. 

S. 

13 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

The only time any fish I catch gets weighed is by a weigh master in a tournament. Not really sure why guys take time to weigh a fish before releasing it. To each their own. 

I guess for the same reason guys take a pic before releasing it.

Weighed a lot of fish with that old brass Chantillion during the 20 years I fished derbies on Lake Ontario, always kept track of the cutoffs for the money and weighed and released anything that didn't place, saved killing fish that didn't quite make the cut.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:15 AM, Sinker said:

Contact Rapala, they should replace it. They have great customer service. 

S. 

really eh? Im definitely going to do that! THanks for the advice, I guess I should have assumed that they might, I have had incredible service with Humminbird/minkotta (Johnson outdoors) so Im not too surprised to hear that Rapala is great as well.

The Brecknell scales that Major League Fishing uses are the best for accuracy but they're not waterproof and are fairly expensive. The Rapala seems pretty decent and will do the job. Chantillions are great but are not cheap either! Accu-Cull also has a pretty good digital scale!