Musky Baits look terrible?

AKRISONER

33 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Doesn’t matter what you catch a musky on, they still taste lousy. 

Years ago the MNR put them in the lake dad had a cottage on in Haliburton. None of the cottagers wanted them in a bass/pickeral lake, bunch got caught and none released, actually,  while not as good as walleye on the table they were on a par with the bass on the table, bony though and smaller than the crazy minimum size limits on some waters, maybe a slot limit for eaters would make sense.

32 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Years ago the MNR put them in the lake dad had a cottage on in Haliburton. None of the cottagers wanted them in a bass/pickeral lake, bunch got caught and none released, actually,  while not as good as walleye on the table they were on a par with the bass on the table, bony though and smaller than the crazy minimum size limits on some waters, maybe a slot limit for eaters would make sense.

We’re putting the diehards into convolutions lol ?

58 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

We’re putting the diehards into convolutions lol ?

We used to have some great discussions here a few years back about keeping or releasing muskies and I don't think anyone ever won the argument LOL

9 minutes ago, lew said:

We used to have some great discussions here a few years back about keeping or releasing muskies and I don't think anyone ever won the argument LOL

I'll bet! Obviously, I'm joking about the eating part though I'm sure it happens and truthfully, that's personal preference. But they're such amazing creatures it's great to know most get to swim away. 

lolll i dont know a single person under the age of 50 that would even consider eating a musky hahaha.

not surprisingly it was that crazy polish guy Henry Waszchuk that had a musky recipe in his personal recipe book lmao.

As Taro Murata said when he found out my family and I were polish but were cool with releasing the majority of our fish  "I thought caught fish is polish steak"

I still honestly wonder what is going to happen to the fishing industry when all of the guys that grew up or lived in the 80's the era of actual fishing boats and the explosion of technique and target specific gear showed up on the market for the first time are gone.

The mentality is just so vastly different. All you have to do is look at the guys that fish walleye up near my place every fall. The older guys grew up keeping everything have somewhat learned to let a few go from time to time, while the younger crowd may take one fish if they really care to filet it. 

Then you have musky fishing. There are definitely a few younger guys that are really into it, but when you are talking about the large majority of anglers under the age of 35, most are bass fishing these days, the population of walleye anglers is falling off of a cliff.

Edited by AKRISONER

16 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

I'll bet! Obviously, I'm joking about the eating part though I'm sure it happens and truthfully, that's personal preference. But they're such amazing creatures it's great to know most get to swim away. 

I actually killed & ate the 1st musky I ever caught way back in the early 70's as that's just what folks did back then...unfortunately. I've caught & released many 100's of muskies in the decades since then but to this day I still wish I'd released it. I had it mounted and hung on the wall of my trailer for a very long time but then I gave it to a friend who owns a fishing camp up on Nippising who now has it hung in his office.

be602162-5242-49dd-bbae-a473e2406be5.jpg

007.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sinker said:

I feel there is a lot more musky fisherman now than ever. Is it just me? I see way more people fishing for them. Waaaay more. 

S. 

Ya feels like way more every year. Look at the Odyssey turn out. It's a good thing for the industry but sucks when your lakes see more pressure. Social media has had huge impact on the sport both negative and positive. 

My dad's side is from polish decent too, but never would think of eating a muskellunge. Maybe if a bear stole my food camping and I only had musky gear...

2 hours ago, lew said:

Did you notice my leather shoes with gold buckles, who wears those to go fishing anymore ? LOL

Classy Lew.  I could see you fishing with the Rat Pack back then.LOL

Do you remember the boat and motor you had then ?

22 minutes ago, misfish said:

I would take that rig today in a heart beat. Built back when ,they were built right, and with pride.

They were good boats Brian, I had a couple Starcrafts.

21 hours ago, Sinker said:

I feel there is a lot more musky fisherman now than ever. Is it just me? I see way more people fishing for them. Waaaay more. 

S. 

really? I feel like its the opposite? Ive noticed the trend is that I am seeing way more bass boats than I have ever seen.

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

cant troll...

Why not? I get the impression you are pretty closed minded to bass only. Sorry if I'm wrong, but thats the way you come across to me. I haven't fished for a bass in probably 25 years. I just don't get why so many are into it, other than money, and some of the richest people I know are broke. Think about that. 

S. 

I"ll admit that I was one of those that was sucked into the vortex of custom made musky baits. I have spend some cash on those custom baits with sweet paint jobs but they still haven't put as many musky's in my boat as the some of my older cheaper baits. Not saying they haven't caught fish however my best lures have been the believer, blades and bulldawgs. 

On the OP with musky fishing dying off with people under fifty, I disagree. When I goto the Kawarthas I've seen many young guys out there fishing musky. 

1 hour ago, Sinker said:

Why not? I get the impression you are pretty closed minded to bass only. Sorry if I'm wrong, but thats the way you come across to me. I haven't fished for a bass in probably 25 years. I just don't get why so many are into it, other than money, and some of the richest people I know are broke. Think about that. 

S. 

couldnt be more wrong lol

depending on the season I go from Ice fishing for crappies, to fishing for pike and walleye, then to bass, the odd laketrout trip mixed in, Then fly fishing for salmon and trout in rivers, then back to walleye and musky, then ice fishing pike, then ice fishing walleye and laketrout and rinse repeat.

When was the last time you rigged up rod holders on a bass boat? It can be done its not ideal. Thats what my aluminum is for.

18 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

When was the last time you rigged up rod holders on a bass boat? It can be done its not ideal.

Wrong. Guys that fish Erie from bass boats,have rod holders rigged up. Do some research. I know,as I was on bass boats for 3 days on Erie with pros. Their set ups were very slick.

Edited by misfish

I’m 33 and musky is my favourite fish to catch. I see plenty of people fishing musky as well. Not nearly as much as bass but there’s always been plenty of bass guys. Lots of walleye fishermen around here, too. 

As for baits, most of my best baits just look stupid in the water and you wonder why a fish would go for it, yet they work.