Outboard issues.....

Looking for a little assistance...having issues with my mid 70`s 15 HP Evinrude...it starts but will not run.

I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it up but I think it needs a rebuild...the attached picture shows what looks like a hole where the needle valve goes not sure if that is normal or has a piece worn and broke off...also the wire that connects the float to the needle valve was missing...Any assistance would be appreciated.

carb.jpeg

Edited by lookinforwalleye

The fuel needs to flow in from somewhere, but can't be sure that is the way is should look. I'm not seeing the needle seat, did you remove it? You can buy the carb kit for that motor and it should have everything in it.  Not sure how something would break away in that location.

4 hours ago, jimmer said:

The fuel needs to flow in from somewhere, but can't be sure that is the way is should look. I'm not seeing the needle seat, did you remove it? You can buy the carb kit for that motor and it should have everything in it.  Not sure how something would break away in that location.

4 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Has someone else taken this carb apart? It looks like the needle valve seat is missing all together. Also, that the spring holding the valve to the float is missing????  Not adding up!

4 hours ago, jimmer said:

Yes it definitely has been apart before. I have the seat and the valve but the wire to attach everything to the float was not there, the float looks like the original cork version.

I was not sure if that open should be there but it does make sense that the fuel flows in from there...I plan on getting a kit and rebuilding it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Order a carb rebuild kit from Amazon which was okay, some of the kit would not fit....anyways replaced the float and needle valve and gaskets and gave it a real good clean and now she seems to be running pretty good....Thanks!

Resized_20190715_151337_8521001.jpeg

Edited by lookinforwalleye
picture added
  • Like 3